YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Yelli or Nimble?

Looks like I will be ordering one of these in a week or so. Could anyone chime in on why they prefer one over the other? What is the weight differential in the two frames?
    Appreciate any input.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    For me it boil down to.... Do you want to ever run the bike singlespeed or not.

tao
    succinct
    steel is real.
    plunging like stones from a slingshot on mars.

mtbr member
    If I had to choose one, it would be the new Nimble 9, it is just too pretty.

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks for the responses. I don't think I will be tempted to run singlspeed. They both are beautiful bikes. Deciding comes down to ride quality for me. Anyone ridden them both?

AOK
    mtbr member

Yelli or Nimble?

Nobody has ridden the new Nimble frame... Or at least nobody who doesn't work for Canfield.

You asked about weight difference. I think the YS frame comes in around 4-4.5 lbs, whereas the new N9 is around 6.5 lbs. Going by memory from what I have read in other threads.

My gen 1 Nimble is in the 5 lb range, FWIW.

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    That is quite a weight difference. I was looking at the shorter stays and and steel as factors that would push towards the 9, but 2 pounds is a nice push to the Yelli

mtbr member
    No SS? Yelli IMHO (and I *love* my N9). If you're worried about ride quality, a slightly larger rear tire at a few psi less, maybe add a carbon or ti seatpost, and you're there...granted, I ride a N9 with a big soft rear tire and ti post

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1017 View Post
    For me it boil down to.... Do you want to ever run the bike singlespeed or not.
    My Yelli is a single speed...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by grundy View Post
    My Yelli is a single speed...
    You know what I mean..A PROPER singlespeed. Not magic gear, surly singleator (or similiar), etc, etc.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I ride the Nimble (old) and the Yelli.
    If you are looking for long, slow and comfortable rides the N9 is the answer.
    If you are looking for do it all bike and more aggressive, then the Yelli rules.
    Love them both but the Yelli keep surprising me.
    If I have to choose I will go for the Yelli.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yelli or Nimble?-img_2845_web.jpg  

Yelli or Nimble?-img_2550-large-.jpg  

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by esku View Post
    I ride the Nimble (old) and the Yelli.
    If you are looking for long, slow and comfortable rides the N9 is the answer.
    If you are looking for do it all bike and more aggressive, then the Yelli rules.
    Love them both but the Yelli keep surprising me.
    If I have to choose I will go for the Yelli.
    That is surprising about the nimble. I had a very different picture in my head.
    Thanks for the view of both

Space Ghost
    Different strokes for different folks I guess. My Nimble9 in SS set up has been the fastest, most fun HT bike I have ever owned. I have owned a LOT of aluminum Ht's and prefer the ride of steel. The 2 lb. difference in the frame is only noticeable on the scale. That being said, I would buy the Yelli if I knew for sure I would never go SS. I run a carbon post and bar on my N9 and feel it does help dampen some of the vibes over an Al. post.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Before I got the Yelli I was sure that the N9 is the best frame I ever had.
    Light for steel, great geometry and looks great,
    I rode it SS, geared, rigid and with front shocks (100-120-140).
    I hate Alu' frames, I don't like the harshness but I like the weight and stiffness (I think the carbon is the best).
    When I bought the Yelli (from curiosity) I was surprised,
    the first ride that I did was with some friends of mine that rides DH/FR/AM bikes and it was in a very fast and tech terrain, I wasn't the last guy in group and I think that I had more fun then them.
    latter on I took it to a desert trip (something that I wouldn't even think to do with Alu' HT frame), it was one of the best trips I ever did.
    I love the N9, I think its the best steel frame out there, as a SS I love it more then my Ti' frames and it's just a blast, but the Yelli is a better pedaling, stiffer, lighter and more aggressive frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yelli or Nimble?-img_2666-large-.jpg  

Yelli or Nimble?-img_2656-large-.jpg  

Yelli or Nimble?-img_2652-large-.jpg  

Yelli or Nimble?-img_2668-large-.jpg  

Yelli or Nimble?-img_2671-large-.jpg  

Yelli or Nimble?-img_2673-large-.jpg  

Yelli or Nimble?-img_2678-large-.jpg  

Last edited by esku; 03-30-2013 at 08:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1017 View Post
    You know what I mean..A PROPER singlespeed. Not magic gear, surly singleator (or similiar), etc, etc.
    Yes, I do know what you mean. However, I've been quite surprised at how well it's been working out. I'm using a DMR STS tensioner and have absolutely no complaints. My previous single speed was an EBB; I'm equally happy with this setup, maybe happier. Anyway, I don't mean to derail the thread, but it's worth mentioning that this is a completely worthy option.

local trails rider
    What about... if you are a clyde who likes to ride singlespeed and does NOT like lateral flexing?
    (not into SS purism)

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I prefer a steel frame and I've ridden a ton of Aluminum bikes that I liked but were pretty jarring. I know there aren't any of the new N9 out there but outside of SS compatibility, why would someone go with the Yelli instead of the new N9? I am interested in a longer travel steel HT. There are only a few options out there and the N9 is one of the more expensive frames. It has everything I think I need in a frame outside of the 142x12 through axle.
    Quote Originally Posted by esku View Post
    Before I got the Yelli I was sure that the N9 is the best frame I ever had.
    While I appreciate the opinion, I'm not sure how useful it might be considering the new Nimble 9 is not the same as the old Nimble 9.

With that said, I was under the impression that the Nimble 9 was basically a steel Yelli. Looking at the geometry, the new N9 is not identical but it seems closer to the Yelli than the old N9.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR-33 View Post
    why would someone go with the Yelli instead of the new N9?
    I love the frame weight and stiffness of my new Yelli. Basing this on previous experiences on modern steel designs. I've found that I prefer aluminum bikes - in general.
    My one says BRAP!

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by plume View Post
    I've found that I prefer aluminum bikes - in general.
    Blasphemy!!!

Don't you know that it is hard to get "aluminum" to rhyme with anything cool?

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    Blasphemy!!!

Don't you know that it is hard to get "aluminum" to rhyme with anything cool?
    I know right!
    My one says BRAP!