mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Yelli Rear Derailleur Fitament Concern

Hi!

So I bought a Yelli Screamy frame and began assembling it with a mix of new and used components from my current bike. I have an new X0 Type 2 short cage rear derailleur that I attempted to mount to the hanger and the cage hits the hanger in its "out of the box" retracted position. I had to extend the cage forward to have clearance to mount it and the cage would then sit on it once retracted again as shown in the pic below. If I pushed the derailleur out to the cassette, the bottom of the cage hits the cassette teeth. I tried moving all adjustment screws to no avail. I decided to install the new chain, set the H and L limits and adjusted B-screw to 6mm from largest(34T) cog. A quick ride around the neighborhood to dial in the shifting and the cockpit and it seems ready for its first trail. Can't wait. The question are, is this normal or has been anyone else's experience? I'm just worried of damage by the off chance the chain breaks and the derailleur smacks back into the cassette.

Yelli Rear Derailleur Fitament Concern-yelli.jpg

mtbr member
    That's perfectly normal. Have you installed a derailleur before? I've never had one not do that. None of the adjustments on a derailleur control that; there's no need to, the chain would have to have a good 3-4" of slack before it got to that position and the only way that could happen is if you installed too-long a chain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    That's perfectly normal. Have you installed a derailleur before? I've never had one not do that. None of the adjustments on a derailleur control that; there's no need to, the chain would have to have a good 3-4" of slack before it got to that position and the only way that could happen is if you installed too-long a chain.
    I've installed and played with 2 long cage derailleurs over the last year on my old bike and never encountered this. This is my first short cage, so the contact was new to me. Everything works perfectly all assembled and and adjusted. Thanks for answering.