DLW
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Took the plunge and bought a 'One" frame

This is my first serious MTB and look forward to the build up. Don't have it all ironed out yet but will start on the parts side of the build shortly. I went with the Medium frame and from what I read it should work out fine with me being 5'10" and 32" inseam. Seems I got the last frame for any size since the web site now says "out of stock" ..

I swear I have been looking for months for the perfect frame and all my reading led me to this bike and all the praise it receives. Really wish I could have ridden it but just wasn't feasible. I'll post pics when I get it built..

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by DLW View Post
    This is my first serious MTB and look forward to the build up. Don't have it all ironed out yet but will start on the parts side of the build shortly. I went with the Medium frame and from what I read it should work out fine with me being 5'10" and 32" inseam. Seems I got the last frame for any size since the web site now says "out of stock" ..

I swear I have been looking for months for the perfect frame and all my reading led me to this bike and all the praise it receives. Really wish I could have ridden it but just wasn't feasible. I'll post pics when I get it built..
    DLW - CONGRATS!!! Shoot us an email with your rider weight so we can set up your CCDB Coil for you!

Cheers,

Vin

DLW
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Will do Vin, thanks. Wasn't sure what email to send it to so I sent the email to you.

Dan

perpetual pucker factor
    you're going to love it! It's almost a pity you haven't been the owner of other brands' "most awesomest do-everything bikes." *cough speshyenduro*cough. That way you could see exactly how much better the One performs than its competition. Every company says they've got a bike that can do it all. And all of them end up being nothing more than a beefy AM bike. The One can actually do it all. Trails to full DH. I love mine more than any other material possession I have.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    +1, just did a demo on a Pivot Mach 6 thinking a little lighter 650b would be a lot better for ups and downs. All the reviews were totally positive, everyone raved about it, took it for a spin and laughed. Didn't laugh because I was having a great time on the Mach but because the One was a way better bike. Sure it weighs maybe 4lbs more but it pedaled every bit as good as the famous DW Link with half the suspension. Fun, stability, handling, the One blew it away! I run a 650b front with a fox 36 Talus 180, drop it to 140 when climbing and it does an awesome job with just enough ground clearance. At the top, flip the switch and bomb down. I've had some pretty awesome bikes and nothing put a smile on my face like the One does.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Serious confusion now! I had it narrowed down to 4 potential trail bikes....
    New Canfield 650B, Mach 6, Knolly Warden and Giant Trance SX. I'm pulling for the new Canfield frame but carbon kinda has my pants on fire right now. I've always liked The Bros bikes and really enjoyed my CanDiggle and have actually been waiting for a trail bike from them.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I own a 2011 Enduro, (great bike)... AND a 2012 the One. Versatility wise the One is the champ. Ran the One with a 180 fox upfront dropped to 170 for all around riding then this past season put a fox 40 on it for DH. For me the One platform opened my riding up. Amazing that it can bridge like that.

My DH experience started late but WHAT a blast this bike has been. Opened doors for me. That being said, my background is XC and AM for a lot of years. The One just billy goats over rocky climbs and descends with crazy flow. The 650b sounds like a great trail bike also.

"Its not about the bike"
    But sometimes it is about the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by SavageOne View Post
    Serious confusion now! I had it narrowed down to 4 potential trail bikes....
    New Canfield 650B, Mach 6, Knolly Warden and Giant Trance SX. I'm pulling for the new Canfield frame but carbon kinda has my pants on fire right now. I've always liked The Bros bikes and really enjoyed my CanDiggle and have actually been waiting for a trail bike from them.
    I got more bikes than skills, son!

perpetual pucker factor
    Quote Originally Posted by fauxfreeride View Post
    "Its not about the bike"
    But sometimes it is about the bike.
    haha! I completely agree!

Your bike sucks
    I love reading all this stoke. I too just got a "One" (L) and piecing my build together as we speak. Very interesting hearing someone running mixed wheel sizes. I'm starting out with a 26'' Lyric at 170mm but have been know to experiment and could totally see crunching the geo numbers and eventually trying a 27.5/26 or a beefy 29/26 for giggles.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Great!
    I'm looking for a Canfield One frame too... used, to save some bucks, or I'll wait for the new 650b Canfield.
    If it will be a One I'd build it with a new Metric fork and a 650b front wheel.

DLW
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Here is a couple pics. Need lots of parts still. going 2x10 I guess and been flopping between Shimano and SRAM but need to decide soon. Learning a lot doing it all myself but it's giving me a headache figuring all the parts out. Big thanks to Vin for spending a lot of time over the weekend helping me out. Went with the Marz 55 RC3 EVO Ti 170mm forks, big price saving there doing the frame, wheels, pedals and forks from Canfield.

mtbr member
    That frame + that shock + that fork = Killer combo
    Old enough to know better, too old to give a F$cK

Your bike sucks
    Totally bogarting this thread to selfishly keep it alive. I'm done with my build minus a rear wheel. Running XX1 so needs to take the XD driver. I have a Haven Carbon 20mm front on a 170mm Lyric. Looking for a decent matchto that: I'd take the R. Haven mate @ a good price otherwise, I'd like a quick engaging freehub. Whachayallthink?

I9/Flow, Sram Rail 50, Hadley/Flow, Hope Evo 2/Flow, Roval, Mavic....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega View Post
    Totally bogarting this thread to selfishly keep it alive. I'm done with my build minus a rear wheel. Running XX1 so needs to take the XD driver. I have a Haven Carbon 20mm front on a 170mm Lyric. Looking for a decent matchto that: I'd take the R. Haven mate @ a good price otherwise, I'd like a quick engaging freehub. Whachayallthink?

I9/Flow, Sram Rail 50, Hadley/Flow, Hope Evo 2/Flow, Roval, Mavic....
    Hope/Mavic 521. The rim is tough, though a little heavy compared to Flows. The 521 is great for non ust applications, for (in my experience) wide range of tires.
    Old enough to know better, too old to give a F$cK

Your bike sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcrs View Post
    Hope/Mavic 521. The rim is tough, though a little heavy compared to Flows. The 521 is great for non ust applications, for (in my experience) wide range of tires.
    Thanks. You actually got me digging and now I've made my decision. 821 is UST and light with good matching dims to the Haven. Doing a Hadley hub. Woot! Only problem is the hub will be on back order but I'm excited about doing that wheel build. Should be pimp. I'll start my own thread on my bike build (thanks for letting me tag along here).

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega View Post
    Thanks. You actually got me digging and now I've made my decision. 821 is UST and light with good matching dims to the Haven. Doing a Hadley hub. Woot! Only problem is the hub will be on back order but I'm excited about doing that wheel build. Should be pimp. I'll start my own thread on my bike build (thanks for letting me tag along here).
    Hey you may want to have a good think about getting the industry nine hubs. I've ran hope hubs before and the I9 is the best i've ridden. I really do feel that the engagement is extremely quick. This makes a big difference on the climbs where I feel I always have traction rather than a build up of torque that then causes loss of traction when it engages. It's like pedalling butter...so smooth.

Your bike sucks
    Thanks Tom. Nothings done yet. Hadley is still on back order. so the build just sits, and sits, and sits. I'd like to score a hub sold w/ the XD driver so I don't tack an extra $100+ onto an already expensive purchase. Further, at some point, I think I'd like to get the matching Haven Carbon rear wheel but wonder if I'll be spoiled by the better hub engagement on my "right now" rear wheel build. For those who are wondering, that 821 rim looks quite nice!

DLW
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    For what it's worth, I'm having some wheels built using the DT Swiss FR600 rims and Hadley hubs including their XX1 free hub. I think the Hadley or I9 with Flows would be nice too. I went back and forth on the I9 and Hadley but chose Hadley. Hopefully have them 3rd week of January to finish this build off.

perpetual pucker factor
    I very much dig the FR600 rim choice. They have been a very good for my One. They aren't feathery light, but they aren't lead weights either. And they don't bend. Not one bit.

DLW
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks for chiming in rhin, makes me feel better about my choice as I don't see them all over the place .