mtbr member

Some questions for all you One owners

Hi all, I'll be ordering a 2012 One in a month or so and I had a few ?'s for all of you...I want this to be my all around bike (AM to light DH), so I'm definitely going the two wheelsets, 2 different forks route (a dual crown for DH and a fox TALAS 180 for AM/FR)...what I'm not sure about is getting two different shocks...shorter shock is 6.5-7.5 and longer one is 7-8 inches of travel (was thinking a CCDB for the longer and some kind of air shock for the shorter.)...for AM would it really be worth it to get a whole other shock for .5 inches, ie, would .5 inches make it pedal that much better? Thank you!

mtbr member
    I use my One for the same, albeit a 2011. Looks like 2012 has a higher BB, so perhaps if you want to lower it then the shorter shock would help.

For mine, I'm using both an air and coil shock, both the same length/stroke for the 7"/8" modes. To be honest, I can't tell any difference in pedaling, just the suspension seems to get more progressive in 7" mode. So even if you did have both shocks you mentioned, I think you'd be splitting hairs to find any difference (pedaling-wise).

I'm sure the more technical guys could chime in and argue more convincingly either way. But as far as I am concerned, it pedals so well in 8" mode, it's not really like any other frame that you'd "think" this much travel wouldn't pedal well. I leave mine in 8" mode nowadays (with a 66 RC3 up front) and have no issues pedaling or doing climbs.

mtbr member
    I am using the Rock Shox Vivid Air on mine..... best of both worlds----downhill ready but light and supple for trail riding. That way I only have to move the rear position to go from 7" to 8" mode. Also running a Marz 66 RC3 Ti coil for my everyday riding and light downhill use. You will not regret your future purchase.... It seems everywhere I went in Moab to Colorado there was nothing but good comments on the Canfield brothers and their bikes...
    Trying to painfully relive some of youthful adventures!!

mtbr member
    thank you!

mtbr member
    I like the looks of the 2012's numbers, particularly the BB height and the HA. Running the shorter shock for AM and the longer shock for DH would span the gap between the two possible builds, that is if you don't mind a lower BB for AM riding. If I'm not mistaken the shorter shock would drop the BB by .5".

So with a 160mm fork with an external cup and a shorter shock would put the frame within the 66* HA and 13.5 BB realm. If your gonna run a the shorter shock and the Talas, when you drop the fork the BB will probably also drop, something to think about.
    Old enough to know better, too old to give a F$cK

mtbr member
    I have a 2011 One with a CCDB coil at 2.5 (6.5inch mode) and a Fox 180 36 single crown. 35.5 lbs, rips the downhill as it sits and climbs pretty good too. Oh yeah, I have a CC Angleset as well with the top cup being offset at 1.5 degrees. Changed the HA but kept the length. I still bang my pedals each ride at times but well worth the stability.