Found these options:

SRAM
    https://www.amazon.com/Maxle-Stealth...ds=boost+maxle

Robert Axle Project
    https://robertaxleproject.com/shop/l...x-1-75-thread/

Ibis
    Doesn't look like the hexle comes in the right pitch for boost
    Hexle – Ibis Cycles Online Store
    Last edited by madamfunk; 02-21-2018 at 02:48 PM.

mtbr member
    16 balance is 142x12. That's not boost.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by I_AM View Post
    16 balance is 142x12. That's not boost.
    folks have been running boost Wheels on their Canfield's since there's so much lateral Flex in the chainstay. You can see this discussion in the EPO and balance threads.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I just put my boost wheels in a '17 Balance. The one the Roberts Axle Project site gives is too long. You have to choose Canfield as the manufacturer and then choose the non boost option, this gives a 12x174 with 1.75 thread pitch. there are still a few mm sticking out with this length. the 180 would be way too long. Universal Cycles has them too and you can buy them by size and not have to use the horrible Robert's site.

I dug all this out of the Riot and Balance threads. I don't remember who posted it but I would like to acknowledge that person and if you are reading this, Thank you!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by krylon1892 View Post
    I just put my boost wheels in a '17 Balance. The one the Roberts Axle Project site gives is too long. You have to choose Canfield as the manufacturer and then choose the non boost option, this gives a 12x174 with 1.75 thread pitch. there are still a few mm sticking out with this length. the 180 would be way too long. Universal Cycles has them too and you can buy them by size and not have to use the horrible Robert's site.

I dug all this out of the Riot and Balance threads. I don't remember who posted it but I would like to acknowledge that person and if you are reading this, Thank you!
    Wow I missed this, very helpful! I avoided the Robert brand due to the crazy price, but assumed 180mm was the right length. I bought a sram boost stealth maxle off Amazon for $11 (odd low price) but it's length is advertised as 180 as well. Will see how it fits when it gets here. Too bad Canfield doesn't list the spec of their stock axle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    12x174 with 1.75 pitch works. As mentioned, a couple mm's stick out. Believe it's also 20mm of thread for the Maxle Stealth so no biggie that a few mm is exposed. Better a little too long instead of too short.

mtbr member
    I was told that this one will work: https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...ength-standard but I cannot confirm because the one I ordered two weeks ago seems to have been lost by USPS somewhere in New Mexico.
    On a related note my boost hub sides right in to the dropouts on my Riot while my 142mm hub has lots of wiggle room.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thats funny I'm thinking my Balance will fit the boost rear wheel well. I wonder If I'm going to have to run a drive side spacer on the bottom bracket for my XX1 GXP crank.

mtbr member
    Drive side spacer has no effect on a SRAM crank's chainline. Spacing is accomplished by the offset built into the chainring, but is probably as much about frame clearance as chainline(since it doesn't necessarily make for a better one).
    Axle dimensions are apparently a heavily guarded secret around here

mtbr member
    I did not know. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    A spacer moves the entire crank out, including the chainring attached to the crank. On new boost cranks you are right that the offset comes from the offset/dish on the chainring itself though. And yeah no one seems keen at sharing the stock axle spec

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by madamfunk View Post
    A spacer moves the entire crank out, including the chainring attached to the crank.
    That's not how it works with GXP cranks. By whatever coincidence, there's an old thread that popped up about it in the drivetrain forum, but I'll give you my version, since I have a crank sitting out.
    Remember that GXP uses a 24/22mm spindle, not a 24mm. That 2mm is a step-down that forms a lip on the non-drive side of the spindle.
    Attachment 1179327
    When you tighten the bolt on the NDS, it is pulling that lip against the NDS bearing race/sleeve/whatchamacallit(sorry, nomenclature fail-the freaking silver thing in the pic! ) in the BB.
    It has to be tight against it to disallow side to side play(because there's nothing on the drive side to do that), and that little flat just in front of the lip on the spindle has to be fully inserted so there isn't any vertical play.
    Here's what it looks like with that lip pulled tight into the bearing:
    Attachment 1179329
    And the internal sleeve illustrates that there is no additional room with a 73mm BB shell.
    Attachment 1179330
    The point is that everything is held together on the non-drive side, and the spindle is a fixed length, so if you can't move the NDS bearing in(which you can't with a 73mm BB shell that uses no spacers), then you can't move the drive side out.
    I mean, you can physically put a spacer on the drive side, and try tightening the NDS down, but it's just going to crush the DS crankarm into the bearing cover on the BB, and make it bind.

Well, crap. I don't know why the attachments aren't showing, but I guess you can click on them

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2 View Post
    I was told that this one will work: https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...ength-standard but I cannot confirm because the one I ordered two weeks ago seems to have been lost by USPS somewhere in New Mexico.
    On a related note my boost hub sides right in to the dropouts on my Riot while my 142mm hub has lots of wiggle room.
    This above axle from worldwidecyclery arrived today and fits nicely on my riot with a boost hub. The threads protrude about 2-3 mm past the dropout which is not a big deal.
    Last edited by noosa2; 01-23-2018 at 06:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    If your 174 sticks out I can't wait to see how long my 180 will be

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Can't see the photos even if I clock on mobile, but what you are saying makes sense in that I most likely don't have any slack to put in a spacer unless I want to run a crank that isn't recessed properly and bind the bb. Guess I will have to but a boost absolute black chainring for this 4 year old xx1 crank!

mtbr member
    Glad that made sense, then!
    Just saw a Robert Axle Project ad, and had to laugh. "'Cause you don't want your parts hanging out" it says. But they recommend a 174mm for 12x142 Canfields that sticks out 6 or 7mm?? I bought a Maxle Stealth based on their sizing(guess it should work for a Boost wheel, though).

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    Glad that made sense, then!

Just saw a Robert Axle Project ad, and had to laugh. "'Cause you don't want your parts hanging out" it says. But they recommend a 174mm for 12x142 Canfields that sticks out 6 or 7mm?? I bought a Maxle Stealth based on their sizing(guess it should work for a Boost wheel, though).
    I still don't get their pricing. Is their stuff made in USA vs the Ibis Hexle and SRAM Maxle?

Asre you trying to run a boost wheel in your balance or riot? What did your stock shaft measure to?

mtbr member
    It's a Riot. No Boost, just pulled up their site to check the axle size, 'cause I'd seen it there before. Duh. I could have measured the stock axle, but was at work, and ordered from my phone.
    I don't get their pricing, either. The Maxle Stealth I got is the exact same weight as they advertise for their axle of the same size, and 365 Cycles had it for $22.

mtbr member
    This is what I just ordered. Hopefully it works, it's much cheaper..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mtbr member
    The above maxle from Amazon is what I use with a boost wheelset and it works fine. I did have to slightly adjust my limit screws and reindex my gears, but otherwise no issues.

Edit: My apologies, my instance was in reference to a Riot, I didn't realize this thread was in reference to a Balance.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by chestont; 01-25-2018 at 07:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by chestont View Post
    The above maxle from Amazon is what I use with a boost wheelset and it works fine. I did have to slightly adjust my limit screws and reindex my gears, but otherwise no issues.

Edit: My apologies, my instance was in reference to a Riot, I didn't realize this thread was in reference to a Balance.

Weird the pulleys looked perfectly lined up now, I just messed with the tension. Sins nicely in the stand but then makes a gripping sound when riding around the block. Might also be not enough lube to counter act the gunk on a new chain/cassette combo.

The wheel went in perfectly (new I9 Trail 270s), but check out how much the 180mm sticks out Almost all threads are being used though plus there is that great axle binding bolt.

What axle spec to use Boost rear wheel on 2016 Balance?-28126451_1510374232394314_1979010453_o.jpg

mtbr member
    I've still got the 174mm 12x1.75 if you want one at a discount.
    Turns out the Riot's 12x142 needs a 167mm intended for 12x135, and the only lightweight one I've found is from Carbon-Ti($$). Think I can live without that...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Turns out the Riot's 12x142 needs a 167mm intended for 12x135, and the only lightweight one I've found is from Carbon-Ti($$). Think I can live without that...
    Crap it ended up being a deformed absoluteblack chainring. I ended up destorying the b-tension screw on my RD diagnosing! I ordered a replacement, just hoping i dont have to take the whole RD apart to back whats left of it out (sheared off head).

I'm interested in your axle

mtbr member

I'm running the 174mm I linked above on a Riot 12x142 and works great. Only sticks out about 3mm or so. I'll post a pic later

mtbr member
    I found this awhile back, and screenshotted it:
    What axle spec to use Boost rear wheel on 2016 Balance?-28381485_10214967076993455_1587519721_n.png

I'm interested in your axle
    I'll PM you.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'm about the pull the trigger on a boost wheelset for a new to me Riot that is arriving in a couple of days. Just want to confirm that everyone and their bikes are getting along just fine with these boosted wheels?
    Wheelset is DT so I guess I'll look into the 135 x 12 Maxle mentioned above?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Scratch that last sentence. Seems like the maxle recommend if for a 142 sized DT hub.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronka970 View Post
    I'm about the pull the trigger on a boost wheelset for a new to me Riot that is arriving in a couple of days. Just want to confirm that everyone and their bikes are getting along just fine with these boosted wheels?
    Wheelset is DT so I guess I'll look into the 135 x 12 Maxle mentioned above?
    Thanks!
    No issues so far. It's a little tight when you're trying to slide the wheel into place but once it's in there's no problems.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I use the SRAM maxle 12x142L174TL20M12x1.75 on i9 torch hubs and a tiny bit sticks out.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have a Boost wheelset Id like to try in my Riot.

I have BHS hubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk