mtbr member

Who uses the Fox X2 on the 2016-17 Balance?

I currently have the 11/6 and couldn't be happier, but i just got a X2 to use on my 2016 Balance for when Push comes out with the 11/6 for the Nomad 4.
    Darren said they will make a very special price on the kit to transform the 11/6 for the Nomad 3 (the one have on the Balance - just have to add more compression) to the Nomad 4, so time will come when i do that.

So, who's using a Fox X2 on the Balance and what is your set up?
    Are you satisfied with the X2? (i currently have one the the Nomad 4 and love it)

mtbr member
    No one?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I use the Float X2 on my 2016 Riot.
    Love it. Great shock.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I use an X2 on my 16 Balance. I haven't found settings I like yet. I would say it has more mid platform support than the cc-air but the traction isnt any better and climb switch is worse as its not two channels. I regret getting it honestly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I started running the 2018 X2 on my 2016 Balance after blowing up my CC twice with less than 600 miles of riding each time. Was hoping for the same performance with better reliability. Then I blew up the X2 after about 600 miles. 🤬

Supposedly they did a running fix on the 2018 model to deal with premature failures. I have 650 miles on the rebuilt X2 so fingers crossed. The service interval should be around 850...

As far as performance, I am totally happy with it. Feels pretty much like my old CC. Maybe a bit poppier off the jumps but that could just be tuning differences.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by madamfunk View Post
    I use an X2 on my 16 Balance. I haven't found settings I like yet. I would say it has more mid platform support than the cc-air but the traction isnt any better and climb switch is worse as its not two channels. I regret getting it honestly.
    Interesting... to each their own.
    I think the Float X2 is the best air shock I've used, and it definitely has the only 'climb switch' 2-position lever that I've ever liked.
    I never touched the CC one, as it just aggravated me, but I love the way the X2 version works.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jminus View Post
    I started running the 2018 X2 on my 2016 Balance after blowing up my CC twice with less than 600 miles of riding each time. Was hoping for the same performance with better reliability. Then I blew up the X2 after about 600 miles. 郎
    THIS! Rebound damping failed regularly on the cc turning it into a pogo stick. This lead to a crash, my fault, I should have sent it in for servicing.
    After the 3rd failure I got an x2 as a replacement, thinking it would be more reliable. NO difference. rebound had failed again, pinging me over the bars suffering a punctured lung this time.
    Ive never had issues with coil shocks, although the damping could fail just as easily, but it never has.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcozzy29 View Post
    THIS! Rebound damping failed regularly on the cc turning it into a pogo stick. This lead to a crash, my fault, I should have sent it in for servicing.
    After the 3rd failure I got an x2 as a replacement, thinking it would be more reliable. NO difference. rebound had failed again, pinging me over the bars suffering a punctured lung this time.
    Ive never had issues with coil shocks, although the damping could fail just as easily, but it never has.
    Ouch! Hope you're healed from that last crash...

I also hope the X2 is more reliable than the CCDB.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BTTR View Post
    I also hope the X2 is more reliable than the CCDB.
    no possible way it could be worse, unless Fox decided to just not use seals and rely on blind optimism to keep the oil where it belongs. That's basically what CC does.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mcozzy29 View Post
    Ouch. Sorry to hear about the bad crash. I too detected the damping failures by crashing though in my case it was losing traction in turns unexpectedly and laying the bike down. After the first two I became more paranoid and I caught the third failure (the X2) right when it happened. Something felt off, so I stopped and cycled the suspension and could feel the difference and hear a slurping sound.

FWIW I read somewhere that fox had changed the quad ring in the 2018 shock and that led to many early failures. Supposedly they are replacing that with a better o-ring when they rebuild them.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I love my X2. I don't have the climb lever, that would be my only want. This is a good example of how my setup is working for me. I hucked this on my Jedi the week before trying it on my balance. It's hard to make out but when you take off there is a shelf/ledge to need to clear, making this a little more technical than just tossing yourself off the cliff. Notice how it the bike absorbs the big hit and then the rear is tracking the ground noticeably even under braking.

https://scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram...60188416_n.mp4