mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Yelli Screamy Wheels - Canfield 29ers vs Hope Hoops Flow Ex vs HH Arch Ex

I'm 160# and don't take a lot of hard hits. I pre ordered a Yelli with the new batch shipping next month and it'll be my first build. I'm planning a 120mm fork in it too, and it'll be a do it all "trail" bike (I live in San Antonio, and it's kind of flat, but every now and then will take trips to hillier places).

What do you guys think about the Canfield wheelset? They don't seem to be too much heavier than a set of Hope Hoops with Flows. Would the Arches be more appropriate for me? I'm not to sure how much the room width difference would affect the ride.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Yelli Screamy Wheels - Canfield 29ers vs Hope Hoops Flow Ex vs HH Arch Ex

As for the Stan's runs, At your weight where you live I would go with Arch EXs. If you're crawling a lot of rocks I would go with Flow EXs for the wider footprint.

I am not familiar enough with the Canfield wheels to compare them to the other two so maybe someone will be able to chime in with them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'm 150# but probably 160# all geared up with water pack. I thought of getting the Flows too, but ended up going with ArchEX for my Yelli build. I've had the older Arch wheelset on another bike for a several years now and they have held up really well even with all the abuse it's been through. You really can't go wrong with either one. No experience with the Canfield wheels so can't comment on those.

Pointer's comment above should be considered about what trails you're actually riding.
    Vassago Jabberwocky SS
    Santa Cruz Highball
    Canfield Yelli Screamy
    Yeti SB95

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hopes with flows on my yelli,

165#s riding weight. To me the weight difference between archs and flows in negligible. you can save similar weight doing a million things to a bike. I prefer flows for the slightly wider rim and there a little bit tougher. I ride in western NC aka Pisgah and there are plenty of rugged descents and rocks and whatnot. I've had the wheels about 6 months and they have held up great so far.

Enjoy the Yelli...it rips

mtbr member
    I have a couple sets of Hope hubs and they've been very durable, but they are obnoxiously loud.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for the input guys. Does anyone have any idea how the Canfield wheels measure up? They seem to be similar weight, at the very least, and are quite a bit cheaper.

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by moosington View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. Does anyone have any idea how the Canfield wheels measure up? They seem to be similar weight, at the very least, and are quite a bit cheaper.
    When we re-launched our wheel program last year our goals were to offer a light, stout wheelset at an affordable price to help our riders build their dream bikes. Our front hub is similar in design to a Hope, only a few grams lighter. The rear hubs are low maintenance and super fast rolling. The biggest upgrade however, is our new rims. Our All Mountains are a svelte 440g- 26", 450g- 27.5" and only 470g for the 29ers and all measure 28mm wide. The Dynamal material allows for light weights, yet keeps them stiff and tough. (Lance and Chris actually tested the AM's on their DH bikes for over a season!). Lastly, to really makes these wheels a killer value, we offer a $75 discount on the wheels when purchasing them with your new frame.
    Last edited by KillingtonVT; 06-23-2014 at 07:34 PM.