mtbr member

why me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

so i got my Yelli order today, including the frame, wheelset, and pedals. pedals were wrong color, no issue. both wheels have a slight divot to them, side to side. no worries! hell yeah! also received my crank, rear Zee shifter, both rotors.

rotors are mounted. started to assemble the crank. started both sides of the bottom bracket. seems tight. if i waited a few minutes, it would turn again but then feel tight. only 2-3 threads at beginning were ever hand turnable. kept going. noticed my cheap quality Spin Doctor tool was making some marks in both cups. ****. well, it finally got to the "i should stop and do some research" stage. apparently that **** should hand thread in! FML!

was even harder to back out. once out, both were missing the first 3mm or so of threads, and the left back remnants were goobered together with a couple of the threads of the tube itself. Great. just ****ing great!

why me

worst part is i know better. im a mechanic for christ sake. ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2012 Airborne Guardian.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    i feel your pain. when i bought my first new vehicle it was hit by a lady within a week. two months later a girl side swiped me while texting. never fails any time i get something nice. the bright side is those of us with the worst luck seem to know how to fix things better (and have the right tools too). hope you get it squared away

mtbr member
    thanx man. i cant believe i did it. well, i have another BB on the way. guess ill have to try and get a local shop to chase it out. ****
    2012 Airborne Guardian.

mtbr member
    so did you butcher the frame bb or the crank bb cups?
    '12 Canfield One! - f\/ck yeah!
    '12 Canfield brothers Jedi F1 - so fast im back in time

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by katsooba View Post
    so did you butcher the frame bb or the crank bb cups?
    Sounds like both. Would the LBS have a tap that they could chase the threads in the frame with?
    No moss...

MTBR Member
    Sounds like the BB shell is out of spec.

I just learned last week, while trying to install King BB cups, that the non-drive side threads on my Yelli are out of spec(to some degree). I have been running an XTRm970 crank/bb on the frame since building up the frame in January and although the bb cups did not turn in smoothly(Canfield faces but doesn't chase) I was able to get the cup in and torque to spec - didn't think much of it at that time. When trying to swap to the King, the NDS cup would only thread in a full turn or two.

From there, I decided to break out my Park BTS-1 and tap the threads. This is where it was kinda odd. The DS shell threads tapped normally to every other BB I have ever chased, but something was off when tapping the NDS shell. I would cut the threads(1/4 turn) and back off(clean...1/2 turn), but when 'cleaning' the tap was notchy instead of being very smooth like usual. I was able to get the NDS tap all the way in though.

Went to thread the King BB cups in - the DS cup threaded all the way in by hand and the NDS did as well, until there was about a 6mm between cup and shell face. The tension ramped up significantly and I didn't push the matter. Backed it out and got the XTR back in there.

I think it might be that the shell/threads were slightly distorted - probably during welding. Anyways, feel your pain OP. I'll get in contact with Canfield this week. You might want to do the same before trying that new BB.

Look at the time!
    Both my Canfield frames have had one thread somewhere or other that hadn't been chased properly. One of the linkage pivot threads on my last one, and one of the ISCG threads on my current one. It can happen. If something doesn't thread in right, stop and find yourself some thread repair tools straight away (or take it somewhere it can be fixed) before you mangle it.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

mtbr member
    yeah, **** sucks. i was so excited, and then i wanted to kick ****!

im going to try having it chased once i get some funds back. i ordered the bottom bracket online last night. hope to see it in a couple weeks. shipping from UK. i really hope it fixes it.
    2012 Airborne Guardian.

mtbr member
    oh, i butchered both!
    2012 Airborne Guardian.