Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Uncle

Unofficial Yelli Screamy crank / drivetrain question thread - what's working for you?

Hi all.
    Have owned my YS for about a year now. Great bike, super fun with the short stays. With the short stays comes some design challenges that have resulted in a limited number of crank/chain ring options. Specifically, the drive-side chain stay will work with some cranks and chain rings but not all, especially as some NW rings have thicker and taller tooth profiles.

Information about what will work and what won't seems to be pretty well documented but it's often buried in huge threads not specifically related to this subject, so I thought I'd start one with the hopes of gathering success stories here for other YS riders.

Here's what I can contribute thus far:
    2013(?) YS frame, size L (might matter, don't know). Currently using Shimano XT M770 gen cranks with a single chain ring (1x set up).
    • HBC (RIP) 32t: worked without issue when mounted in the 'middle ring' position, had about 1mm clearance between teeth and CS;
    • Race Face NW 32t: when mounted in the 'middle ring' position, required 1mm spacer between the DS seal and crank;
    • Blackspire Snaggletooth 30t: Due to inboard offset chainline (keeps the chain off of the crank mounting tabs), it also required 1mm spacer between DS seal and crank.

**I used a spare Enduro BB cup seal (orange one) as the spacer. I understand doing this means a bit less purchase for the non-DS crank arm but it's working just fine thus far and moves the two mentioned rings just far enough away from the CS.

Not yet tried: I have an e-thirteen TRSr DM crank with a 32t Guidering (model name of e-thirteen's NW ring option). The chainline listed on these cranks is 49.5mm so I doubt it will fit. I'll likely order a 30t Guidering, and at the same chainline I'm hopeful that it will fit with ample clearance.

Yelli Screamy riders, what is working for you? Post up and help the next guy get it right faster.

PS - Let's keep this thread focused specifically on crank / chainring combos.
    Last edited by Entrenador; 03-10-2015 at 09:19 PM.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just built up my YS about a month ago. 2014 L frame. I'm using Saint cranks (1x10), and replaced the stock ring with a 32T Raceface NW, which did require a 1mm DS spacer. I had a 30t on the 'donor' bike, but that pretty much had the chain resting on the chainstay, so I had to either get rid of the 11t cog or move up to the 32t ring. No guidering - the Zee setup seems to work well without one.

The only issue I've had, is after a couple of rides I found I had dropped a chainring bolt, and 2 of the remaining 3 were loose. I replaced all 4 (gotta have a matching set!) and got some blue loctite for security. That was a Saint issue though, not the YS.

mtbr member
    12' YS size M. Previously ran 1x10 using deore triple crank and raceface 30t without ds spacer. Did not run guide and it shifted great and worked well for a budget build.

Just upgraded to X01 1x11 with SRAM 30t ring and having issues with alignment and clearance. The ring fits with the DS spacer but the alignment is off and it will drop during backpedaling. With spacer removed alignment is good but ring rubs chain stay.

Ordered a north shore billet 28t ring and will install on Friday and post some pics/results.
    Process 111
    Yeti SB66

Uncle
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    12' YS size M. Previously ran 1x10 using deore triple crank and raceface 30t without ds spacer. Did not run guide and it shifted great and worked well for a budget build.
    ATXZJ, was your RF 30t a narrow wide ring?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Entrenador View Post
    ATXZJ, was your RF 30t a narrow wide ring?
    Yep, best $45 ive spent on this bike. Non-clutch derailleur, never dropped a chain.
    Process 111
    Yeti SB66

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Just finished my 2013 frame build a couple months ago. SRAM X9 cranks, Wolftooth 30t chainring, x9 type2 rear mech. No BB spacers and it fits perfect. The clearance is very small, but the chain-ring does not rub or contact the chainstay.
    Follow my MTB blog...
    http://cdmountain.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Last year I used a Shimano Alivio 3x9 Octalink crankset (22/32/44). No problems at all. This year I redid the drivetrain and am running Deore 3X10 Hollowtech (22/30/40). Again, absolutely no problems with installation. Really the only drivetrain issue I had to resolve had to do with tire clearance and the front mech. I squeezed a Continental Trail King 29x2.4 on a Velocity P35 in there. I ended up re-dishing the wheel 5mm to the NDS and using a Shimano XT direct mount FD with the bottom pull lever cut off and the plastic spring cover removed. This season I'll be running a WTB KOM i23 rim and Kenda Slant Six 2.2s with tons of clearance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slowride454 View Post
    I squeezed a Continental Trail King 29x2.4 on a Velocity P35 in there. I ended up re-dishing the wheel 5mm to the NDS and using a Shimano XT direct mount FD with the bottom pull lever cut off and the plastic spring cover removed. This season I'll be running a WTB KOM i23 rim and Kenda Slant Six 2.2s with tons of clearance.
    Good choice

I'm running the exact same 2.4 TK on stans flow wheels and love the large case volume. Im able to get up ledges much easier with a quick bounce then application of power. Yet to bottom out that thing but it is tight and the CS/BB peels stones off during the muddy season. Obviously no front derailleur issues though

On the downside, they are pretty heavy.
    Process 111
    Yeti SB66

mtbr member
    Unofficial Yelli Screamy crank / drivetrain question thread - what's working for you?-img_20141208_195634.jpg
    Old combo: shimano XT rear with deore triple using single race face 30T

Unofficial Yelli Screamy crank / drivetrain question thread - what's working for you?-img_20150316_203853%7E2.jpg

Unofficial Yelli Screamy crank / drivetrain question thread - what's working for you?-img_20150316_203928.jpg

New combo: Sram X01 with north shore billet 28T direct mount.
    This ring allowed me to run without a spacer on the drive side and had the correct chainline. Looks sharp too!

Marcus
    Process 111
    Yeti SB66

Uncle
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150316_203853~2.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	119.1 KB 
ID:	973767
    Looks sharp too!

Marcus
    That's an understatement my friend.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Great idea for a thread. I am currently running SS with shimano xt hollowtech and race face 34 nw. I originally wanted to build this as a 1x10 but could not get what I believed to be an acceptable chainline. I also have a 32 blackspire mono veloce. I now wonder if I should give it a go on the 1x10?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Truvativ/SRAM XX 26/39 2x10, 166 q-factor: GXP bb with both spacers on the drive side. The 39 is VERY close to the chainstay but since the frame is soooo stiff through the bb area I get no interference/rubbing. I would worry about this same crank and the narrower q-factor: your heels would frequently rub the cs.
    2009 Specialized Stumpy Expert. Bike with brains.
    1997 Homegrown Factory 23-24lbs & afraid to ride it. I'm 200.

Uncle
    Quote Originally Posted by fastboy143 View Post
    Truvativ/SRAM XX 26/39 2x10, 166 q-factor: GXP bb with both spacers on the drive side. The 39 is VERY close to the chainstay but since the frame is soooo stiff through the bb area I get no interference/rubbing. I would worry about this same crank and the narrower q-factor: your heels would frequently rub the cs.
    Thanks for posting up. How is the clearance tire-to-FD when on the 26t ring, and how wide is your rear tire? I've read that with the a 3x crank the limit is ~2.2", but probably wider for you with only 2 rings?

mtbr member
    May 2008

Just upgraded to X01 1x11 with SRAM 30t ring and having issues with alignment and clearance. The ring fits with the DS spacer but the alignment is off and it will drop during backpedaling. With spacer removed alignment is good but ring rubs chain stay.

Ordered a north shore billet 28t ring and will install on Friday and post some pics/results.
    I am trying to use a raceface 30T with triple SLX, installed in middle position, and already have one DS spacer. Won't even turn when installed.
    How did you get by without any? Did you install on the outside?
    2013 Canfield Yelli

my body breaks the falls
    On my XL I've never tried a FD. I run Trvativ Noir cranks, standard SRAM bottom bracket, Race Face 32 NW in the middle ring position and it all works fine. Mid cage X.9 RD.
    Prior to the NW I did drop the chain a couple times and it got nicely wedged between the ring and the chain stay. One time I had to pry it out.
    I also have a "bailout" in that I put a 24 tooth inner ring in case 32x40 ever becomes a struggle. Of course it would be a manual effort to drop the chain down, but if I am in need of that gearing I'm probably stopped anyway
    $500 million for more irresponsible EBRPD land management? No thanks.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Entrenador View Post
    Thanks for posting up. How is the clearance tire-to-FD when on the 26t ring, and how wide is your rear tire? I've read that with the a 3x crank the limit is ~2.2", but probably wider for you with only 2 rings?
    Don't know if this helps. But I run SLX triple with one drive side spacer per instructions. With Ardent 2.4 on Arch EX there was minumum rub when riding. The same Ardent 2.4 on Blunt 35 and it won't budge without series effort, in the stand...
    2013 Canfield Yelli

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I have SLX double M660 crankset with a Race Face Narrow Wide 30t.

I was running two BB spacers on the drive side which resulted in a chainline that was not optimal, so I ended up filing the drive side chainstay about a millimeter so I could run it with a single drive side bb spacer.

I could not come up with an alternate solution but I am happy with the chainline now.

I also tried a Race Face 32t narrow wide and it also would not fit without 2 spacers on the drive side.

I'm sure this voids the warrantee and a man smarter than I would have better ideas.

Canfield Brothers
    The Yelli was designed around a 3X crank with 50mm spacing. This was pre-narrow wide. We tested with a SLX and a X9 crank. Other cranks like XX1 and XTR have a narrower chainline so it will be harder with cranks tighter than 50mm. 2x and NW rings are both tighter so they need some special spacing. We have had good luck with using a combination of BB spacers and spindle spacers.
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I've been using sram gxp narrow wide direct mount rings. First tried a 32t wolftooth but couldn't get it fit (described somewhere on this forum 2 years ago), so generally been on 30t, Wolftooth, and now Works Components. The pic is their 28t, fitted for Machynlleth Dyfi Enduro (lots of climbing). Works Cpts seem to have chainline a couple of mm further out than Wolftooth so will try 32t for summer.
    BB is Hope (because I live in the UK and don't like buying new bearings every few months) with Chris King GXP adapter.
    Shimano XT 1x10 with 40t from chain reaction cycles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Unofficial Yelli Screamy crank / drivetrain question thread - what's working for you?-dsc_0285.jpg  

Uncle
    Quote Originally Posted by arclarke View Post
    Works Cpts seem to have chainline a couple of mm further out than Wolftooth...
    Thanks for posting this info. Does the chainline work okay on the largest rear cog, and what is your largest tooth count out back?
    Will contact WC for clarification about the chain line. Could be of special interest to other YS riders for sure.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I've just ordered the WC 32t, will let you know - I have a suspicion they've changed the chain line since their first ones. With the 28t I moved the BB spacer to the LHS and have good chainline - will need to go back in for 32t.
    Largest cog is 40t Absolute Black - works fine, with OneUp jockey cage on the mech - better than Hope 40t which dropped the chain when backpedalling (and wore out faster than I liked).

mtbr member
    XL frame, M660 cranks with a raceface 32t n/w mounted in the middle position.
    Chris King BB and 2.5/.8mm combo of spacers on the drive side. Works well as a 1x10 setup with a zee rear derailleur and xt 11-36 cassette.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    32t from Works Components - just fits, 1mm clearance - which is a good 1.5mm more than the Wolftooth
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Unofficial Yelli Screamy crank / drivetrain question thread - what's working for you?-dsc_0483.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    by moving the crank further outboard towards the right either by adding bb spacers and/or spindle spacers, aren't you running the risk of the NDS suddenly being thrown off?

afaik the YS is designed to have 1x2.5 bb spacer given a 73mm bsa bb shell.

i myself am running an slx 2x crank with rf nw 30t with 1x2.5 bb spacer... can't go beyond 30t nw given this setup.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by racerjerm View Post
    I am trying to use a raceface 30T with triple SLX, installed in middle position, and already have one DS spacer. Won't even turn when installed.
    How did you get by without any? Did you install on the outside?
    That's bizarre. I have the race face nw 30 on xt 770 cranks with one spacer and its fine. A 32 will also work for me but it has to have standard teeth.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast