mtbr member

Yelli Brake Mount

I have a Yelli frame that I'm building up for a present. As I was mounting a rear brake adapter to the brake mount, it appears that the distance between the mounting holes of the brake mount is smaller than that of the adapter by about 2 mm.

I couldn't find anything that showed dimensions for either the brake mount or adapter to see which of the parts is out of dimension.

Have any of you encountered this kind of problem and if so, what did you do about it?

Thansk.

mtbr member
    Your IS brake mount on the Yelli frame should be spaced 51mm from center to center of the two holes.

If the distance is too large or two small then your frame is probably out of tolerance, and I would email Canfield Bros.

mtbr member
    Thanks. I checked it and center to center is just shy of 50 mm. I had emailed Canfield Bros. onthis but wanted some more input.

The White Jeff W
    Common problem on the new batch of frames. Canfield said the heat from welding caused the mounts to shrink a bit. The fix Ive read is to take a small round file & open up the holes till you have the needed clearance.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    My first thought was to do something like that, but I wanted to make sure before I touch the frame. Was hoping it might be the adapter as scrapping it for another one would be the easiest way.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

As said ... this is not an uncommon problem.

On the first frame I received from CB, the holes on the IS mount were too close together to simply widen the boring to allow the adapter to mount on. The 2nd frame I received from them still had issues with the IS mount being out of spec but at least you could get the adapter to the mount with a bit of effort. Unfortunately that frame had another problem (the chainstay was out-of-spec) so there was no way to do a 3xY or 2xY given the clearance issues.

Chris C made it work on a 3rd frame and personally built out the bike for me and I am totally loving it.
    The quiver: 2010 Santa Cruz Nomad, 2011 Specialized Demo II, 2011 Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The Bros. are aware of this. This was a problem for a few frames on that batch. All the current frames in stock have been checked for this. Your's must have slipped through. The problem has been addressed for new frames. Its a minor hang-up, but after that like others have said, its smooth sailing.

When in doubt....Call Canfield

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone for your responses. I emailed CB and they responded very quick with directions on addressing it (thanks Sean). I made some adjustments and everything worked out great.