Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Fake it 'til you make it

We the people ... Yelli Screamy V2 .........DESIRES

The Yelli was a game changer for me. I was committed to the 29er concept and had been rocking a Karate Monkey in an aggressive XC style for years, here in the PacNW. But, upon a return move to Bellingham, WA, I realized that this wasn't going to work anymore, and luckily, it was the same time that the YS was announced...

2011 was an amazing year for me and the Yelli. That frame was such an inspiring new weapon that I broke many of my personal benchmarks, such as total mileage, altitude gain, and finally, broke into the AM/FR aspect of our sport. Jumps are awesome!

Now today, as I have finished rebuilding the Yelli for this season, stoked for the usable light now available after work, I contemplated my previous season riding this wonderful frame and the small details I desired for along the way.

I know the Can Bros watch this forum, so I thought it would be a great place for the community of YS OWNERS to give some feedback, and hopefully, influence the guys to take their amazing creation to a more mature and refined level.

I'll start:

-#1 Chainguide support
    I don't mind being stuck with a 32t chainring. I know the BB area has design challenges. But this bike needs chain retention given the confidence it inspires. I personally use a Blackspire stinger that has been heavily modified to get the job done when in 2x9 trim. But when Summer and my fitness comes back, I drop the granny gear and and want proper single-ring retension, instead of leaving my non-connected FD locked into "guidance mode". If it needs to be, I will happily purchase a CB produced full coverage chainguide ala MRP,etc, that works exclusively for the YS and 32t chainrings.

-#2 Thru-axle dropouts
    This frame already has a pretty stiff rearend, the only real factor being the hubs that it accepts. The rest of the industry, within the AM/FR sector, is embracing the rear thru-axle, and as this bike is an aggro exciter, it needs it too.

-#3 The water bottle bosses
    I ride a size large frame. I removed the bosses on the seat tube to facilitate proper seatpost operation. Lose the seat tube WB bosses, please! The DT WB would be much better an inch lower than their current location.

-#4 The Seatclamp keyhole
    Facing the rear of the bike, it collects crud and water thrown from the rear wheel. Place it facing forward and the issues of mud in the seat tube are gone.

That's it on my side!

What do you want?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JLantz View Post
    -#1 Chainguide support
    I drop the granny gear and and want proper single-ring retension, instead of leaving my non-connected FD locked into "guidance mode". If it needs to be, I will happily purchase a CB produced full coverage chainguide ala MRP,etc, that works exclusively for the YS and 32t chainrings.
    Not quite sure I understand what you want here, but the MRP Lopes SL (sans bashguard) and the G2 Mini SL (w/ bashguard) already work perfectly with a 32T up front after looking at people's setup. There is no place for ISCG05 tabs AFAIK
    -#2 Thru-axle dropouts
    This frame already has a pretty stiff rearend, the only real factor being the hubs that it accepts. The rest of the industry, within the AM/FR sector, is embracing the rear thru-axle, and as this bike is an aggro exciter, it needs it too.
    With the exception of the new Transition TransAM 29er with the 142x12 rear axle, just about every other AM-style 29er hardtail (Kona Honzo, Banshee Paradox, 2Souls QH, Chromag Surface) is the standard 135x10 QR, and I'm totally fine with that.

If you want a stiffer rear on the current 135x10 QR, I suggest going with a bolt-thru 10mm rear hub axle or a bolt-on axle style hub. I'm running the former on my TransAM and it stiffens things quite a bit from the regular QR skewer.

As for my Yelli Screamy Version 2 wants/recommendations, I would simply ask for a longer seat tube like a 21" or 21.5" for us taller guys. One of the main reasons I sold the purple V1 frame I had was I'm not going to be running another frame with a Thomson 410 post at the max again. Also ditch the water bottle mounts from the seat tube, 2 pairs on the downtube are plenty.

And something like a titanium anodized grey color with white decals would be nice too.
    Last edited by eurospek; 01-30-2012 at 08:37 PM.

The White Jeff W
    I really love mine and probably wouldn't change much. The bottom bracket area seems to be the area most people talk about. Crankset compatability, tire/derailleur clearance, no ISCG tabs, and I had ice buildup to the point it was dragging on the tire last week and mud accumulates here too. Id say a redesign of this area would be my priority.

No moss...

Fake it 'til you make it
    Thanks for contributing, guys.

The BB region design was among the many features of this frame that intrigued me, and ultimately, led to the purchase. Its design provides very short CS for a 29er, and a seat tube angle so slack, that when the climb height is set, the saddle moves WAY forward when totally slammed (these two are my most used positions) and it gets the f* out of the way.

My chainguide issue comes from the need to run BB mounted hardware. These are notoriously finicky to set up, and are frankly, a thing of past. I would like to see the CBros come up with their own BB tabs (for the YS) that incorporate an adapter to work with the current ISGS standard. Their BB region design is a compromise, but as the popularity of this frame shows, it is an acceptable one.

The fact that Transition Bikes decided to incorporate the thru-axle on their 29er HT is proof enough that the CBros need to do it. TBC have their finger solidly on the pulse, Bro.

Jeffw-13: Nice snow pack. That sh*t's going to happen no matter how much clearance you have. Build a snow bike!

mtbr member
    ISCG tabs - I'd be willing to bet that if you want ISCG tabs, you can either have short chainstays or tire clearance for large tires, but not all three.

Water bottle bosses - It seems like the issue with the water bottle bosses was fixed on the second run as I can slam the seat with no issues.

Thru-Axle - I'm using a Hope hub with a 10mm bolt on axle and the rear feels plenty stiff to me. I do like the 142mm hub/axle idea, but I'm not sure if it's necessary on the YS, but I'd welcome it if they decided to go this route. On the downside, a thru-axle would be an additional expense.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't change anything on my YS.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    ISCG tabs - I'd be willing to bet that if you want ISCG tabs, you can either have short chainstays or tire clearance for large tires, but not all three.
    Well said.

I can easily live with BB mounted guides if that means chainstays under 16.5 and 2.4 tire clearances.

mtbr member
    I really didn't like the braze on's for cable routing under the top tube. Trying to get two lines on, and look good was hard enough. Three would be harder.
    A new graphics package would make the frame look better in my opinion.

Leave the geo as is, and just change some small features like bosses, braze-ons and graphics. me = happy

Fake it 'til you make it
    Buy the Canfield Brothers innovative, classic frame, or Specialized's new 2013 29 HT EVO?

Sorrry, CanBros, but you have to up your game.

Innovate or die, right?

mtbr member
    Buy the Canfield Brothers innovative, classic frame, or Specialized's new 2013 29 HT EVO?

Sorrry, CanBros, but you have to up your game.

Innovate or die, right?
    Any info?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I would fully support the first 3 things listed.

ISCG tabs would make mounting a guide or stinger much easier and provide a stronger mounting option for chain retention and you might be able to run a Hammershcmidt (if you wanted to).

Thru axle drop outs would up be a nice bonus and it would make it easier to remove the rear wheel (I find that I often need to wrestle the rear wheel out of the dropouts).

I also agree that there is no need for the seat tube braze-ons although I can easily avoid this issue by justifying a dropper post to the wife.

As a side note, specialized makes a side loading Z cage that is really nice in the tight space provided for the water bottles. They even come in right and left hand specific.

Happy Trails,
    Winky

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Winky View Post
    I would fully support the first 3 things listed.

ISCG tabs would make mounting a guide or stinger much easier and provide a stronger mounting option for chain retention and you might be able to run a Hammershcmidt (if you wanted to)
    Like I mentioned earlier...You can have short chainstays, tire clearance or ISCG tabs, but not all three. My preference would be for short chainstays and tire clearance and not for ISCG tabs.

Thru axle drop outs would up be a nice bonus and it would make it easier to remove the rear wheel (I find that I often need to wrestle the rear wheel out of the dropouts).
    I'm using a Hope 135 x 10 bolt on rear axle and have no problems removing the rear hub from the dropouts.

I also agree that there is no need for the seat tube braze-ons although I can easily avoid this issue by justifying a dropper post to the wife. :thumbsup
    I have no issues dropping the seat post on my YS. The seat tube braze-ons are not an issue on the latest runs.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Canfield Brothers
    Hey guys, thanks for all the thoughts. Let me go through the ideas behind the YS details. It was designed to be a AM hardtail with very agressive geometry.

Some of the limitations and compromises of a short chainstay are that there is very little space to fit a lower yoke/chainstays between the tire and the chainrings.

We excluded ISCG tabs because alot of guides interfer with the short chainstays and a Hammerschmidt back plate is so big, it requires a much longer chainstay to fit. Having a guide attached to the direct mount tab helps keep the bike looking clean when the front derailleur isn't used. The Lopes and the 1X guide from MRP are great options that fit well. You can always use a crank mounted bash if you need that. This is the only frame that gives you as many options. Most importantly (to me) the short chainstay with clearance for big tires and, if wanted, a front derailleur with a 3 ring.

We used a standard QR because of how common parts are. Its easy to find light wheels in a QR setup, just a little harder with a thru axle. There are a few solid options for a QR like the DT swiss qr. We like the thru axle idea but thats going to be a new frame.

The bosses in the seat tube are gone on the new frames.

Turning around the seat clamp cutout is a good thought.

Seat tube lengths will stay the same on this bike but we have (N9) and will have other options for those looking for a longer seat tube. The Yelli focus is a low top tube, get the seat low and out of the way for more aggressive riding kind of bike.

We used a single cable router under the top tube so that no mater how many cables you run, you won't have extra ones cluttering up the looks. I feel it is the best option, clean, light, only what is needed, no more.

We have been working with some great graphics guys lately, hoping we will have some fun new looks while trying to maintain a classic, timeless look.

Keep the ideas coming, we appreciate it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yelli Screamy V2 .........DESIRES-cables.jpg  

Yelli Screamy V2 .........DESIRES-cables-2.jpg  

http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Seat tube lengths will stay the same on this bike but we have (N9) and will have other options for those looking for a longer seat tube
    A new model??

Fake it 'til you make it
    Thank you very much for replying, flymybike. I am stoked to support a company like yours.

Is the BB w/tabs design limited by the desire to make this frame compatible with a triple? I doubt that even 10% of the riders are using that configuration, and frankly, if they need the big ring, this is not the frame for them.

You tell of options, but in reality, we are limited to the two CGs you mentioned and the BS Stinger. I would like to see a change based on current CGs (with bashes) that you design the frame to work around, while maintaining the Yelli's great rear end attributes. I.E, the frame is made to work with a specific manufacture's CG and none other.

You frame is a specialty item that, for the most part, only enthusiasts that build their own rides buy. If there is any doubt whether your customers will be turned off by a mandatory part requirement (for only those that require such a configuration), I see no merit to compromise the frame's details to meet their needs. Like the headset issue, we will eventually get it and be appreciative.

Your Yelli is a total ripper design, please don't hold it back.

Keep it up, CanBros, you guys have greatly influenced my riding. Stoked!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I actually have a question for the current version: Do you think the new RockShox Reverb Stealth seatpost hydro line could be run through the water bottle boss on the bottom of the down tube? Is the inside path open to the seat tube? If not then that option would be cool for the next gen.

Other desires:
    1. A purple Ano to raw fade special color would look amazing.
    2. A light, SS ready Carbon version of the frame would be cool too.

Canfield Brothers
    JLantz - I'm trying to figure out what guide your hoping to fit? MRP, E-13, Sunline and Gamut all have guides that fit.I'm sure theres more. Everyone of them offer a BB mount and MRP and E13 have a direct mount. The bash ring is attached to the 4 bolt spider so you can run one with most all of these guides. I like the MRP 1X and the E-13 XCX-ST D-Type because they use the direct mount for the guide. Both can be used with a bash ring.

There is a hole in the bottom of the seat tube that you could run the hydro hose into. It would be a hard one to fish through though.
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

Fake it 'til you make it
    UGH, I feel like a dumbass.

I didn't know of the MRP Mini G2 BB mount.

Thanks for helping me come around.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Hey Flymybike,
    I rode the sh*t out of my yelli last season, and all I have to say is, you guys absolutely killed it on this bike!

The only change I'd request, you've already made- ditching the WB bosses on the seat tube.

I run an MRP lopes guide, BB mount, it's fine.

Also running a DT swiss 10mm through-bolt, and the rear is super stiff. It's a hardtail, not much flex to fix anyways.

The cable routing is perfect. I have individual guides for 4 full length cables on my other hardtail, it's a mess. Much easier to use 1 zip-tie to hold all 4 cables.

Everything else = perfect. Clearance for big tires, stiff, light, strong, geometry takes all kinds of fork lengths and climbs and descends awesome. Great work!

mtbr member
    UGH, I feel like a dumbass.

I didn't know of the MRP Mini G2 BB mount.

Thanks for helping me come around.
    Here is the MRP mini G2 bb mount on my yelli.

No issues with fit on the frame at all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yelli Screamy V2 .........DESIRES-dsc00939.jpg  

mtbr member
    The New batch is getting cut today- should be welding later this week.
    Can't wait for the new line of bright Anodized colors too-
    And YES- the WB bosses are removed on seat tube on this round.
    As well this is the first frame to get the new Head tube badges- Same skull but thicker and with the C and eyes cut out. So stoked. I have a sample badge on my Proto Jedi= and it looks so cool.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cSquared View Post
    The New batch is getting cut today- should be welding later this week.
    Can't wait for the new line of bright Anodized colors too-
    And YES- the WB bosses are removed on seat tube on this round.
    As well this is the first frame to get the new Head tube badges- Same skull but thicker and with the C and eyes cut out. So stoked. I have a sample badge on my Proto Jedi= and it looks so cool.
    Will we be able to buy the head badge? Mine is starting to come up.

Fake it 'til you make it
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshM View Post
    Here is the MRP mini G2 bb mount on my yelli.

No issues with fit on the frame at all.
    Thanks, Dude.

Have you ever even ridden that thing? So clean.

mtbr member
    Thanks, Dude.

Have you ever even ridden that thing? So clean.
    Pic was taken right after the bike was built.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by riiz View Post
    Will we be able to buy the head badge? Mine is starting to come up.
    Yes,
    As soon as they come in - we will have them on the webstore-

beater
    Cool. Mine is lifting a bit at one side, too.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast