Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Hello everybody!

This is my first post on this forum, although I've been a frequent visitor for a couple of years. I'd like to thank all the knowledgeable members of the forum for tons of helpful information!

This very thread helped me finally pull the trigger on a Yelli, and for that I am, again, very thankful. I finished building it last weekend, and I am completely blown away by how it performs! This is the most fun bike I've had in 20+ years of mountain biking! Here are a couple of pictures form Saturday's maiden voyage:

Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-p1040605.jpgYelli Screamy Photo Thread-p1040586.jpgYelli Screamy Photo Thread-p1040589.jpg
    Size large, translucent blue..

mtbr member
    What cs protector are you using?
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Nice color scheme. What size stem and bars? Is that a large frame?

mtbr member
    The frame is a size large. 40mm stem, and 785mm handlebar by NC17. The chain stay protection is a fairly cheap Scott thingy, but it seems to do the job. You can see it a little better here:
    Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-p1040579-besk-ret.jpg

Uncle
    I thought the name was kind of stupid until I got one of my own. Makes perfect sense now: I'm hootin' and hollerin' 3x as often while riding this thing than on my old bike.

Some of my local dirt over Oakland, CA.
    Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-20140914_182444%5B1%5D-001.jpg
    Every rose has it's thorn.

enjoy the ear worm

mtbr member
    Wet Sunday morning rides. Just installed my Fall tires.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-img-20140914-00050.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Entrenador View Post
    I thought the name was kind of stupid until I got one of my own. Makes perfect sense now: I'm hootin' and hollerin' 3x as often while riding this thing than on my old bike.

Some of my local dirt over Oakland, CA.
    I too thought the name was a bit odd... Last weekend I got to take mine for some proper riding (not the normal xc yawn) and sweet jebus I discovered a whole new animal, it's so fast and agile I was screaming and hollering like never before, such a great frame!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Hi All,

8 month lurker while trying to spec out my first attempt at throwing a bike together. Lots of fantastic info and insight and guidance found within this forum. I was originally looking to buy a 2013 ano black but my procrastination got me. When I was finally ready to buy there were no more and I had to wait for the latest shipment. Large 2014 grey ano.

Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-p1040902.jpgYelli Screamy Photo Thread-p1040900.jpgYelli Screamy Photo Thread-p1040893.jpgYelli Screamy Photo Thread-p1040897.jpgYelli Screamy Photo Thread-p1040883.jpg

Regards,

Chris Bling
    Here is a pic post ride over on the Wasach Crest Trail in Park City. Rocking the new Atomik Carbon wheels and am really loving the extra stiffness of the carbon hoop.

Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-20141004_154556.jpg
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Cant wait for the arrival of my black chrome
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

Cracker
    Green Glows
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-20140904_134636.jpg  

It might get a little steep from here

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrackerasscracker View Post
    Green Glows
    Is that the fern green? Been thinking hard about buying another yelli. Should of never let mine go
    2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    3rd season and still going strong. I will update over the winter with a dropper post and new rear wheel. Maybe an X-fusion trace with the new unicrown steerer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-ys2.jpg  

mtbr member
    I took about a year collecting parts to build mine and it took me almost another year to post them but here it is:
    Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Took my son to Highland Mtn bike park on Veterans day.
    Couple shots of the features on the way to the top.
    We got home and my son started to spec out a Balance so next year he could try some of the harder trails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-p1040909.jpg  

Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-p1040910.jpg  

Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-p1040919.jpg  

Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-p1040939.jpg  

mtbr member
    140 tower pro?
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Hi Spyghost,

120mm Tower Pro

mtbr member
    Anyone running on a 34t single? Any experince with chainline and larger cassette shifting issues?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Just wondering what the 5'10"-5'11" guys are buying frame size wise. I've been slowly ordering parts since December, and will be ordering the frame this month. Can't wait to join the club.
    Join us for a ride

San Jose Mountain Biking

and "Like" us on Facebook.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Ok, so I'm 5'10.5" with a 32" inseam. At my size (and probably yours) either a medium or a large frame will work. Which way you go will depend on what you prefer.

I went with a large. I run a 35mm stem with 730mm bars with an 18mm rise. Before that I was running a 50mm stem with 720mm flat bars. Switching the cockpit for the shorter, taller setup made a huge difference in how I feel on the bike. A 150mm KS Lev dropper post fits perfectly.

If I went with a medium I would need a 50mm stem and would have to expose more seatpost than I would like. I also really like the handling of the super-short stem. So for me a large is where it's at.

If you'd prefer a longer stem or wider bars then you might consider a medium. If you have a shorter inseem and want to run a 150mm dropper you'll almost definitely want a medium.

I should probably point out that I'm running a 120mm fork. The shorter fork and slightly longer wheelbase of the large probably helps with climbing as well but that's entirely anecdotal. I don't feel limited at all when climbing and have been called a mountain goat more than once.

And because this is a photo thread here's a potato quality photo of me and my Yelli at the top of Wilder Ranch:

And an artsy shot of the bars and stem:

Another one of me after tearing up Demo:

And getting her dirty at Russian Ridge:
    Last edited by BlueDragonX; 01-07-2015 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Add a photo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I rode a medium when I had mine. Im 5'11. If I got another id go large.
    2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDragonX View Post
    Ok, so I'm 5'10.5" with a 32" inseam. At my size (and probably yours) either a medium or a large frame will work. Which way you go will depend on what you prefer.

I went with a large. I run a 35mm stem with 730mm bars with an 18mm rise. Before that I was running a 50mm stem with 720mm flat bars. Switching the cockpit for the shorter, taller setup made a huge difference in how I feel on the bike. A 150mm KS Lev dropper post fits perfectly.

If I went with a medium I would need a 50mm stem and would have to expose more seatpost than I would like. I also really like the handling of the super-short stem. So for me a large is where it's at.

If you'd prefer a longer stem or wider bars then you might consider a medium. If you have a shorter inseem and want to run a 150mm dropper you'll almost definitely want a medium.

I should probably point out that I'm running a 120mm fork. The shorter fork and slightly longer wheelbase of the large probably helps with climbing as well but that's entirely anecdotal. I don't feel limited at all when climbing and have been called a mountain goat more than once.

And because this is a photo thread here's a potato quality photo of me and my Yelli at the top of Wilder Ranch:

Awesome! Thanks for all the info. Really stoked on this build. Also it looks like you're local to me so maybe I'll see you around.

Cheers
    Join us for a ride

San Jose Mountain Biking

and "Like" us on Facebook.

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDragonX View Post

How did you like the Minion DHR II tire?
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectBomber View Post
    Awesome! Thanks for all the info. Really stoked on this build. Also it looks like you're local to me so maybe I'll see you around.
    Maybe so! I'm moving to Marin next month, though, so I won't be down around here as frequently. I definitely intend on riding Demo on occasion, though, as it's one of my favorite spots.

Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    How did you like the Minion DHR II tire?
    Traction for days. I've got the 2.5 DHF in front and the DHRII 2.3 in the rear. They're heavy but I don't mind so much. The DHRII really helps in climbing the looser stuff and they work great as a combo at Demo. My only problem is I really need wider rims but that should be fixed in a month or two when I build a new wheelset!

mtbr member

Best offset for 120mm fork on a Yelli?

Hey guys, I'm looking to pick up one of these bad boys in the near future, and I'm wondering if there's any consensus on what the ideal offset is for a fork set to 120mm? I've got my preferences pretty well sorted in the 26 and 27.5 world, but would love to hear some opinions from current Yelli or N9 owners. I've been thinking that I'd look for a fork w/ 51mm offset to keep the steering snappy, and let me experiment with 130 or 140mm later on and still maintain a reasonable trail dimension...However, I may have a line on a cheap Fox 32 / 120 with 44mm offset...not that stoked about the 32 stanchions either but if the price is right I might give it a whirl anyway. Also, has anybody ever calculated the steering trail # for their bike?

FYI, I will be riding in mixed terrain, but primarily very rocky with a lot of steep up and down transitions and more slow techy maneuvering and ripping through tight single track than big mountain wide open stuff or buff/bermed flow trails.
    Last edited by doismellbacon; 01-08-2015 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Edited for grammar

Uncle
    I'm 6' even and a bit on the gangly side it seems. Come from an XCish riding background. My Large is built up as so:
    120mm of travel;
    100mm of droppable post;
    720mm bars + 80mm stem (might go 740x70mm, but not likely wider/shorter than that);
    Saddle at full/climbing extension sits ~29.5" from the BB center - 420mm 0* offset Reverb still has about 15mm of shaft before min. insertion line is exposed.

This bike rips. Most stable descending bike I've owned. I haven't yet found its limits.
    Coming from a more XC type of riding, and with longish legs + a desire for a modestly efficient climbing position, I thus far have found benefit in keeping a relatively longer stem on it. I'm certain that I can go wider & shorter with the bar/stem combo, but I don't feel compelled to change it much - perhaps by 10mm in both directions.
    For you at almost my height, I'd think that a Large in similar kit would fit you well by lowering the post another 1.5" into the frame, and by shortening the stem to ~50 or 60mm - where most seem to prefer their Yellis. I suspect that with a Med, you'd need a stem at least as long as mine.

YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectBomber View Post
    Just wondering what the 5'10"-5'11" guys are buying frame size wise. I've been slowly ordering parts since December, and will be ordering the frame this month. Can't wait to join the club.

enjoy the ear worm

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Finished!!

Hey guys, just wanted to post a couple pics of my (finally) finished Yelli. I have been slowly building it up over the past year...I will admit, I ran out of money for the rear FLOW EX, so for now I borrowed my rear wheel/tire from my Airborne Seeker.

FRAME: Yelli-Screamy Medium frame
    FORK: Manitou Tower Pro 140mm
    HEADSET: Cane Creek 40 Upper/lower cups
    SEATPOST: Easton Haven Alloy 30.9mm/400mm
    SADDLE: Chromag Lynx
    SEAT CLAMP: Hope QR clamp 34.9mm
    STEM: Thomson Elite X4 50mm
    HANDLEBAR: Spank Subrosa 747 evo
    CRANKSET/BB: Truvative X9 170mm / GXP
    CHAINRING: Wolftooth 30t w/Bashguard
    DERAILLEUR: SRAM X9 Type 2 Med cage 10-Speed
    CASSETTE: SRAM PG-1050 11-36
    CHAIN: SRAM PC-1071 Hollow pin
    SHIFTER: SRAM X9 10-Speed
    BRAKES: SRAM Guide RS (F&R)
    GRIPS : Lizard Skins - Peaty
    WHEELS: ZTR Flow EX / Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs
    SHIFT CABLE: Jagwire Mountain Pro shift kit
    TIRES : Maxxis Ikon 2.35 / Ardent 2.4
    BRAKE ROTORS: SRAM Centerline 180mm/160mm
    PEDALS: Canfield Brothers Crampon Ultimate

Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-img_1396.jpgYelli Screamy Photo Thread-img_1398.jpgYelli Screamy Photo Thread-img_1416.jpgYelli Screamy Photo Thread-img_1417.jpg

I will try to get some better pictures with my actual camera and not my iphone. I'm stoked!
    Follow my MTB blog...
    http://cdmountain.blogspot.com

Uncle
    Looks great. Have always liked the look of that fork for some reason. Any idea what the fork offset is? Curious to get your impression of it all after a few rides. My fork is just 120mm of travel and has a 'normal' 46mm offset. I'm pretty used it now, but it does require more rider input than I'm used to... inputting(?). Coming from a steeper 'twitchy' XC bike I guess that should be expected. Have been curious about 130mm with a 51mm offset though.

As for the rear wheel, I'd say keep beating your current wheel up while saving for a dropper post. 2 years ago I'd have never said that, but riding a bike like this just begs for a lowered saddle often; I'm now one of those guys that says 'I can't imagine not having one now.' It's really that good.

enjoy the ear worm

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Looks great, and agreed, save up for a dropper post ... you wont regret it I promise!!!!

mtbr member
    What's a good dropper? I've been reading stuff about ks lev and rockshox wobbling...
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Winter Yelli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-p1050225.jpg  

Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-p1050237.jpg  

Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-p1050226.jpg  

Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-p1050234.jpg  

Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-p1050231.jpg  

AOK
    mtbr member

Yelli Screamy Photo Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BikeHikeNH View Post
    Winter Yelli
    Yelli Shiver

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I just purchased a blue ano and I'm going to attempt to build it myself. I installed bb chainguide and crankset. I've got a 32t wolf tooth with Mrp amg with an icsg adapter. I have plenty of clearance but after reading about other clearance issues I wonder if I've done something wrong or will have chainline issues.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by hugo03 View Post
    I just purchased a blue ano and I'm going to attempt to build it myself. I installed bb chainguide and crankset. I've got a 32t wolf tooth with Mrp amg with an icsg adapter. I have plenty of clearance but after reading about other clearance issues I wonder if I've done something wrong or will have chainline issues.
    Post a pic of your install. Bb, spacer, crank, chainring and CS clearance.
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Spy, I have a Reverb 125. I wouldn't say there is a lot of wobble in it. At the top of the post's extended length there is none. Fully dropped there is about a 1/4" of wobble at the saddle tip, but I am not on the saddle at that point so I don't feel it. Around 2" of drop, on and off the saddle peddling, I don't feel wobble either. I think if you go Reverb, Lev or Thomson you'll be happy. If you get a Reverb get a right hand remote to be able to mount it under your bars on the left hand side if you run a 1x drive.train

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by spyghost View Post
    Post a pic of your install. Bb, spacer, crank, chainring and CS clearance.
    Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-img_2720.jpgYelli Screamy Photo Thread-img_2721.jpg

mtbr member
    Is your chainring still at 50mm chainline?
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

Chris Bling

B+ Yelli

I had a little fun and did the B+ rims and tires on the bike. Pretty awesome.

Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-hubsessed-cycle-works-scraper-i45-canfield-yelli-screamy-bike.jpg

Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-hubsessed-cycle-works-scraper-i45-canfield-yelli-screamy-bike-2.jpg
    Affordable Custom Wheels

MTBR Member
    Interesting...I hadn't heard of the B+. I'm very surprised that a 2.8" tire fits. I've had slight rubs with only a 2.35" Schwalbe.

mtbr member
    looks beautiful.
    What's your frame year? I've a 2011 and doesn't seem to have clearance for a true 2.8 tire.

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by savo View Post
    looks beautiful.
    What's your frame year? I've a 2011 and doesn't seem to have clearance for a true 2.8 tire.
    I picked it up last year from Canfield, so I will call it a 2014. Since the B+ tires are not quite as tall as a true 29er, it puts the widest part of the tire where the chainstay drop outs are the widest. It is a true 2.8 inch tire per my caliper measurements and others. Its huge!
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hubsessed Cycle Works Scraper i45 Canfield Yelli Screamy bike.jpg 
Views:	417 
Size:	160.6 KB 
ID:	960957

Name:	Hubsessed Cycle Works Scraper i45 Canfield Yelli Screamy bike 2.jpg 
Views:	478 
Size:	176.4 KB 
ID:	960958
    Darth Vader's play bike...

NICE!!

mtbr member
    Since the B+ tires are not quite as tall as a true 29er, it puts the widest part of the tire where the chainstay drop outs are the widest.
    Actually in my frame the widest part of the chainstay is where the 29er tire sits (2.4 Ardent in the pics), reducing tire diameter would put it in a narrower part...

Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-2014-11-12-11.05.18.jpgYelli Screamy Photo Thread-2014-11-12-11.05.26.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Is your chainring still at 50mm chainline?
    it is still at 50mm

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

What rims did you use?

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfitness View Post
    What rims did you use?
    They are WTB i45 Scraper Rims. Nice and wide @45mm internal width
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I thought they were wtb but I didn't know they made such wide rims. Hmm wonder if I'm gonna regret not going this route with my recent wheel build. Especially since I'm 260lbs

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I call it the cream cycle (lots of puns intended)

Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-img_0779.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

~2 years in and still really enjoying riding this bike. It sees more use than any other bike in the garage.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

I'm contemplating doing the same thing on my soon to be purchased Yelli.

Can you give us a review of how this setup is working for you? Performance wise? How are these rims? Stiff? Super flexy? How do you have the wheels built? I'm torn between building a set of Scrapers or just buying Ibis 941's.

Please let us know (since it seems like you're a custom wheel builder?) what this set up has been like.

Thanks!

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Slater View Post
    I'm contemplating doing the same thing on my soon to be purchased Yelli.

Can you give us a review of how this setup is working for you? Performance wise? How are these rims? Stiff? Super flexy? How do you have the wheels built? I'm torn between building a set of Scrapers or just buying Ibis 941's.

Please let us know (since it seems like you're a custom wheel builder?) what this set up has been like.

Thanks!
    This setup has really transformed the bike. Having the high volume tires makes it very nice when you get into the chunder and really rocky sections of trail. The extra 'coosh' in the back is very welcome, especially with how stiff the Yelli alloy frame is.

Being able to run 11 psi up front adds additional small bump sensitivity to the fork and really is able to conform with the terrain. I run 13.5-14 psi in the back to keep from feeling my rim on the rocks through the really chunky stuff. You can go with a lower pressure, but if you ride hard into rock gardens, you will touch the rim. Initially I was running 10 in the back and I pinch flatted through 2 layers of the tire. The WTB sealant sealed things up, and the rim was not dinged at all. From there I started adding 1psi each ride to fine tune where the happy balance of comfort and stability was.

The wheels are extremely stiff due to the width of the rims. with a 45mm internal width, there is a lot of material to keep the rim stiff. They are just over 600 grams, so the are also not light. I honestly don't really notice a huge difference, since I am still faster uphill than on my Process 111 with carbon wheels.

I have the wheels built 2x with Sapim Race spokes and alloy nipples. Tension on the short side is 120 kg/f. I used my Navy Chris King hubs with fun bolts for that little bit of color on the bike. In my personal opinion, the bike looks as good as it rides. I have guys stop me on the trail and ask about the setup and the big tires.

Overall I am super jazzed on the build. I don't plan on changing anything for some time.

One thing to mention is that since the knobs on the tires are fairly small, it has made me have more weight over the front end when cornering. Its a practice that is also benefiting me when I am riding my other bikes on the down hill. Because these tires have so much traction, the bike slows down much faster than my other bikes.

Many folks have asked if I ever run into problems with the tire rubbing on the chainstay, and the answer is no. Like I said above, the wheels are super stiff due to their width and have not flexed over to touch the chainstay

I am sure you would be pleased if you went with the 741 rims. The biggest difference is you would be missing about 10mm of rim width. When I went from a 30mm internal width to 45mm internal width with the B+ tires, it made a substantial difference. I can't run this wide setup on my Process 111, but would be able to if it was on 35mm internal width rims. So really, it depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

PS, go with a 140mm fork. The bike is too much fun being a little more slack to do anything else

Here are a few pics I took with my nice camera a few weeks ago after I gave the bike a bath.

Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-hubsessed-cycle-works-canfield-yelli-screamy-b-plus-wtb-scraper-i45-trailblazer-1.jpg

Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-hubsessed-cycle-works-canfield-yelli-screamy-b-plus-wtb-scraper-i45-trailblazer-3.jpg

Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-hubsessed-cycle-works-canfield-yelli-screamy-b-plus-wtb-scraper-i45-trailblazer-6.jpg

Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-hubsessed-cycle-works-canfield-yelli-screamy-b-plus-wtb-scraper-i45-trailblazer-11.jpg

Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-hubsessed-cycle-works-canfield-yelli-screamy-b-plus-wtb-scraper-i45-trailblazer-17.jpg

Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-hubsessed-cycle-works-canfield-yelli-screamy-b-plus-wtb-scraper-i45-trailblazer-16.jpg

Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-hubsessed-cycle-works-scraper-i45-canfield-yelli-screamy-front.jpg
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    This setup has really transformed the bike. Having the high volume tires makes it very nice when you get into the chunder and really rocky sections of trail. The extra 'coosh' in the back is very welcome, especially with how stiff the Yelli alloy frame is.

Being able to run 11 psi up front adds additional small bump sensitivity to the fork and really is able to conform with the terrain. I run 13.5-14 psi in the back to keep from feeling my rim on the rocks through the really chunky stuff. You can go with a lower pressure, but if you ride hard into rock gardens, you will touch the rim. Initially I was running 10 in the back and I pinch flatted through 2 layers of the tire. The WTB sealant sealed things up, and the rim was not dinged at all. From there I started adding 1psi each ride to fine tune where the happy balance of comfort and stability was.

The wheels are extremely stiff due to the width of the rims. with a 45mm internal width, there is a lot of material to keep the rim stiff. They are just over 600 grams, so the are also not light. I honestly don't really notice a huge difference, since I am still faster uphill than on my Process 111 with carbon wheels.

I have the wheels built 2x with Sapim Race spokes and alloy nipples. Tension on the short side is 120 kg/f. I used my Navy Chris King hubs with fun bolts for that little bit of color on the bike. In my personal opinion, the bike looks as good as it rides. I have guys stop me on the trail and ask about the setup and the big tires.

Overall I am super jazzed on the build. I don't plan on changing anything for some time.

One thing to mention is that since the knobs on the tires are fairly small, it has made me have more weight over the front end when cornering. Its a practice that is also benefiting me when I am riding my other bikes on the down hill. Because these tires have so much traction, the bike slows down much faster than my other bikes.

Many folks have asked if I ever run into problems with the tire rubbing on the chainstay, and the answer is no. Like I said above, the wheels are super stiff due to their width and have not flexed over to touch the chainstay

I am sure you would be pleased if you went with the 741 rims. The biggest difference is you would be missing about 10mm of rim width. When I went from a 30mm internal width to 45mm internal width with the B+ tires, it made a substantial difference. I can't run this wide setup on my Process 111, but would be able to if it was on 35mm internal width rims. So really, it depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

PS, go with a 140mm fork. The bike is too much fun being a little more slack to do anything else

Here are a few pics I took with my nice camera a few weeks ago after I gave the bike a bath.

Name:	Hubsessed Cycle Works Canfield Yelli Screamy B plus WTB Scraper i45 Trailblazer 1.jpg 
Views:	525 
Size:	177.0 KB 
ID:	968024

Name:	Hubsessed Cycle Works Canfield Yelli Screamy B plus WTB Scraper i45 Trailblazer 3.jpg 
Views:	723 
Size:	155.0 KB 
ID:	968025

Name:	Hubsessed Cycle Works Canfield Yelli Screamy B plus WTB Scraper i45 Trailblazer 6.jpg 
Views:	508 
Size:	181.6 KB 
ID:	968026

Name:	Hubsessed Cycle Works Canfield Yelli Screamy B plus WTB Scraper i45 Trailblazer 11.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	968027

Name:	Hubsessed Cycle Works Canfield Yelli Screamy B plus WTB Scraper i45 Trailblazer 17.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	968028

Name:	Hubsessed Cycle Works Canfield Yelli Screamy B plus WTB Scraper i45 Trailblazer 16.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	968029

Name:	Hubsessed Cycle Works Scraper i45 Canfield Yelli Screamy front.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	968030
    Thanks for weighing in.

This is my first "2nd" bike. And as such, I'm trying to keep the build cost down. Which is one reason why the Scrapers caught my eye. Building them is still gonna come in cheaper than a set of 941's. And I'm also planning on the bonus of the Scrapers being a multiuse wheelset that can run on 29 and 27.5 bikes, given frame clearance of course.

Everything you said makes sense, and they seem like they'll make my first
    hardtail (after only ever owning full sus bikes) a nice, fun, & more comfy grin machine!

I've got a 2015 Fox Float 140mm 29" fork for it, so I hear you in the travel and head angle department.

Regarding the tires, I just read about a new 27.5+ Maxxis proto tire at one of the recent trade shows. So i can't imagine it'll be a whole lot longer before there are more tread options out there.

Your Yelli looks F'ing sick by the way. The bigger wheels just make it look even more bad ass.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

yelli screamy...built at home with a little help from a friend...big ups to MVW

Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-canfield_yelli_screamy.jpg

mtbr member
    Absolute black released oval 30t gxp... Any testers on a YS?
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Finally getting around to posting my yelli build. This bike has really pushed me to become a better rider and has also been a blast from day one. Definitely a keeper!

FRAME: 2012 Yelli size M
    FORK: Pike RCT3 140mm
    REAR DER: Sram X01 11spd
    SHIFTER: Sram X01
    CRANKSET: X01 with 28T North shore direct mount ring
    CASSETTE: Sram X1 11spd
    BRAKES: Shimano XTs with 200/180mm rotors
    BARS: Azonic 780mm
    STEM: TruVativ 65mm
    GRIPS: WTB moto
    HEADSET: Cane Creek 40
    SEAT POST: DNM 110mm dropper
    SADDLE: WTB devo ti
    WHEELS: Stans flow 3.30 / HD rear
    TIRES: F/2.4 Geax Goma sticky. R/ Continental 2.4 TK
    PEDALS: Kona wah wah or XT

Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-img_20150316_203815.jpgYelli Screamy Photo Thread-img_20150316_203845.jpgYelli Screamy Photo Thread-img_20150316_203905.jpg
    16 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL
    16 Private Jake

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Complete budget oriented rebuild over the winter. Only parts carried over are the frame, FD, tires, and handlebars. I am waiting on a new Henge saddle. Blue ESI Chunky grips will go on once I know I am happy with the cockpit. Dropper post is on the shelf waiting for summer.

I've ridden it to work a couple times... I can't wait for the trails to dry out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    A little icy still, but I couldn't stay inside any longer!
    Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-img_1506.jpg
    Follow my MTB blog...
    http://cdmountain.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I've got a spare derailleur hanger if anyone is looking.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-image.jpgYelli Screamy Photo Thread-image.jpgYelli Screamy Photo Thread-image.jpg

I've been teasing my buddies with hints since February that I was building a HT 29er. They likely thought it would be another of the budget builds I like to do as a hobby.

NOPE. I figured this one would be a keeper, so I built it the way I wanted: starting with a large Wasabi Green 2014 Yelli without a single scratch on it, I grabbed an XX carbon 2x crankset, full X9 group, rock shox Revelation 140, Charger SE pro 29 wheels in white, Oozy Spanks in ano green to match the frame. The Spank bar in green isn't anodized so it's slightly off on the cooler but it's gorgeous.
    XT brakes, Hans Dampf trailstars, a white Charge saddle and all white control cables/hoses set it off really well. My trusty Supernatural 5" dropper is the only carried over part.
    It gives me an eyeballgasm just looking at it.

P.s. 2009 stumpjumper pro (26")

Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-image.jpgYelli Screamy Photo Thread-image.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-image.jpg  

2009 Specialized Stumpy Expert. Bike with brains.
    1997 Homegrown Factory 23-24lbs & afraid to ride it. I'm 200.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Here's my new to me Yelli. I pm'd some of you trying to decide if a large was big enough. I threw caution to the wind and bought it anyway. First ride was good but I need a taller seatpost. I guess if I decide it's too small I'll sell and try to track down an xl. At least I have a bike to ride right now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

29x3 front, 27.5x2.8 rear. Really fun. Very capable.

mtbr member
    Changes from last year.
    140mm RCT3 Pike. Chris King BB. Shimano rotors. Chromag Trailmaster DT saddle. Frequency i25 laced to a Hope pro II evo and xt cassette.
    Tires are specialized butcher grid 2.3" in the rear, Michelin Rock'r 2 advanced 2 Gum-X 2.35" in the front. 30psi rear, 25psi front.
    I hope to switch out the rear tire for the summer and give the Slaughter a try. If I can't get my hands on a slaughter, I'll prob just run the butcher until it wears out in the middle, and pretend its the same thing.
    Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-img_0103.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The latest image of mine. Most recent addition is the new wheelset - Derby HD rims and Hope Pro II Evo hubs. Laced them up myself.

Chris Bling
    Anyone running a 150mm fork on their Yelli? I have a 140 on there right now, but am curious since I just picked up a 150 Fox 36 for another build.

Chris Bling

New Setup @150mm

Hey Guys,

I didn't hear back from anyone that was enjoying a 150mm fork on their Yelli, so I figured I would try it myself. Since the A2C of the 150mm Fox 36 is only a few mm's taller than the 140mm Pike, there was not a huge difference. I did have to adjust my seat about a half rotation of the seatpost bolts. Even that few extra mm's taller A2C is noticeable on the trail.

Since I am running B+ wheels and tires on the bike, I can adjust the low speed compression of the fork way up so stays higher in the travel. The extra squish of the big tires mutes all the smaller trail chatter than the low speed compression specializes in. On the flip size, I have adjusted the high speed compression way down so I am not dealing with as much ramp up on the end of the stroke. Its set up pretty much the exact opposite of what I ride with the normal 2.3 in tires.

Overall, I am jazzed on the set up. The more I ride it, the funner it gets. Here are some glam shots I took yesterday after I had given it a proper clean.

Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-hubsessed-cycle-works-canfield-brothers-yelli-screamy-fox-36-650b-plus-angled-1.jpg

Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-hubsessed-cycle-works-canfield-brothers-yelli-screamy-fox-36-650b-plus-angled-chris-king.jpg

Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-hubsessed-cycle-works-canfield-brothers-yelli-screamy-fox-36-650b-plus-angled-shot.jpg

Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-hubsessed-cycle-works-canfield-brothers-yelli-screamy-fox-36-650b-plus-angled-side.jpg

Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-hubsessed-cycle-works-canfield-brothers-yelli-screamy-fox-36-650b-plus-angled.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-hubsessed-cycle-works-canfield-brothers-yelli-screamy-fox-36-650b-plus-side.jpg  

Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Oh man, that has got me thinking!!

O3 Speciailzed BigHit DH
    12 Kona Entourage
    14 Giant Trance 27.5
    15 Transition Covert 29
    15 Canfield Nimble 9

mtbr member
    @dusty, what seatpost you got there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

Chris Bling
    @dusty, what seatpost you got there?

Its a Gravity Dropper LP @125mm. I like it simply because of its simplicity. No oil, no seals, just simple mechanics
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-wp_20150603_001.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150603_001.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	123.4 KB 
ID:	994979Alright, here goes. Got my build done a week or two ago.
    Canfield yelliscreamy, size small, blue
    Fork: MRP Stage 140mm
    Wheels: Mavic Crossmax xl
    drivetrain: SRAM xx1 (10-42 cassette, 28t chainring)
    Cranks: Race face Turbine (threaded bb30 68/73 bottom bracket))
    Pedals: Spank oozy
    Stem: race face atlas 65mm zero deg rise
    Bars: race face atlas 31.5 mm
    Brakes: SRAM guide rsc 180mmf 160r
    Saddle: specialized phenom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-wp_20150610_002.jpg  

Last edited by FreuderLocks; 06-10-2015 at 08:35 PM. Reason: forgot pictures
    2015 Canfield Yell Scream
    2015 Tarmac Pro Disc Race

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Man, these pics are killing me.
    Just waiting for a der. hanger to come in the mail!

O3 Speciailzed BigHit DH
    12 Kona Entourage
    14 Giant Trance 27.5
    15 Transition Covert 29
    15 Canfield Nimble 9

mtbr member

soon there will be pics of YS with 142 rear and larger 1x rings... oval rings will surely fit then!

pity i wasnt able to wait and my current YS is barely a year old

Canfield Yelli Screamy

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    The old lady got some updates for her 4th birthday (she got the gifts a little early. her bday is in the fall).

Changed out my old sram 10 speed stuff for 11 speed - xtr shifter, 11-40 cassette and RD.

The rest is: xt cranks w/race face 30t, xt brakes, king hubs, light-bikes rims, syntace flexy post, spech tires and saddle, race face next bars, pro stem, white bros fork at 120.

mtbr member
    How's the 11-40 cassette working out? I'm about to finish my build this weekend with the same setup. I was debating OneUp or buying an XT 11-42.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by SikeMo View Post
    How's the 11-40 cassette working out? I'm about to finish my build this weekend with the same setup. I was debating OneUp or buying an XT 11-42.

I rode mine 11-40 for a whole season and really enjoyed it. Looking back, I would have gone the 11-42 route with the OneUp.
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    And now there's 11-45! They're claiming that you can upsize the chainring.

mtbr member
    with slx double and absolute black oval 32t. No rubbing but distance at the largest diameter is just a few mm from the CS yoke.

Not sure how it will work out on drops when the CS flexes

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Just finished building this bad boy up!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-ys2.jpg  

Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-ys3.jpg  

O3 Speciailzed BigHit DH
    12 Kona Entourage
    14 Giant Trance 27.5
    15 Transition Covert 29
    15 Canfield Nimble 9

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    My Wasabi Green Paint had lost it's luster after years of hard riding and some racing in the thick mud. So I decided to give her a new look.

Awww Yeah.Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-img_0521.jpg

mtbr member
    Very nice..... high polish is always one of my favorite finishes.... what's the accent color plans?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rsullivan View Post
    Very nice..... high polish is always one of my favorite finishes.... what's the accent color plans?
    I'd like to go with something more original, but I've been supplied with red and black parts by my cousin who is inheriting the bike from me. It's what we had on hand. I may throw in a couple blue things for a Captain America vibe.

Speaking of which, has anyone ever run a turbine crank (older non cinch model) with a 30t NW chainring? Wondering how many driveside spacers I need to run so I can clear the chainstay yoke?

mtbr member
    "Inheriting".... what frame did you move to?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rsullivan View Post
    "Inheriting".... what frame did you move to?
    I went all hoity toity with a custom steel hardtail. I basically went with the Yelli's geo with a longer reach, shorter chainstays, steeper seat tube, and a lower BB. Plus I got stealth dropper routing, a 142x12 axle, trick internal cable routing, and clearance for a 2.5" tire.

Very much inspired by the Yelli/Nimble but a better fit for my orangutan-like proportions. Canfield seems to have since made a lot of similar changes to the Yelli/EPO.

If anyone is in the market HIGHLY recommend this guy. It's more affordable than you might think too. Meriwether Cycles | Russell?s 29er

Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-img_0641.jpg

Had to keep the Yelli in the family b/c of the emotional attachment built up after almost 4 years of good times! She will live on!

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    You gonna show us the whole frame rusty?

The custom is sweet. Guy does really clean work.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    You gonna show us the whole frame rusty?

The custom is sweet. Guy does really clean work.
    Yeah will do, I kind of cheated with the first photo, have not achieved that kind of shine with the rest of the frame yet! Should be all finished tonight though. Wish I had air tools. Hand polishing wears me out!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Not a great pic but hear yah go! May make it a bit shinier but I might need a machine polisher and a more aggressive compound.Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-img_0531.jpg
    Last edited by rusty904; 07-23-2015 at 01:11 PM.

mtbr member
    so that's just unfinished - 'real' raw? no plans on laying a clear coat on top?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    so that's just unfinished - 'real' raw? no plans on laying a clear coat on top?
    I'm just going to leave it alone, no plans to clear. I did the same thing to my cannondale chase a few years back and the high polish maintains itself pretty well. I just give it a light buff every 4-6mo (like 5-10min worth) and it goes right back to shiny. Just like maintaining mag wheels. I've found if you clear over raw corrosion can get underneath the clear and then you have to strip and start over.

mtbr member

2014 Ano Red YS

After two months of agonizing over parts, here is my build. Props to DustyDuke on the wheels.

Frame: 2014 Ano Red Yelli (Large)
    Fork: X-Fusion Trace RL2
    Brakes: XT
    Drivetrain: XTR 11-speed M9000
    Crankset: RaceFace Turbine Cinch 30T
    Seat: Chromag Trailmaster DT
    Wheels: WTB KOM i25 with Hope Hubs
    Tires: Maxxis Ardent 2.4 Front, Ikon 2.35 Rear
    Stem: RaceFace Turbine 60mm
    Bar: Easton Haven Carbon 740mm
    Grips: Lizard Skins Peaty

Hopefully, first ride tomorrow.

Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-yelli-1.jpg

Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-yelli-3.jpg

Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-yelli-2.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

My first build

Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-img_20150804_214227.jpg

Building one from the ground up is an experience thats for sure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

New to the thread and the wonderful world of Yelli. Here's mine.

Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-20150712_123532.jpgYelli Screamy Photo Thread-20150712_123632.jpgYelli Screamy Photo Thread-20150712_123612.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I guess I should post the build...

Large ~2012 Yelli
    2011 Reba "120mm" (acutally is ~115mm)
    Custom I9 Torch/Velocity Blunt wheels built by Dave Thomas at Speeddream (highly recommended)
    Ardent 2.4s
    XT drive train
    Stylo crank
    RF 32t NW
    XT pedals
    XT brakes
    Fizik saddle
    Giant Contact Switch dropper
    Spank Oozy stem 65mm
    Funn flat bar 785mm
    ODI rogue grips

Very curious to go up to a 140mm fork and/or B+ wheels.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

2015 XL Yelli

Wanted a Yelli for years, now I got one and loving it!

Shimano XT, Hope and Thomson bits with a 140mm Pike RCT3. Only missing a Thomson Elite Covert Dropper that is out of stock everywhere, currently a non-adjustable KS Lev in it's place.

Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-dsc_0031_4.jpgYelli Screamy Photo Thread-dsc_0033_5.jpg

n00b
    Hell yeah!
    That's awesome

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    instagram@krigloch

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by kalroot View Post
    I guess I should post the build...

Large ~2012 Yelli
    2011 Reba "120mm" (acutally is ~115mm)
    Custom I9 Torch/Velocity Blunt wheels built by Dave Thomas at Speeddream (highly recommended)
    Ardent 2.4s
    XT drive train
    Stylo crank
    RF 32t NW
    XT pedals
    XT brakes
    Fizik saddle
    Giant Contact Switch dropper
    Spank Oozy stem 65mm
    Funn flat bar 785mm
    ODI rogue grips

Very curious to go up to a 140mm fork and/or B+ wheels.
    I'd skip the b+ wheels, that's me though

My parts list
    2015 yelli screamy xl
    Sektor gold RL 140mm
    Raceface handle bar 720mm
    Raceface stem 45mm
    Raceface 32t w/ bash crankset
    SRAM 11-36 cassette
    SRAM gx2 10sp derailleur
    SRAM chain
    SRAM x7 rear shifter
    Odi grips
    Dnl dropper seat post
    Welgo wg-1 pedals
    DT swiss rims and spokes
    SRAM x9 hubs
    Continental MkII

Idk if any of that is decent but I love my yelli

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

New pic

Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-img_20150819_1908592.jpg

Next to the Framed Twenty9er

mtbr member
    After two months of agonizing over parts, here is my build. Props to DustyDuke on the wheels.

Name:	Yelli 3.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	1005522
    do you think a 34t will fit with a cinch system? wondering how much further can an rf cinch be shimmed outboard on the DS

Chris Bling

Name:	Yelli 1.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	190.3 KB 
ID:	1005520

Name:	Yelli 3.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	1005522

Name:	Yelli 2.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	1005521
    Rig looks awesome. I like the color scheme
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member

Love the ride

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Any of you guys with the 2015 Yelli's have any pics with LARGE volume tires and how much clearance you have? I know you can run 27.5+ but I'm wondering specifically clearance with a true, big volume, 29".

I end up running large volume tires like 2.4 Ardent, 2.4 Conti Trail King on WTB i25 rims. I'd like to run a 2.5 Minion if it will fit (or something larger)?

Thanks!
    Last edited by VeloRyan; 09-17-2015 at 07:44 AM.
    -VeloRyan-

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by VeloRyan View Post
    I'd like to run a 2.5 Minion if it will fit (or something larger)?
    I think I read somewhere that they designed it to fit the 2.5 Minion DHF specifically. In any case they'll fit, that's what they're running on their demo build.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast