mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Thoughts on rigid forks for Nimble 9?

Hey guys!

After lusting for a Canfield for a couple years, I've decided to go ahead and get started on a singlespeed, rigid Nimble-9 build. My current mountain bike is a Giant Talon 29er, but I find myself riding my cyclocross more and more, just because rigid is a more fun challenge.

My go-to trail is a relatively smooth, fast and flowy cross-country style ride, but there are other more technical, rootier/loamier unkempt trails around that I plan on hitting up and I think the N9 (and myself) will be more up to the task.

My question is, for all of you riding rigid forks on a Nimble, what works best for you?

I'll be riding tubeless 2.3" Specialized purgatory up front and Renegade rear on a custom wheelset, probably Novatec hubs with Stans Crest or Pacenti TL28 rims.

Easton Haven 711mm low-rise alloy bars. Haven't decided stem length/brand/line-up. The Chromag Ranger looks sick, but I dunno if it's overkill and I can get away with a lighter XC stem, like a Loaded xlite Ti. I'm 5'9" and the medium frame with 70mm seems to be the rule of thumb.

mtbr member
    I'm using a 490mm axle to crown White Brothers Rock Solid on my Gen1 N9.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Cool. What size axle are you rolling with? Ant particular reason you went with the Rock Solid?

mtbr member
    1st Gen Nimble 9....

I started with a Niner CF fork (470mm), and as a fork its fantastic. However, with the N9, I felt it was too short, lots of pedal strikes, and it didn't really jive with the frame geometry. I'm now on a Surly Krampus fork (483mm), and its basically perfect, handling and geometry wise. The extra length really works better with the slacker N9, and the fact you can fit huge rubber (I'm running a Dissent 2.5 with acres of room, obviouslys a 29x3 will fit...) really helps traction and ride quality. Its heavy, but still lighter than any suspension fork!

Best pic I could come up with:

mtbr member

I ordered a Chinese carbon rigid fork last week. (480mm a2c) iirc. I'll post back up after I try it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1035 View Post
    1st Gen Nimble 9....

I started with a Niner CF fork (470mm), and as a fork its fantastic. However, with the N9, I felt it was too short, lots of pedal strikes, and it didn't really jive with the frame geometry. I'm now on a Surly Krampus fork (483mm), and its basically perfect, handling and geometry wise. The extra length really works better with the slacker N9, and the fact you can fit huge rubber (I'm running a Dissent 2.5 with acres of room, obviouslys a 29x3 will fit...) really helps traction and ride quality. Its heavy, but still lighter than any suspension fork!
    Good to know. Usually Surly forks are easier to find under $100 locally and on pink bike, but one of my LBS guys has nothing good to say for steel rigid forks. "Full carbon or go with suspension" is what he said. Thanks for the picture. Love your stealth build with red spokes!

Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    I ordered a Chinese carbon rigid fork last week. (480mm a2c) iirc. I'll post back up after I try it out

Yeah, I saw the flyxii fork with 490 a2c length, 15mm dropouts and ~550g weight. Scary low price. Let us know how it turns out!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chemical_brother View Post
    Cool. What size axle are you rolling with? Ant particular reason you went with the Rock Solid?
    I originally had a Salsa fork with a 468mm axle to crown and really didn't like how the bike rode with this fork. I was searching for a longer fork and my LBS ended up offering me a great deal that I couldn't pass up on the 490mm White Brothers fork. The axle is a 9mm quick release.

I like the way the bike rides with a rigid fork, but IMO, the N9 begs for a suspension fork. When pointed down hill, it likes to go fast, and I just can't keep up with it on rough trails. I'm probably going to swap out the rigid fork for something with suspension. On buff or really slow techy trails, it's a blast.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I love my Whisky No. 9 fork on my Nimble (v2).... It has a 480mm A-C and feels perfect for me...

mtbr member

Just got it in today. Here are pics to show clearance.

Professional Crastinator
    Thoughts on rigid forks for Nimble 9?-n9front.jpg

VooDoo Zombie 500

500mm of steel heaviness, but I really like the ride. Someday I might upgrade to the WB 490, but for now it is doing a good job. I have hit stuff hard enough to break a spoke nipple on one occasion and pinch flat the front tire on another. It is tough and precise, but not overly stiff.
    The geo is as slack as I would want it, with good BB height for technical rocks. I think it is equal to a 120mm susp. fork in length.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I've got a Carver Trail 490 that I use on my G2 N9, I like it a lot. Tapered, tall and 15mm TA, those were my criteria.
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning." 2drsrbtrrthn4

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Looks great! Which vendor did you get it from? Mind measuring the BB height when you get it off the stand?

mtbr member

Looks great! Which vendor did you get it from? Mind measuring the BB height when you get it off the stand?
    I got it from ican. They got it to me in 4 business days. I was impressed. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=131239487800

When it comes off the stand I'll get a measurement and report back.

mtbr member

Center of BB is 12inches

mtbr member

Here it is ready for the 142 adapter cups on the wheels.