mtbr member
    May 2013

XX1 crank compatibility issue on Yelli

Xpost from 29er forum, was told to try posting here.

I have started building up my CanfieldBrothers Yelli Screamy and I have run into a problem with installing my XX1 crankset. As you can see in the pictures I have 2 drive side spacers and I am still un able to fit the cranks on without the teeth hitting the chain stay. I still need a good 4-5mm of clearances. I bought the Q156 GXP version and am now thinking that the Yelli is only compatible with the Q168 version of the XX1 cranks. Is this my problem? or is there some other work around. I dont want to buy the Q168 version and run into the same problem.

XX1 crank compatibility issue on Yelli-photo-may-27-12-26-07-pm.jpgXX1 crank compatibility issue on Yelli-photo-may-27-12-26-46-pm.jpgXX1 crank compatibility issue on Yelli-photo-may-27-12-27-59-pm.jpg

mtbr member

Yes. You need the q 168 crankset. The only drawback to the yelli is the crankset. It's a tight fit.

Not a drawback I guess. Just requires more planning.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I am running an X9/MPR 32t Bling Ring on mine and I barely clear the chainstay. Probably too close for comfort, but it works.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thats a bummer. I guess there's ~$200 down the drain. So what it sounds like is i need to get the 168Q factor version and the 32t will work correct? Dont want to throw more money down the drain.

XX1 crank compatibility issue on Yelli-photo-may-27-6-42-14-pm.jpg
    I want to ride this bike so bad!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XX1 crank compatibility issue on Yelli-photo-may-27-6-42-14-pm.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Swab View Post
    Thats a bummer. I guess there's ~$200 down the drain.
    Ever hear of ebay?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertr View Post
    Ever hear of ebay?
    Apparently not. Or the Classifieds here or Pinkbike.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Haha, I was just saying that more out of frustration. I understand I could sell it, and most parts of this bike actually came from craigslist and pinkbike. But from the other thread it looks as if this crankset might actually work and I just need to order the smaller chainring.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    If the XX1 is like other gigapipe cranks, spacers cannot be used to space the drive side crank outward. Spacers can only move both cranks leftward (toward the non-drive side).

The reason for this is that the the spindle floats on the drive side cup, not being attached there at all. Moving the drive side cup outward does not move the spindle or cranks. All it does is decrease the clearance between the bottom bracket cup and crank arm.

It is just the non-drive side cup that is attached to the spindle. When the crank bolt is tightened, it sandwiches the non-drive side bearing and this is what prevents side to side movement. Putting spacers on the non-drive side will move both cranks to to the left.

Grinding down (facing) the non-drive side can move everything to the right. If only a milimeter or two is needed, this is a reasonable option and one that can be basically reversed by using a spacer on that side if you ever want to return to the frame to it's original width. I'm not endorsing that option but it is a possibility with some frames. You'd need to check crank clearance on the non-drive side beforehand to make sure the crank wouldn't hit the chainstay.

Canfield Brothers
    Swab - What size ring are you trying to use? The wider 168q is recommended on the Yelli, however, I was able to install a 154q with a 32t ring on my wife's Yelli. I used 1-2.5mm driveside BB and 3-1mm Race Face spindle spacers. Not ideal, but it works as the XX1's have a interesting q factor for sure!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I was trying to use the 32t chain ring. I just ordered a 28t because I just want to ride this bike and it hopefully wont give me trouble. Will try these tricks if I want to gear up from the 28t.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Trust me, crank fitment is weird on this bike for sure but you'll forget about it once you ride it... be wary of spacer fitment on that GXP style crank, you need enough purchase on the non drive side to install it without it coming off.
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    May 2013

Finally got everything working. This bike rides like a dream! Ended up running a 28t with a drive side bb spacer and 2 1mm spindle spacers in order to get enough clearance on the drive side arm. Probably going to gear up to the 30t as long as I can make it fit.

XX1 crank compatibility issue on Yelli-imageuploadedbytapatalk-21370285379.004349.jpgXX1 crank compatibility issue on Yelli-imageuploadedbytapatalk-21370285395.518340.jpgXX1 crank compatibility issue on Yelli-imageuploadedbytapatalk-21370285404.818459.jpgXX1 crank compatibility issue on Yelli-imageuploadedbytapatalk-21370285414.285147.jpgXX1 crank compatibility issue on Yelli-imageuploadedbytapatalk-21370285444.668265.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by plume View Post
    Trust me, crank fitment is weird on this bike for sure but you'll forget about it once you ride it... be wary of spacer fitment on that GXP style crank, you need enough purchase on the non drive side to install it without it coming off.
    In know this thread's a bit old, but this problem isn't. Has anyone tried Chris King GXP conversion spacers to go between the GXP LHS bearing and the step in the axle, so that you can still tighten up to the right torque?