mtbr member

Wheel sets, what are you all running?

For me, wheel sets have not been on the priority list of things to spend much money on. "As long as it rolls true and reliable, doesn't cost too much for replacement" I'm happy.

Right now for my AM/lite FR I'm running the ever reliable (and cheap to replace) Rhino Lites, wired to my even more reliable Transition hubs on my One. Though, recently I've been thinking the other way, should I spend a little more per hoop & hub? Maybe some Flows or DT's w/Hopes or Hadleys... But I dunno, is it worth it?

So what are you guys using for your AM exploits? And whats your thinking when it comes to wheel sets, do you keep it cheap like me, or think spending a little more is the way to go?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Running the Canfield AM\FR set. So far so good. I'm running them ghetto tubeless and had no issues with that so far.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    MTX 33s laced to DT440s - spendy, but light enough and pretty much indestructible.

mtbr member
    That's a no nonsense build there! So for you having a spendy set is the way to go. The only little setback (for me that is) would be the weight, but for the piece of mind I''m sure it's well worth the coin.

How long have you been using this set, do you like to earn your turns?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcrs View Post
    That's a no nonsense build there! So for you having a spendy set is the way to go. The only little setback (for me that is) would be the weight, but for the piece of mind I''m sure it's well worth the coin.

How long have you been using this set, do you like to earn your turns?
    It's definitely worth it for me, and in the end the weight difference vs something much less burly isn't that a big of a deal in the grand scheme of a big bike to me. Also, I can throw on a set of single ply tires if I want to run my One as more of a trail bike and save almost a 1000 grams on the wheels without giving up durability.

I just rebuilt a set of these wheels with new rims a few weeks ago for the new One build, but I was on the same hubs with a different set of MTX 33s before for almost 2 years and only had to true them twice. Also, fairly recently, I manged to hook my front end around a trail-side tree going mach-schnell following a pinch flat, did my best superman impression, and found my bike had tomahawked about 30 feet down the trail. Though it looked like a f'ing pringle, the wheel still got me out 3 more miles downhill and I could have probably gotten it pretty close to true if I didn't just throw a new rim on it. Pretty stoked on that.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I agree with you there regarding the weight difference. A couple-hundred-grams here or there on a set could amount to almost nothing in the scheme of things. For cost v performance difference it's more than likely in the price of the tire. Just a little research would go a long way, for a cheap performance upgrade.

You didn't happen to get pic of that superman impression did ya......;]

biking is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcrs View Post
    Yeah, I agree with you there regarding the weight difference. A couple-hundred-grams here or there on a set could amount to almost nothing in the scheme of things. For cost v performance difference it's more than likely in the price of the tire. Just a little research would go a long way, for a cheap performance upgrade.
    I would tend to agree that a few hundred grams here and there wouldn't matter except on the wheels. The less rolling resistance the better for many reasons (less rolling resistance which translates to the bike feeling more lively, easier to pedal, easier to switch directions, etc).

There are plenty of ways to lose weight and still have a very strong wheel.

The plan for my next build will probably be Alex supra D rims, DT comp spokes, and Hadley hubs. Probably come in around 2000ish grams and be able to take a ton of abuse.

I have also heard good things about the canfield wheels so I may end up going the direction as well.

And for what it is worth, I have never had a rim that has been as heavy, yet dented as bad as my mtx 33's that are on my jedi right now. I got the wheelset from a different bike and despite them being really heavy, they have multiple dents in them. Never had this problem before on any other rim. For reference, I weigh 190 and have hope's laced with Flow rims on my AM/FR bike and don't have a single dent in them so I consider myself somewhat of a smooth rider.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingbubba View Post
    I have also heard good things about the canfield wheels so I may end up going the direction as well.
    They're pretty sweet - I railed the hell out of a set while I had Chris' One to demo and was super impressed. Especially when you look at the weight vs cost, I think those are hard to beat for the price. If I didn't already have a set of 36h hubs without a home, I would have picked those up for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by climbingbubba View Post
    And for what it is worth, I have never had a rim that has been as heavy, yet dented as bad as my mtx 33's that are on my jedi right now. I got the wheelset from a different bike and despite them being really heavy, they have multiple dents in them. Never had this problem before on any other rim. For reference, I weigh 190 and have hope's laced with Flow rims on my AM/FR bike and don't have a single dent in them so I consider myself somewhat of a smooth rider.
    You run any other wheelsets on your jedi? I also run some I9/flows on my FR bike that have been problem free for almost 2 years, but can't honestly say that I push that bike even close to as hard as my DH bikes. Even so, I've been pretty stoked on the durability of the MTX's, and only had a few dents in the rear of last pair before I rebuilt these for the new bike, and that was after 2 years of east-coast abuse DH. They are heavy though, and you certainly can't go wrong with the Supra-D's either.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=good4nothing;8506741]They're pretty sweet - I railed the hell out of a set while I had Chris' One to demo and was super impressed. Especially when you look at the weight vs cost, I think those are hard to beat for the price. If I didn't already have a set of 36h hubs without a home, I would have picked those up for sure.

You hit the nail on the head there. For what the cost is, and in seemingly increasing positive feedback the Canfield set's are getting it's hard to ignore. And just to think, that in the not too distant future their 9t rear hub option is going to make things even harder to ignore. Then add their tires! Why stop there, develop 28t guide to complement the 9t hub

My Mavic 721's ding up easy, it's probably part of the design though. Just need to get Morningstars Rim Wrench....

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Running Mavic Crossmax SX's....I figure with me at under 140 pounds theres a good chance they will even handle bike parks as I'll not be taking big hits like the youngsters do
    2011 Canfield ONE 200mm DH 35 pounds
    2010 Specialized Pitch 100% non stock 29 lbs
    Wife: 2009 Canfield ONE also 29 lbs

mtbr member
    I'm still running my Rhino lite setup. The only change is that I went the Stan's tubeless option and mounted a set of Continentals Trail Kings. Coming straight from dh casing Minions the improvement was immediate, and now that I have the pressures about right I think the TK's punch above their weight and work well with the wide-profiled Rhinos.

For the cost per rim ($30ish) I find it pretty hard to part with this setup. They adapted well to the tubeless conversion. I like the look of Profile Racing hubs, pricey but they might find themselves laced to some Rhinos...

mtbr member
    Azonic outlaws. 300$ ish, bombproof.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I have 2 wheelsets built around the Velocity P-35 rim as my all-mountain wheelsets:

29er
    F: 20x110 Hadley w/ 32 DT Swiss Alpine spokes + 185mm rotor
    R: 10x135 Hadley w/ 32 DT Swiss Alpine spokes + 160mm rotor

26er
    F: 20x110 Hope Pro2 w/ 36 DT Swiss Competition spokes + 203mm rotor
    R: 10x135 Hadley w/ 36 DT Swiss Competition spokes + 203mm rotor

Both sets are generally run tubeless using Specialized Purgatory Controls for winter/wet and Tioga Psycho-Genius for summer/dry).

The rear Hope Pro2 (and probably the EVO) comes with an aluminum freehub body that's junk and barely lasted a riding season before the cassette chewed up the freehub.

The conversion kit from Hope for their front hubs has quite a bit more play than the ones from Hadley.

I am a clyde at 250 lbs and the two sets above have taken a lot of abuse without requiring significant truing or spoke tighening. Yes, they were both spendy but if you want both light + strong you are going to have to pay out a bit more.
    The quiver: 2010 Santa Cruz Nomad, 2011 Specialized Demo II, 2011 Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy.

******ed or Branded??
    KIngs on DT Swiss EX500, with DT Comp spokes straight gauge. Light and strong enough. Though my rear went through hell last year. Converted my One to a full fledge DH bike. Put my hadley 823's in the front, boxxer and used it for pure DH/FR for about month. Jedi was on the slow boat. Had a trip to whistler comiing up so the One had to pull through. Few weeks before leaving I go tthe One on DH mode and took the bike down AZ's trials that are the hardes on the bikes. Got a few dents here and there on the Rear hoop. But was able to save it and still rocked the rear in Whistler for 3 full days of riding both upper and lower mountains. But by the end of the trip and another month of beating up the rear wheel with AZ's tough AM trails and me being 205lbs the rear finally need to be rebuilt
    Well I just rebuild the rear with a new DT ex500 hoop. And got the One back to AM mode and it's been awesome.
    .Hoog just texted me and said it's "Surface area to G2 tangential force vector ratio optimization. "

mtbr member
    Well as soon as the Micro Hub is released I'll be building up a new set. Once it's all said and done I'll have the One propelled via a 28t front and micro 10 rear. I wanna go the UST route this time and something that is readily available, it needs to be pedalable and take hits at the same time

So I'm fishing for suggestions on what this wheelset might look like. Everything from nipple to hoop, throw em at me...

The White Jeff W
    Flow's on Hope Pro II hubs on my Yelli. Had the same set up on my Yeti 575 when I sold it.
    No moss...