Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig View Post
    Doesn't 18" seem a little too short of a seat tube for a size L frame?
    Compared to other frames, yes. But it fits with the Yelli design esthetic; low-slung. That's one of the hallmarks of this frame. I tried an L, but at 6'2" I needed the XL. The reach could have worked (with a longer stem, which is not right for this bike), but the seat tube never would have worked. See post #31.

Morgan

bicycle rider
    Sorry, I meant "stack" not as in stack height of the head tube, but the vertical stack measurement from the BB to where it intersects with thehorizontal "reach" line. I'm finding that knowing the stack and reach is a better indication of overall bike fit than ETT or ST numbers. Canfield's website gives the reach number, but not the stack.
    Ah, I'm not familiar with that way of sizing. Since the head tube remains constant length across sizes, I'd think your definition of stack would, too. I ride an XL with a 140mm fork, and my seat likes to be 81.5cm from saddle top to bb center, measured along the (virtual) seat tube. FWIW

Morgan

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, I'm sorta leggy for my height (FWIW, whenever I hop on anybody else's bike who is roughly my height, the saddle feels too low), so I'm afraid the L Yelli would be too small and the XL would be too big. However, the L Nimble 9 looks almost perfect from a geometry standpoint. Looks like I will be Nimble instead of Yelli.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yeah, I'm sorta leggy for my height (FWIW, whenever I hop on anybody else's bike who is roughly my height, the saddle feels too low), so I'm afraid the L Yelli would be too small and the XL would be too big. However, the L Nimble 9 looks almost perfect from a geometry standpoint. Looks like I will be Nimble instead of Yelli.

Please let me know how the frame fits. I've got very similar measurements (6'0 and 34.5 inseam) and really desire a yelli for the weight savings, but don't like the seatpost height w/ the frame (especially on the L compared to the XL).

I'm also on an on-one scandal 19.5 and have some difficulties with cockpit comfort vs. handling (recently went setback post with 90mm stem and I've tried no setback with 120mm stem, etc, etc.). Its close to getting dialed regarding handling, but still get some neck and shoulder pain. I think 100mm stem is probably best for comfort, but really miss the handling of the 90mm when I change it.....

Anyway, both canfield frames look awesome. My xc riding buddy has a carbon chinese hongfu fm-056 and the 69.5 slack headtube along with the low bb make a big difference on descents compared to the On-One with 72 and high bb.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Well. Same problem here. 6'2'' around 33'' inseam and dilemma about L or XL size. My local shop only has L size for a great price. Getting XL would mean 250 Euro more. So it's L with KS dropper post or XL with no dropper post for me.

I have Cube Stereo 29er now L size (which is 20'') and it's OK. Not sure if perfect as this is my first 29er and all for me feel big after 26'' (which were too small for sure). I run 70mm stem on my Cube and it's OK. I even consider shorter one. I hate long stems and I want to avoid one on Yelli.

Any advice? L with dropper or XL without?

bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelo303 View Post
    Well. Same problem here. 6'2'' around 33'' inseam and dilemma about L or XL size. My local shop only has L size for a great price. Getting XL would mean 250 Euro more. So it's L with KS dropper post or XL with no dropper post for me.

I have Cube Stereo 29er now L size (which is 20'') and it's OK. Not sure if perfect as this is my first 29er and all for me feel big after 26'' (which were too small for sure). I run 70mm stem on my Cube and it's OK. I even consider shorter one. I hate long stems and I want to avoid one on Yelli.

Any advice? L with dropper or XL without?
    XL without.

Morgan

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by morganfletcher View Post
    XL without.

Morgan
    Damn! I was afraid you will say that.

Thanks...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I double checked. I am actually (187 cm not 189) = 6'1'' (2cm difference) and my inseam is almost 34'' (86 cm, hard to measure really). So I am slightly smaller guy than expected with slightly longer legs. I assume XL frame? Correct?

PS> Morgan you are the best. I read all your entries. I wish I could test it myself before paying $$$$. In Europe (Ireland) this frame costs 1300$!!! you know (shipping 200$+Tax+Duty). I cannot make mistake here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    And finally. Planning to get 120mm or 140mm fork. 740mm handlebar. 70mm stem. (current bike setup) If that helps.

bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelo303 View Post
    I double checked. I am actually (187 cm not 189) = 6'1'' (2cm difference) and my inseam is almost 34'' (86 cm, hard to measure really). So I am slightly smaller guy than expected with slightly longer legs. I assume XL frame? Correct?

PS> Morgan you are the best. I read all your entries. I wish I could test it myself before paying $$$$. In Europe (Ireland) this frame costs 1300$!!! you know (shipping 200$+Tax+Duty). I cannot make mistake here.
    This is a tough one. I understand where you're at! I'm 6'2". Not sure of my inseam, but my saddle height with 175mm cranks is about 81.5cm, using TIME ATAC pedals and SIDI Dominator shoes. I'd offer you my bike to try! Maybe a cheap round-trip flight to SFO is in order.

My son is 5'11", and with his saddle at his preferred pedaling height of 79cm bb center to saddle top, he is already past the MAX line of his Race Face 375mm seatpost, with WTB Volt saddle, on his L Yelli Screamy, also with TIME ATAC pedals. I think we can get him a taller seatpost. He says he's on the tall side for his large. (He's 16.)

If you have a current bike that has the saddle at the right spot, check your saddle top to bb center distance, and compare with ours.

Another thought; I just got a set of Spank Spike platform pedals and some Five Ten shoes, and I'm going to try riding that way for a while. I'm pretty sure I'll have to drop my saddle height due to the lower pedal platform, and moving my foot toward the arch over the pedal spindle. I talked to two of my friends who've switched to flats and they both told me their saddle dropped 15-20mm. (These guys are both about 6'.) So, if you are currently riding "clipless" pedals (SPD, ATAC, Eggbeater) and you want to make the L fit, *and* you want to get rad on the bike, maybe try some of the new, thin, platform pedals.

And seriously, if you come to CA, you can ride mine.

Morgan

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by morganfletcher View Post
    This is a tough one. I understand where you're at! I'm 6'2". Not sure of my inseam, but my saddle height with 175mm cranks is about 81.5cm, using TIME ATAC pedals and SIDI Dominator shoes. I'd offer you my bike to try! Maybe a cheap round-trip flight to SFO is in order.

My son is 5'11", and with his saddle at his preferred pedaling height of 79cm bb center to saddle top, he is already past the MAX line of his Race Face 375mm seatpost, with WTB Volt saddle, on his L Yelli Screamy, also with TIME ATAC pedals. I think we can get him a taller seatpost. He says he's on the tall side for his large. (He's 16.)

If you have a current bike that has the saddle at the right spot, check your saddle top to bb center distance, and compare with ours.

Another thought; I just got a set of Spank Spike platform pedals and some Five Ten shoes, and I'm going to try riding that way for a while. I'm pretty sure I'll have to drop my saddle height due to the lower pedal platform, and moving my foot toward the arch over the pedal spindle. I talked to two of my friends who've switched to flats and they both told me their saddle dropped 15-20mm. (These guys are both about 6'.) So, if you are currently riding "clipless" pedals (SPD, ATAC, Eggbeater) and you want to make the L fit, *and* you want to get rad on the bike, maybe try some of the new, thin, platform pedals.

And seriously, if you come to CA, you can ride mine.

Morgan

Morgan you are a star. I will do BB - seat distance test on my current bike and compare it to yours. Plus I will take my current seat post and measure it on yelli L frame. If it's decent enough I will go with L. If it's too stretched I will order XL. I use flats so that helps as well.

Thanks again for your help. You should get some love form Canfield Bros for your help

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate it.

mtbr member
    XL, especially if you're running a short stem. I'm 5'11" and am on a L
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    mikelo - I'm 187cm and my saddle height is 80cm (don't remember inseam measure).
    I ride an XL Yelli.
    At first (three years ago) I built it with 120mm fork, offset seatpost and 80mm stem,
    then changed to 140mm fork, straight seatpost and 65mm stem,
    and finally 150mm fork, straight seatpost and 50mm stem.
    I still love it.
    Next upgrade may be 45mm wide rims and a 29+ front tire.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I am the same as you, almost exactly - i have a large with 60mm stem and WIDE bars with a dropper and stans flow EX wide rims, the bike is a bit small but playful - pretty much what i want. Not set up for 30 mile rides though, but perfect for 10-15 miles rides. IF you want to do longer rides you might need a longer stem 80-90mm, but with my setup i can manual easily so its fun to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanM View Post
    I'm 6'2 on the money with long arms and long legs (35 inch inseam). You guys think a large would be to small?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    5'9" here with long arms. I ride a L Nomad now with 60mm stem and it shreds. I'm super comfortable on it size wise but its not fun on big climbing days with a 160mm fork. I want to build a hardtail for long days/races here in western NC. The yelli is perfect for this with a 120mm fork but I'm torn on size. I have a long reach for my height and prefer a large frame but switching to 29er I'm worried about a L being too big. Any help folks?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'm 5'11 and ride a medium yelli
    Using a fox doss dropper and I'm pretty comfortable on it.
    2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by surftime View Post
    I am the same as you, almost exactly - i have a large with 60mm stem and WIDE bars with a dropper and stans flow EX wide rims, the bike is a bit small but playful - pretty much what i want. Not set up for 30 mile rides though, but perfect for 10-15 miles rides. IF you want to do longer rides you might need a longer stem 80-90mm, but with my setup i can manual easily so its fun to ride.
    Same here, I'm 6'2" & 34" inseam ... just wondering how your getting along with the Large still? What length forks are you running?
    Looking to get a Yelli as I want something a bit more fun when I want fun and that can still do 20, 30 mile + XC rides most weekends.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    6'2, 34 inseam. I've had two L Yellis. To be honest, if I were to buy another if would be XL. You can make the L work from a length perspective, mine was perfect with a 70mm stem. As others have said, it's the seat tube length that gets you.

mtbr member
    May 2014

SM or MED?

Hey all, I'm trying to size myself up for a YS frame as well. I'm on the other side of the spectrum as compared to the rest of this thread (5'8", ~29" inseam) and am torn between a small and medium. My 9:zero:7 fat bike is a small, and I love the positioning/size for stand up climbing and getting over the front of the bike, but my medium trance x 29er feels good in its own way for longer rides too (and seated climbs). the ETT length between the small YS and 907 are only 0.1" apart (23", 22.9"), but I'm afraid I'm not taking a different geo factor into consideration and might feel cramped if I get a small/stretched out on a medium. The medium trance ETT is 23.4", YS: 23.75" The fact that the seat tube angle is deceiving (making your seat further back than expected) is making me think small, any takes on this? Thanks
    Last edited by cjshaw636; 05-19-2014 at 12:18 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Went with a medium after getting sized up correctly at a lbs for 10 bucks.. Got one of the last two med PC sparkle blue (limited) frames! If you're a medium and haven't seen them yet I suggest snatching up the last one! Pics to follow when build is done

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cjshaw636 View Post
    Went with a medium after getting sized up correctly at a lbs for 10 bucks.. Got one of the last two med PC sparkle blue (limited) frames! If you're a medium and haven't seen them yet I suggest snatching up the last one! Pics to follow when build is done
    I am similar height and inseam. I ride a medium frame with a 50mm stem and the cockpit is spot on, so you should be fine. Yeah, the sparkle blues were out when I ordered mine a several months ago. Went with black chrome instead and totally dig it!
    Vassago Jabberwocky SS
    Santa Cruz Highball
    Canfield Yelli Screamy
    Yeti SB95

mtbr member
    May 2014

PC sparkle blue medium yelli

yelli screamy sizing?-image.jpgyelli screamy sizing?-image.jpgWell here it is as promised!
    -fox float 120mm
    -Thompson dropper seatpost
    -stans flow ex rims
    -hope pro II evo hubs
    -xt deore 180mm brakes
    -zee rear deraileur
    -x9 crankset
    -Hope T-Rex 40t cassette extender (recommended on this bike)
    -CF fizik gobi seat
    -Maxxis ardent R/ High roller II F
    -755mm. renthal farbar and Kevlar grips
    27 lbs but beefy and a blast!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Beautiful build! Congratulations!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3