mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Yelli Screamy vs Kona Process 111DL

OK so I got a season of riding the Yelli. It was a vast improvement over the GT Karakoram, but did not inspire as much confidence as I would have hoped. The build was made up of mostly parts from the GT, including the low level 3x9 drivetrain, RS Recon Silver TK fork, and basic Shimano brakes. I did pimp out the fork a little by bumping travel up to 120mm and installing a MoCo damper with remote lockout, again a HUGE improvement. I still struggled in high speed rock gardens, techy downhills, and tight off camber downhill switchbacks. The brakes were a big contributor to this since they started to squeal and lose power mid season and no matter what I tried could not get it to quit.

So I am putting the GT back together and selling it along with an extra road bike to fund a fat bike. Which leaves me without a fork and drivetrain. I picked up a set of Avid XX brakes for a good price and hopefully they will be an upgrade over the bottom basement Shimanos.

So here is my question. If I put a Revelation XX 120mm fork and a decent drivetrain back on the Yelli will it perform almost as well as a Process 111? I'd like to spend a bit more on the fatbike, but I found a Kona for sale locally for $3400 which will blow my budget all to hell.

I have an extra X9 10 speed RD and cassette. So all I would need is a fork, crankset, BB, shifters, chain, discs and front hub to be back up and running which will cost about $850.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have both of those bikes right now and they are quite different in many obvious ways but very similar as well.

I generally use the Canfield as my day to day XC bike and the Kona is used for weekend trips to the mountains in Pisgah National Forest and the occasional enduro race. They are both great bikes but the Canfield is more versatile. It can do everything the Kona can but you just have to check your speed in the rough stuff. The Kona full squish is a welcome relief to the harsh Canfield but you get used to it. Also, my Canfield and process have similar builds but the Kona is about 5lbs heavier. It's a bit of a porker.

The Process is sweet though. I'm really glad I have it and if I lived in the mountains rather than the foothills it'd be my day to day bike. Having read your post a little more closely, the Kona would work well for you. However, the brakes and a good fork maybe one with a thru-axle, and a good set of brakes would probably transform the bike.

P.S., I've got a great fork for the Yelli for pretty cheap if you are interested in staying on a budget. PM me if you are interested.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    thanks for the reply. That is what I wanted to know. I will continue to re-build the Yelli and look for a longer travel 27.5 trail bike to have a bigger difference. Thanks for the offer on the fork too. I picked up a new 120mm Revelation XX for a pretty good price.