mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Thomson seat post slipping [YS]

I'm running a Thomson seatpost in a 2012 YS frame with 34.9mm Woodman clamp. The post is slipping. I've tried cranking on it and only succeeded in stripping the tool. I've also tried a Loaded QR clamp with the same problem.

Is anyone else running a Thomson post in a YS? Any issues?
    Idaho

mtbr member
    Try some carbon friction paste?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I already tried silica friction paste .
    Idaho

mtbr member
    Shim it with a soda can shim??!

human dehumidifier
    I've got a slippy Thomson (actually any post) in my WTB, and from experience I can say if you don't fix it, you'll eventually wear a nice flat spot on the post and it'll never clamp right.
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

mtbr member
    Call Thomson. A friend and forum member here had a similar problem - he had tried everything. He mentioned it to Thomson at NAHBS in Denver, and they replaced it - problem solved. Must have been a mfg issue with a particular run of posts or something...

all day long
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Shim it with a soda can shim??!
    This works. I've got a 2011 One w/ 31.6 seatpost, but I wanted to use my 30.9 Reverb ( didn't want to spend the money for another Reverb). I p/u a 30.9 to 31.6 shim, but it didn't work. I ended up using a soda can to shim it and that did the job. Bunch of rides and no problems.
    Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DickemDown View Post
    This works. I've got a 2011 One w/ 31.6 seatpost, but I wanted to use my 30.9 Reverb ( didn't want to spend the money for another Reverb). I p/u a 30.9 to 31.6 shim, but it didn't work. I ended up using a soda can to shim it and that did the job. Bunch of rides and no problems.
    or,...just call Thomson and get the problem solved. not a tough choice in my book. unless the OP is using the wrong size post, or has a pooched seat tube, he can make this go away properly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I've read online that Thomson posts are undersized. By how much I don't know. I've used them on other frames without issues. I swapped for this particular seat post, so I doubt Thomson would help me out. I'll contact them and see what they say.
    Idaho

all day long
    Quote Originally Posted by JChasse View Post
    or,...just call Thomson and get the problem solved. not a tough choice in my book. unless the OP is using the wrong size post, or has a pooched seat tube, he can make this go away properly.
    Right. You've already mentioned that. I'm merely validating eurospek's suggestion.
    Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DickemDown View Post
    Right. You've already mentioned that. I'm merely validating eurospek's suggestion.
    Right. And I'm merely pointing out that while a beer can bandaid MAY work, there's probably a way to actually fix the problem at little or no cost. And if it's the right size post, with a mfg tolerance issue, there's no way he's getting a shim in there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Calipers indicate 30.9mm diameter. I replaced the stainless bolt on the clamp with a regular old carbon steel bolt I found in my parts bin. It tightened up. We'll see how it goes on the next ride.
    Idaho

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Use Tacx carbon paste, not Finish Line. Grease the bolt threads. Tighten to torque specs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrungLam View Post
    Use Tacx carbon paste, not Finish Line. Grease the bolt threads. Tighten to torque specs
    What's so different about it from the Finish Line? I've used the latter when I installed my Reverb since they recommended a light coating of carbon slip paste along with a light tightening of the seat clamp, but with this combo it was nothing but creaks non stop for me on the Honzo. Too much pressure of the clamp and it creaked, not enough pressure it creaked AND slipped. Coated lightly with Red Devil grease, tightened my Chromag QR clamp quite well, and it's been quiet ever since. Along with the Reverb working smoothly as well, since it could bind with a tight clamp.

AOK
    mtbr member
    OP - did you ever find a solution? I have tried three different posts on my Yelli and they all slip. Same three posts have no slip issues on other frames, so I am concluding that my Yelli's seat tube is oversized.

mtbr member
    what's the fitment like when you have the clamp opened/loosened? If the post drops into the frame, something is either too big or too small. I had an issue with a steel frame this year that did this, I can shimmed it for a band-aid solution - it was the frame, not the post (not all boutique builders are created equal). Carbon paste always on the seat post. Finish Line is FINE. Tacx is better but I've never had an issue with the Finish Line version.
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Salsa lip lock + carbon paste = never slip again
    neg rep for contributing to thread deterioration and posting useless comment. - wadafuq.

www.fattiremassive.com