Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by spyghost View Post
    What 45mm you using?

So youre using saint levers on xt calipers?
    Loaded precision 45mm stem.No as I stated xt levers with saint calipers.06-07 era.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    How does your brake perform with that mix?

mtbr member
    Whats the biggest tire for this frame?

Will Ardent 2.4 on Flow work?

Espen

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen View Post

Espen
    I have an Ardent 2.25 on a Flow in the back with what looks like enough room to go 2.4. My plan is to replace the 2.25 with the 2.4 in a couple months...

You should try it first and report back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I can fit a Conti Trail King 2.4 in a Velocity P35 and I run 3 x 9 drivetrain.

mtbr member
    I guess the Ardent 2.4 is bigger than the TK 2.4. How much clearance around that tire?

E

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Cheers mxer!
    There is loads of room with the 2.2 Conti on there. If I get time over the next couple of weeks I'll mount a 2.5 DHF Minion on the the rear just to see how close it is ... would imagine thats the limit though, if not too big.

Cant wait to get out and get some miles on it. Heli tape is pretty much done on it now.

WNC Native

Espen
    I fit a Rampage 2.3 on 38mm wide Kris Holm rims on mine.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

....just cruisin through
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses-31 View Post
    Cheers mxer!
    There is loads of room with the 2.2 Conti on there. If I get time over the next couple of weeks I'll mount a 2.5 DHF Minion on the the rear just to see how close it is ... would imagine thats the limit though, if not too big.

Cant wait to get out and get some miles on it. Heli tape is pretty much done on it now.
    Ardent 2.4 on Flow (not EX) will fit with room to spare
    Minion 2.5 on Flow (not EX) will not fit (two or three outside lugs of the entire tire will contact the non-driveside chainstay (see below):
    Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-p4pb9897640.jpg
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Here are just a few of the key ingredients: dynamite, pole vaulting, laughing gas, choppers.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dfrazm View Post
    Ardent 2.4 on Flow (not EX) will fit with room to spare
    Minion 2.5 on Flow (not EX) will not fit (two or three outside lugs of the entire tire will contact the non-driveside chainstay (see below):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p4pb9897640.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	915275
    Cheers fella, saved me messing around with that

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Well it pains me to say it, but I think my stable is going to be down a Yelli.

Rode the bike is the Rattling Off Road last weekend at Rattling Creek, PA. Basically a 30 mile rock garden and, while the bike shined at attacked every single line I told it to, my back took a pounding. For 90% of the rides I do on the Yelli it's fine. Then the other 10% (which are the longer races) my back pain wins the battle.

Which sucks because this (and my Nimble 9 - which is staying since it's SS so I ride out of saddle more, steel so it at least soaks up SOME chatter, and I don't ride it on the super long endurance rides so it doesn't bother the back) is the funnest bike I have ever owned.

And the prettiest.

I REALLY wish I had the money to keep this bike to ride on shorter and/or less rocky and build an FS rig up too, but that ain't in the cards right now so I need to harvest the parts for the new build. I'm half tempted to keep the frame and hang it on the wall until I can afford to build it up again for that purpose... lol

So it looks like a full squish build is in my future and Craigslist and Pinkbike are in the Yelli's unless someone can convince me otherwise...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDragonX View Post
    The 2.4" Ardent fits easily in the rear. They're the first tires I ran on my Yelli. They work well enough as an all-arounder.
    Lovely!

What kind of rim?

Edit: Question answered by dfrazm. Thanks!

Espen

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    Well it pains me to say it, but I think my stable is going to be down a Yelli.

Rode the bike is the Rattling Off Road last weekend at Rattling Creek, PA. Basically a 30 mile rock garden and, while the bike shined at attacked every single line I told it to, my back took a pounding. For 90% of the rides I do on the Yelli it's fine. Then the other 10% (which are the longer races) my back pain wins the battle.

Which sucks because this (and my Nimble 9 - which is staying since it's SS so I ride out of saddle more, steel so it at least soaks up SOME chatter, and I don't ride it on the super long endurance rides so it doesn't bother the back) is the funnest bike I have ever owned.

And the prettiest.

I REALLY wish I had the money to keep this bike to ride on shorter and/or less rocky and build an FS rig up too, but that ain't in the cards right now so I need to harvest the parts for the new build. I'm half tempted to keep the frame and hang it on the wall until I can afford to build it up again for that purpose... lol

So it looks like a full squish build is in my future and Craigslist and Pinkbike are in the Yelli's unless someone can convince me otherwise...
    Don't do it!!!!! Set the frame on the wall for a later build.....Just saying your half convinced to hang on to it shows you will have TREMENDOUS sellers remorse... Build the squish and slowly put the Yelli back together. You will like yourself much more that way!!!
    The Official Mid-west Canfield Brothers #1 Fan and Demo fleet !!http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79...ps00f08dc1.jpg

bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by rsullivan View Post
    Don't do it!!!!! Set the frame on the wall for a later build.....Just saying your half convinced to hang on to it shows you will have TREMENDOUS sellers remorse... Build the squish and slowly put the Yelli back together. You will like yourself much more that way!!!
    Have to agree. I have a Yelli and a couple squishy bikes. Horses for courses.

Morgan

MTBR Member
    Don't see why you need the Yelli when you have the Nimble. Could always convert the Nimble to geared.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Lovely!

What kind of rim?
    Ardent 2.4 on P35 do fit with spare room

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman View Post
    Don't see why you need the Yelli when you have the Nimble. Could always convert the Nimble to geared.
    This was my thinking, sort of.

I really want a full squish, but to do that I would have to sell a bike. No need for two hardtails with such similar geo. And between the two bikes I prefer the Nimble anyways. For the steel and for the ability to go SS or geared.

I wish I just hit the lotto (which I don't even play, lol) so I could keep both and build the dream steed.

mtbr member

Yelli Screamy Photo Thread

Here's a recent picture of my Yelli - finally 100% built up the way I want it.

mtbr member
    I have my Large frame in the basement just begging me to build it. I got the itch to build a super light XC style bike this year into next season but I keep remembering how much fun the Yelli is. I don't think I could ever sell it. The tough part is that there are carbon frames out there that are almost 2 lbs lighter! That's huge. But they're not necessarily fun to ride as we all know. I wonder how silly light I could go with a Yelli in XC mode?

Has any one taken this route? I'm thinking SID style fork 1600 gram wheels and a standard seat post. 20 lbs doable? God I'd love to find this geo in carbon!
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman View Post
    I had the same issue. Had a very nice N9 built up and found a killer deal on a FS frame. Starting calculating budget, and realized it would take wayyy too long to build up FS w/o thinning the herd. I ended up selling my N9 frame, and even though I was really sad to see her go, I am 100% over it.

The n9 is a very nice frame, but I want to ride long into my golden years, and I am hoping a FS will take me there. I did what had to be done, and will never look back.

Bad cat!
    Yelli Screamy Photo Thread-yelli.jpg

A pretty typical xc yelli build probably...100mm reba. Running 1x9 with an HBC chainring while I wait for a Wolftooth NW 30t. But had to get it up and running for a test drive. Just cruising around in flip flops, but feels really good. In contrast to some, I'm going from full squish to hardtail. I just looted lots of parts off my Epic comp, a really nice bike the Epic, but just started to seem a bit boring. Guess I'm a hardtail guy at heart. Kept riding the carbon stumpy ht, which will be the dedicated race bike now, the Yelli for 80% of my rides. And maybe a race or two, who knows?

Super impressed by how well it climbs standing up--in flip flops no less. Tomorrow I'll get it out for a real spin...oh yeah, 24.6 as pictured...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Looks nice, that's really light too! Been putting in a few xc miles on mine and it's happy at 110m but still really lively when you need it to be. At 140mm it a different kind of animal.

Bad cat!
    ^^^I can see it would be--after one ride I can begin to imagine a long travel fork and a 5" dropper. But man it didn't disappoint with the 4" dropper and 100mm fork. Have some pretty decent sized rubber on so ride was not punishing at all, climbing I give it a 9, can come out of the saddle effortlessly and get your weight too far forward and it just digs in anyway, descending is a blast, bike changes direction and carves so easily, switchbacks are actually fun the turning radius is so tight, just a good time all around. I'm a short stay believer. I have been to the mountaintop...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Yea, I'm very pleased with the frame, I wanted a do it all bike and the Yelli is a do it all frame for sure. Found a sexy couple of miles of rooty loamy then in to fast flowing tight curvy singletrack yesterday and the Yelli was right there the whole way, so compliant, love it. As you said, those short stay make it so easy to control in switchback and berms, its actually now fun to throw the bike about a bit!
    Climbing is great too (@110mm), had some nice rock and root climbs yest and I think the short stays help there too as they make it easier to pop the front wheel up & over, even when sitting forward ... @140mm might take a bit more work to keep the front down though. That said, I've found I only use the Revs at 140mm for going down stuff.

So far despite being about 1.5lbs heavier the Yelli is faster than the my old Canyon! I didnt believe it to start with as it feels slower to ride and the wheelset (with rotors) is a touch heavier.

mtbr member
    Anyone built up a Fern Green Yelli ? I would love to see some pics of one of those please!
    Ridin' & Diggin'

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast