mtbr member

Yelli 100 or 120?

Hi everyone, I picked up a large yelli to build up and have some fun on. I am trying to decide on a front fork either 100 or 120 travel, anything more than that would be overkill for my needs. Has anyone tried both these sizes, what was the decision? was there a difference in how the bike climbed? Handled the tight stuff? Handled the downhills? Overall balance of the bike? Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Great question:

I just purchased a Yelli Screamy and just received it today as well. I asked the same question as I've read many reviews regarding how light the front end was. It seemed that most people replied that they do not have a problem at all with the 120mm. In fact it seems to be the sweet spot for the handling of the bike. You can actually watch a youtube vid from 29er online and a guy and girl review the yelli screamy and discuss this. It seemed that the guy liked the 120 and didn't have any issues with it. The girl mentioned that she preferred the 100 on very steep climbs. With all of that being said - I got a Fox 95/120 Talas for it so I can figure it out when I get it built up. I hope that helps a little - good luck and enjoy the bike....I hear it's awesome!

bicycle rider

Morgan

mtbr member
    Briandwyer, thanks for your imput. I will probably follow suit with the Fox Talas 95/120. Looking forward to completing this build, cant wait to take it on a test ride.

MTBR Member
    I've run my Yelli at 120 and 100. Started at 120, 80mm stem, low riser. At 120, the bike felt great pretty much all around. Only issue was some floating on the steeper climbs around here and the rear-end felt quicker than the front when leaning into turns.

When I switched to 100, the bike immediately felt more in-tune front to back - more balanced. Maybe that aspect could have been addressed on the 120 with a shorter stem/different set up. I would have preferred to stick to 120, but that fork wasn't working out and my only other option(in hand) was a 100. One other benefit to the 120 was that it was better at holding me up in steep/rough drops or dips. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with the switch and won't likely go back to 120 - if I'm riding anything really steep/chunky, I'll bring a different bike.