mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Yelli Screamy - recommendation on crank to run 1x9 with XTR 970 rear

Hi All,

I bought a Yelli Screamy last fall and am finally building it up to ride hard this season.

I want to run 1x9 and am looking for a good neutral chainline pairing with a XTR 970 11-34.

I was gonna just run my XTR crank in the middle chainring with a chainguide but wondering if the Canfield maestros have better suggestions. I don't care about weight, only reliability/simplicity and fun.

thanks!

mtbr member
    I'm using the Sram X-9 spiderless cranks with the MRP Bling Ring plus the MRP 1x direct mount chainguide.

IMO, it doesn't get much more simple than this. It looks super clean too.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

The White Jeff W
    When i went 1x9 I ran the Truvative Stylo 1.1 on mine. 32 tooth ring + bash guard & bottom bracket. Ive been able to find them for around $120 in the past.
    No moss...

perpetual pucker factor
    I went with a Sram X9 crank and an NSB 28 tooth direct drive ring. Lines up great once you space the bb and chain guide. If you have strong legs and can push a 32 tooth ring, you don't need a spiderless direct drive setup, but since I can't, the 28 tooth is perfect.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks! I will see what kinda prices I can find on the X9 and Stylo 1.1 crank... those both look like great options.

If I go the X9/NSB combo... I might just buy an entire X9/XO groupset. Long story short, my current set is XTR rear with SRAM grip shifters... bought my rip9 like that for a good deal, dislike the setup... so at least one trigger shifter and new rear derail cable are on the to-do list.

perpetual pucker factor
    just make sure that if you get something like the now discontinued Stylo, you are able to push 32-tooth rings. They are great cranks, but you can't remove the chainring spider on them, so the smallest single ring you will be able to use is a 32T. That's why many people are going after cranks that can be run spiderless, and pairing them with smaller tooth-count MRP or NSB direct mount rings.

To spot the direct mount compatible cranks, just look at the Sram/Truvativ lineup and look for the seam between the crank arm and the chainring spider. As of now, it looks to me like the new SRAM S1400 2X10, the new AKA, X9, XO and XX1 cranks all have it, and the others don't. Other crank brands like Middleburn and a few of the older Shimanos are also capable, but direct mount rings that fit their splines can be a bit more difficult to find, since Sram/Truvativ seems to be gaining most of the 1x market lately.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    This is the closest thread topic I could find for my question so here's a bump.

I seem to remember reading in one of the threads some discussion about chainstay clearance with big rings or bash guards or something like that. Can't find the stomach to troll through the same old threads just looking for that, so hopefully someone can weigh in.
    I'm planning to run 1x9 but also will likely just get an SLX groupset so need to know whether to get 2x or 3x crank.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I think they've said they will soon post a detailed explanation. My understanding is that for shimano middle ring shouldn't be larger than (34t?) unless you add extra spacers to the BB. That number might be 36t and different brands of cranks have different ring spacing. If the reason 2x cranks "don't fit" is because the larger ring is too big, you might be able to run the smaller ring... but do you want to run 26t/28t or 32t/34t?