Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Flow

yelli screamy sizing?

I am 5' 11" 160lbs and have a 33 inch inseam. I currently ride a size M Salsa Big Mama and really like the way it fits (ETT of 23.5, 100mm stem and 18" seat tube). I decided I wanted to ride a hard tail again (used to have a L Mamasita ETT of 24.5" ) and the YS made the short list of 29er frames with short chainstays. However, I cannot decide what size YS to get. The L YS has a top tube of 24.5 and I am afraid it will be too long. I felt the 24.5" ETT of my old Mamasita was too long for me and ended up running a 60mm stem to get the cockpit to where it felt good. The M YS has the proper ETT but with 16.5" seat tube I am worried about getting enough seat post extension for proper pedaling. I would be running the frame with a reverb dropper post. My calculations show that I should be able to get enough extension on the M frame but I will be uncomfortably close to the minimum insertion point on the post. Ideally I would test ride the different sizes but realistically that is probably not going to happen (Anyone with a M or L YS in Blacksburg, VA that they would be willing to let me briefly test ride?). So what size YS are people with longish legs and shortish torsos running?

Thanks,

-Brett

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I think the effective seat tube angle and thereby the effective top tube distance is a bit miss leading on the YS. The seattube does not directly attach to the BB but is welded to the bottom tube a few inches up the bottom bracket. So instead of having a 73 degree seat angle the ST is actually 70.5 meaning the seat will be back a bit farther than you are expecting especially when the seat is set high.

I am still getting to know my YS but my early impressions is that this is not the best butt-on-seat ride.

I am 6'0" and I am running a 140mm, with a relatively high stack, 50mm stem with 30 inch bars and I love the slacker effect on this ride. Given the rider weight/mass is towards the back its easy to get the front wheel up. As a result I am more aggressive flowing into the steeper stuff than I have been with other 29ers.

I find myself riding more out of the saddle than on so I can attack the terrain. With the short wheelbase and chain length the YS very responsive and acts more like a 26er but with the added ability to roll over the small stuff.

I am still running my summer tires (low tread) so I yet to attack corners given the recent wet weather in the Seattle area. I am waiting for some Specialized Purgatory Controls to arrive at my LBS.
    Last edited by jdusto; 10-11-2011 at 02:07 PM. Reason: poor grammer
    The quiver: 2010 Santa Cruz Nomad, 2011 Specialized Demo II, 2011 Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Yeah, Jdusto's got it right.
    Top tube length is a product of seat angle, and the seat angle on the yelli is misleading for the reasons Jdusto went into.. plus, it's based on ( I think) a 100mm fork, so if you're running a 120 or a 140 the seat angle is off anyways

So stack and reach are really what count, and your riding style...I'd be inclined to suggest the medium and find a seatpost that's long enough. (A 150mm kindshock might be longer than the reverb, and more durable in my experience too).

FWIW I'm 2" shorter than you, long inseam, on a medium with a 50mm stem and 30" wide riser bars, slammed.

Flow
    Thanks for your inputs. I was leaning toward the medium because I want a bike that is agile and can be relatively easily manualed. I cannot manual very well (i.e., not at all) on the big mama and I miss the ability to manual undulations in the trail. I will be running a Marz 44 chainlove special set at 140mm although I may lower it to 120mm if I feel the bb is too high and/or the ha is too slack. jdusto, what size is your YS?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I have a L frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes475 View Post
    Thanks for your inputs. I was leaning toward the medium because I want a bike that is agile and can be relatively easily manualed. I cannot manual very well (i.e., not at all) on the big mama and I miss the ability to manual undulations in the trail. I will be running a Marz 44 special set at 140mm although I may lower it to 120mm if I feel the bb is too high and/or the ha is too slack. jdusto, what size is your YS?
    The quiver: 2010 Santa Cruz Nomad, 2011 Specialized Demo II, 2011 Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'm in the same boat as you on sizing - I went with a medium YS ultimately and am glad that I did. I'm 5'10" with a 34" inseam, usually run my seat for pedaling (road, race, etc.) around 77.5 to 78 cm; the frame and the post I'm running (400 mm RF Turbine) will do that just barely. I usually run the seat around 74 mm for trail riding and that is more than fine, and as noted before, I agree that standing in rough stuff is sometimes better on this frame (lowering the seat is ideal - I wouldn't mind running a dropper post in the future). I'm running a 70 mm stem at a 120 mm fork - cockpit is quite good for me.
    1 Bike Shy of a Full Quiver

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattlock26 View Post
    I'm 5'10" with a 34" inseam, usually run my seat for pedaling (road, race, etc.) around 77.5 to 78 cm;
    Is that measurement top of saddle to BB?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yes, I measure from the top of the saddle to the middle of the BB.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm 6'2 on the money with long arms and long legs (35 inch inseam). You guys think a large would be to small?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanM View Post
    I'm 6'2 on the money with long arms and long legs (35 inch inseam). You guys think a large would be to small?
    The Large has only an 18" seattube which is kinda short. It all depends how far you like your seatpost. There are people around your height on M or L frames so it's all preference.

mtbr member
    May 2008

I bought based on ETTL

My seatpost is nearly maxed, but I'm very happy with the Medium; primarily because I have a long inseam at ~35 inches, but am on the short side for that dimension at 5'9". the reach on the medium with 70 mm stem has been perfect for me. Take care to consider the reach; it is long in proportion to the seat tube for this frame.

One other consideration - don't know where you ride, but for me in New England where things are pretty tight, it's been great having the wheelbase of the smaller frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    @Mattlock26, you are 5'9" with a 35" inseam? Holy moly!

I don't know which size to order myself. I am 5'9" with 29 1/4" inseam.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yeah, one reason why I went with the Yelli is so that I could get my bike handling skills up to complement my "freaky" dimensions in case I ever wanted to get into the circus!

At 5'9" with ~30" inseam, I would say Medium all the way. My optimal (road, XC), BB to saddle height is around 77.8 cm; I ride more at 74 cm since this thing is used about 100% on technical trails. One thing that you could do if you're unclear on sizing is use the Competitve Cyclist or Wrench Science website fit calculators. Those are geared to dialing in road or XC race proportions, but give you a good idea of what frame dimensions and stem lengths to look at. For technical riding, I run the seat about 1.5" lower than optimal height, and I like to have a bit less stretched out cockpit as well (shorter stem and reach than road); I run a 70 mm stem and 28 inch wide bars.

Hope that helps!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I too am unsure if i should go with a M or L. I am 5'11", with a long torso and 31" inseam. I currently ride a M Salsa Big Mama, with a 70 mm stem.

I am leaning toward a M, I'm more into DH/DJ, and technical riding. I am just concerned about the short seat tube.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I would definitely go with optimal ETTL vs. seat tube - seat tube length is fairly irrelevant for this frame I think given riding intent and ability to get a good post (plus a bit more post gives some give to knock off chop, etc.). At 5"11" with a long torso, a medium may be tight. I think the ETTL for a 120 mm fork on the medium is around 600 give or take; figure with a 70 mm stem that's 670 mm. You might compare that to your Salsa to see how close it is.

WNC Native
    j.les- I'm also 5'11" with a 31" cycling inseam. I recently had a custom frame built and was actually shocked at the reach number we came to after fitting/testing.

I just ordered a large. No way a med would work for me.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    6'3" with ~36" inseam. Thinking Large?

Man, that Marz 44 Micro seems like a steal, how are ya'll liking it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus2112 View Post
    6'3" with ~36" inseam. Thinking Large?

Man, that Marz 44 Micro seems like a steal, how are ya'll liking it?
    You've got pretty long legs.
    The 20" ST on the XL is going to be your friend.

I ended up ordering an XL, and I will run a 50-70mm stem. I'm 6'4" with a 34" inseam.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I also ended going with XL due to the 20 inch ST. With a 70mm stem and 777mm wide bars, it should be spot on.

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshM View Post
    You've got pretty long legs.
    The 20" ST on the XL is going to be your friend.

I ended up ordering an XL, and I will run a 50-70mm stem. I'm 6'4" with a 34" inseam.
    Id also recommend the XL. Im 6'3" on an XL. I was worried it would be too big but it's perfect with a 70mm stem. With the short chainstay the wheelbase is roughly the same as most mfg's large bikes
    No moss...

Flow
    I finally got my medium YS built up. The size feels good (5'11", 33 inch inseam) but I have not gotten a proper ride in yet. With all the rain in the east these last few days, the trails are too wet. I am running an 80mm stem with ridiculously wide sunline flat bars. I may cut the bars down some if they prove to be too wide. Pics coming soon.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies, I'm super stoked about this frame!

mtbr member
    ^ What size and colour are you going to get?

My vote is always for the Black Ano.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshM View Post
    ^ What size and colour are you going to get?

My vote is always for the Black Ano.
    Yeah, I like the black ano too, but I'm feeling crazy with this one... I just got the bug last night so I have yet to see what's available.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Is March the next batch of frames? Any changes or new colors anticipated?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast