Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I talked to Sean last week about a frame for me and in our conversation I asked him if there was going to be anything new to look forward to this year with the YS. One new color is going to be blue, and all last years colors that weren't anodized, will be this year. I saw a picture of the anodized purple it was beautiful..
    http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/

*2014 Knolly Endorphin...Custom Build*
    *2013 Intense Spider 29...Custom Build*

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    So, the orange, green, and blue will be anodize finish? I'm looking forward to see what blue they choose, but the purple is gonna be tough to beat.

mtbr member
    The blue is the lighter Ano blue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redhawk13 View Post
    Is March the next batch of frames? Any changes or new colors anticipated?
    All the gloss colors are gonna be anodized instead, is what I've heard.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    What about a 6'-2" rider with a 33" inseam. I am thinking large because the ETT will match my large Pivot 429 at 24.5". I just don't want the seat jacked up over the handlebars. I want a 29er hardtail 1x9 to go with my 429.

bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Blk02 View Post
    What about a 6'-2" rider with a 33" inseam. I am thinking large because the ETT will match my large Pivot 429 at 24.5". I just don't want the seat jacked up over the handlebars. I want a 29er hardtail 1x9 to go with my 429.
    I believe the head tube is the same length on the L and XL. That's what Lance Canfield told me. so your stem height will be the same L or XL.

I'm 6'2" and I don't know my inseam. I do know that from center of bb to top of saddle along seat tube, I'm about 81cm with 180mm cranks. XL fits me good. Rode an L and it didn't fit me as good.

L, with my seat height:
    (Bars and steerer tube were generic height, it was a demo bike.)

large Yelli Screamy by fnagrom, on Flickr

XL, with my seat height:

My new Yelli Screamy and a giant sequoia stump by fnagrom, on Flickr

XL feels right. More info on build here.

Morgan

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I am about 73cm from center of bb to top of saddle on my current bike using 175mm cranks. Do you wear 35" or 36" inseam pants? What stem do you have on the bike? It looks like a 90mm or 100mm. Sounds like you have long arms and/or legs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Anyone here riding a Large YS that is 6'-2" with a 33" inseam? How much seat post is exposed and is your seat still somewhat level with the handlebars? I am thinking I will have about 7.5" - 8" of exposed seat post with my inseam depending on crank length 170-175.

I am thinking it would be better to buy a large and run a 100mm stem instead of an extra large with a 70mm stem. I am riding a Large Pivot 429 right now with a 90mm stem and 24.75 ETT. With the short chain-stay it might better to run a longer stem to keep more weight over the front end for better all around riding (most of our riding is cross country with minimal elevation change). Now if I lived in an area that had a lot of steep descents I could see going with a longer ETT and a shorter stem like the Kona Honzo design.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'3", a 34" inseam (could be longer, dont know if I measured right), I have a longish torso and arms, but I ride a XL YS, 60mm stem, 0-offset stem and seat centered. I ran a 10mm spacer under the stem and my bars are 710mm wide and 15mm rise. I hope I was descriptive enough, hehe.
    Last edited by riiz; 08-01-2014 at 02:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by riiz View Post
    I'm 6'3", a 34" inseam (could be longer, dont know if I measured right), I have a longish torso and arms, but I ride a XL YS, 70mm stem, 0-offset stem and seat centered. I ran a 10mm spacer under the stem and my bars are 710mm wide and 15mm rise. I hope I was descriptive enough, hehe.

What pedals are you using?
    http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/

*2014 Knolly Endorphin...Custom Build*
    *2013 Intense Spider 29...Custom Build*

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinboyer View Post
    What pedals are you using?
    DMR V-12 mags in white.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by riiz View Post
    I'm 6'3", a 34" inseam (could be longer, dont know if I measured right), I have a longish torso and arms, but I ride a XL YS, 70mm stem, 0-offset stem and seat centered. I ran a 10mm spacer under the stem and my bars are 710mm wide and 15mm rise. I hope I was descriptive enough, hehe.

Very descriptive! Thank You! However, I was afraid a XL would require a short stem 60 to 70mm for a 6'-2" rider. I am trying to avoid the short stems since I had that issue on my XL 26" Trek EX8. I think a Large would work great with a 100mm or 110mm stem.

bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Blk02 View Post
    I am about 73cm from center of bb to top of saddle on my current bike using 175mm cranks. Do you wear 35" or 36" inseam pants? What stem do you have on the bike? It looks like a 90mm or 100mm. Sounds like you have long arms and/or legs.
    I just went down to my garage and re-measured. It's 80.5cm from saddle top to bb center on the XL YS with 180mm cranks. It was probably 81cm on the L YS with 175mm cranks. See photos above. I'm measuring roughly along seat tube. No, my jeans say 32" inseam. My bike has a 60cm Truvativ stem, 31" bars. I have normal proportions.

Morgan

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I thought I'd follow up after ordering a Yelli Screamy frame. I'm 6' with 34.5" cycling inseam. I went with large (anodized green), and I'm running a 90mm stem with straight seat post. I'm thinking about getting a setback post to give me a little more room. I'm glad I didn't go with a medium frame.
    Idaho

mtbr member
    I'm thinking of ordering a size large. I'm 6ft tall, 32.5 inseam. I've always ridden size L Specialized frames and never had any issues. Think the YS size L would work out OK?

bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by SundayRiverRider View Post
    I'm thinking of ordering a size large. I'm 6ft tall, 32.5 inseam. I've always ridden size L Specialized frames and never had any issues. Think the YS size L would work out OK?
    Yep.

Morgan

BMF
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SundayRiverRider View Post
    I agree with Morgan that you'll be ok on the L. When my LBS was ordering my Yelli they spoke to someone at Canfield and the recommendation that came back was a M. I wasn't part of the conversation - could be that the LBS guy ballparked my measurements way off. I've always ridden large in every frame I've owned and insisted on a L Yelli. I am 6'1" and wear a 32" pant leg and have a fairly long reach. I think if I didn't have a long reach the Medium may have been ok, but as is I have quite a bit of seat post exposed on the L and the bike feels perfect with a 70mm stem, about 1cm headset spacers, and low-rise bar. I don't have any problems sliding off the back of the saddle, and the bike feels totally balanced under me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Anyone go from a Niner to a Yelli? I ride a Meduim Air9 and EMD. I'm 5'-11" with a 32 inseam and like the Fit of the Niners, but I want to try something different and the Yelli seams really fun. Just want to get the right size. I looked at the Reach and Top Tube Length Effective numbers and the Air9 falls right inbetween the Medium and Large Yelli. I want to run a 60mm stem on the Yelli with 685-711mm wide bars. Any advice will help. Thanks, Matt

bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by SourWortBrewer View Post
    Anyone go from a Niner to a Yelli? I ride a Meduim Air9 and EMD. I'm 5'-11" with a 32 inseam and like the Fit of the Niners, but I want to try something different and the Yelli seams really fun. Just want to get the right size. I looked at the Reach and Top Tube Length Effective numbers and the Air9 falls right inbetween the Medium and Large Yelli. I want to run a 60mm stem on the Yelli with 685-711mm wide bars. Any advice will help. Thanks, Matt
    Guessing large. Yelli really rewards short stems. I rode a large AIR9 and it was on the small side for me, and the XL Yelli is perfect.

Morgan

mtbr member
    I'm 5'10" longer legs, shorter torso I like 24.5" ish ETTs. My Niner was a medium (yuck), went with the large YS. The medium is really really small. I actually tried buying a used medium frame before I got my large - stand over to a fault perhaps, but there was no way I was ever going to get the saddle height correct on the medium, way too much seat post showing. I ride a 79cm saddle height and to be honest the large frame pushes this envelop as well. I rode it a few times with a traditional seat post and it looks ridiculous - I finally got my KS and it helped calm the appearance of the bike. After I got over that I realized how well the bike rode. I think the Yelli's sort of need an adj post really at least with my longish legs. If you're worried about top tube length, or reach as someone has said, slap a 50mm stem on there with some wider bars... I'll only run longer stems now for endurance racing.

I like how Niner has realized the value of these playful 29ers and is finally getting close with a bike that doesn't steer like a ship - with an EBB and a steel chassis they're still off the mark though!
    My one says BRAP!

two wheel whore
    Plume, wicked how close we are in height, yet far in preference. I'm 5'7", my Niner is a small with 23" ETT, my Salsa is a small with 22.8" ETT, and I have a medium YS coming after talking to Canfield. My old BMC was 24" ETT and I hated it. Even with a 45mm stem. The long TT made me run a 685mm bar, which I hated.
    We'll see how the YS turns out. The reach isn't much different from my WFO.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    I'm very, very tempted by the Yelli, but am really concerned about fit, especially the 18" seat tube length. I'm a hair over 6', pants inseam is a 34". I usually run my saddle about 787-791mm from the middle of the BB to the top of the saddle. On my One 9, which has a 19.5" seat tube, my 400mm post is nearly maxed out on height. I just don't see how I'd be able to get enough height on the saddle on an 18" seat tube. Otherwise, all the other angles and measurements on the L are spot on. (I can't seem to find a "stack" measurement, though.)

bicycle rider
    I'd say "L", for you.

All Yelli Screamy's have the same head tube, don't know what the stack height is, but its consistent across all sizes; 110mm or 4.33". Yelli Screamy - the 29er that handles like a 26" mountain bike frame

Morgan

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by morganfletcher View Post
    I'd say "L", for you.
    Doesn't 18" seem a little too short of a seat tube for a size L frame? The new Niner ROS has a short seat tube on the L as well. Is this a function of the longer fork on a hardtail affecting the geometry?

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Sorry, I meant "stack" not as in stack height of the head tube, but the vertical stack measurement from the BB to where it intersects with thehorizontal "reach" line. I'm finding that knowing the stack and reach is a better indication of overall bike fit than ETT or ST numbers. Canfield's website gives the reach number, but not the stack.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast