mtbr member
    May 2011

so my jedi 2012 is being built now, shock setting advice?

it has a 2012 fox dhx rc4

I bought the 550 lbs spring for it, shock came with 450 lbs so i have that could too

frame size large, my weight with gear is probably approaching 220lbs

I am totally unfamiliar with this shock

anyone got same shock on theirs and have any advice?

I read some reviews that said the jedi wants to throw you over the bars with a big nose dive on large jumps (over 20 foot) as the rear really kicks up on takeoff
    is this really true?

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonjm View Post
    it has a 2012 fox dhx rc4

I bought the 550 lbs spring for it, shock came with 450 lbs so i have that could too

frame size large, my weight with gear is probably approaching 220lbs

I am totally unfamiliar with this shock

anyone got same shock on theirs and have any advice?

I read some reviews that said the jedi wants to throw you over the bars with a big nose dive on large jumps (over 20 foot) as the rear really kicks up on takeoff
    is this really true?
    The RC4 is a pretty heavily damped shock, so we would recommend trying a 500lb spring at 220lbs. We also have had very good results when setting the RC4's Boostvalve pretty low at 90 psi. Start off by keeping your LSC and HSC settings pretty low and set rebound to preference. That should be a great starting point for you.

As far as the Jedi, "bucking" you on jumps... I have heard this a few times from riders on old Roco's as there really wasn't much rebound control on that shock. I CAN tell you first hand that the Jedi jumps SUPER well, once you are dialed in on it's suspension. I rode this suspension platform for 6 years before coming on board and REALLY LOVE how it feels.

Good luck with the set up and hit us up if you have any other questions!

Vin

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ah hmmm since I only have a 450 or a 550 lbs coil, which should I rather go with? im actually closer to 210 lbs now that I weight myself with new gear on

everything else pretty standard? set rc4 to 30% sag on flat ground? fork to 20%?
    Also read that on suspension such as jedi I would want to turn bottom out control completely off on rc4?

I was skeptical the bike "bucks", I have a canfield one and if anything I have to push the nose down in mid air

Canfield Brothers
    ah hmmm since I only have a 450 or a 550 lbs coil, which should I rather go with? im actually closer to 210 lbs now that I weight myself with new gear on

everything else pretty standard? set rc4 to 30% sag on flat ground? fork to 20%?
    Also read that on suspension such as jedi I would want to turn bottom out control completely off on rc4?

I was skeptical the bike "bucks", I have a canfield one and if anything I have to push the nose down in mid air
    Seeing as how you own a 450, try running that, the 550 on an RC4 sounds like it'll be a bit much. If you are sagging in too far, you'll need the 500.

As far as bottom out, just like LSC and HSC, there won't be much needed.
    Last edited by KillingtonVT; 12-12-2012 at 06:25 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    450 was more than enough of a spring

jedi built, weighs in at 40.75 lbs

just went for my first ride, almost identical components to what I had on my canfield one, except for the fox dhx vs the cane creek

I rode cautiously being on a new frame and shock,

Even then I posted my 2nd best strava times on two downhill sections (out of 20+ timed runs). the faster times I had I was riding the one near to crashing, this run I had a LOT left in reserve, as i was riding cautiously.

Biggest difference downhill from Jedi to canfield one is the jedi has way way better cornering. not sure why or how, but I could feel it immediately. I also felt the balance of jedi on jumps was good.

the ride was more bumpy than the one, but that could be because I had lsc, and hsc basically off on the shock. Also I might have been going faster than I thought through those sections (by strava times)

uphill, the jedi is pretty much very difficult to pedal, but I still managed to ride up 1100 foot vertical, pushed about 400 foot.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    jedi
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails so my jedi 2012 is being built now, shock setting advice?-jedi_resize.jpg  

Canfield Brothers
    the ride was more bumpy than the one, but that could be because I had lsc, and hsc basically off on the shock. Also I might have been going faster than I thought through those sections (by strava times).
    Perfect, now you know how your shock feels with fully open damping, start to add a little compression to get it dailed in. (it's really easy to over do it with an RC4).

Bike looks GREAT by the way!!! Congrats!