mtbr member

So I just have to ask, any news on the 2013 The One

The title speaks for itself, but I'll ask again.

Any news on the 2013 The One?

ride more
    Mar 2007
    also interested...

mtbr member
    Since Chris is leaving for Taiwan, will he be over seeing any small changes to The One for 2013?

7MGTE
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcrs View Post
    Since Chris is leaving for Taiwan, will he be over seeing any small changes to The One for 2013?
    I would think all the 2012s need to be sold before that info can be released. Not sure of any myself I am happy with the 2012. I will be getting one in small in the coming months.

Again not sure of any changes but... What would you like to see?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by supramk388 View Post
    I would think all the 2012s need to be sold before that info can be released. Not sure of any myself I am happy with the 2012. I will be getting one in small in the coming months.

Personally I think the 2012 has come pretty close to nailing it. Buuutt, for those who want to run the The One as an AM bike solely, and having to run a 545mm fork and a 216mm (to get 6.5" of travel & 66d hta) shock the BB is dropped too low for most AM riders comfort.

The option I'd like to see made available with the The One is a dropout or something which would give riders the option to adjust the HTA in two degree increments from 65 to 66 & 67(in both directions, killer for dh applications!) and to be able to use a 216mm shock, 545-555mm fork and the 16mm lower stack without effecting the current BB height.

And if at all possible, if you guys could drop a lb of frame weight that would be the icing on the cake!

mtbr member
    hey crs, i think 6.5 travel can be done also with a dhx air or a ccdb-air [8.75x2.5]
    so this can help with HTA

im currently looking to replace my ccdb-a with a DHX5 air with avy revalve.
    14' Canfield Jedi - The fast just got faster!
    15' Canfield Balance - The go to guy of the bike world!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by katsooba View Post
    hey crs, i think 6.5 travel can be done also with a dhx air or a ccdb-air [8.75x2.5]
    so this can help with HTA

im currently looking to replace my ccdb-a with a DHX5 air with avy revalve.
    Since July I've been running an Avy DHX air @ 8.75 x 2.5. Excellent performance.

I mentioned the 222mm shock because Canfield Brothers market it as an option.

7MGTE

thanks for the info.

Personally I think the 2012 has come pretty close to nailing it. Buuutt, for those who want to run the The One as an AM bike solely, and having to run a 545mm fork and a 216mm (to get 6.5" of travel & 66d hta) shock the BB is dropped too low for most AM riders comfort.

The option I'd like to see made available with the The One is a dropout or something which would give riders the option to adjust the HTA in two degree increments from 65 to 66 & 67(in both directions, killer for dh applications!) and to be able to use a 216mm shock, 545-555mm fork and the 16mm lower stack without effecting the current BB height.

And if at all possible, if you guys could drop a lb of frame weight that would be the icing on the cake!
    Question 4 you. If the bike climbs fine with a 8.75 X 2.75 shock in 7/8 inch mode why would I need a smaller rear shock?

I plan on running my 7 in rear and 7 inch fork. I think I can get bike to 30-32 lbs complete build (lets hope). I fig with a 28 front CR and 9/36 rear cassette I should be fine for any xc/am needs. I was thinking if I wanted to go 66 Geo just pop in a CC Angle set and at most 66.5 Geo. BB should be 14 inches and to me that seems great for an AM bike.
    Last edited by supramk388; 11-05-2012 at 01:27 PM. Reason: added bb info

mtbr member
    i pedal around with my ONE on 8" mode cause the 7" is just way too low to pedal anywhere with a 160mm fork, i hit everything.

but on 8" its cool but wouldnt hurt another 1\2 in of bb height
    im also using a 170mm crank arms, so i just got everything wrong on this one, but cant be happier!

this is just pure fun!
    14' Canfield Jedi - The fast just got faster!
    15' Canfield Balance - The go to guy of the bike world!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by supramk388
    I've already relayed these to Sean, but:

1) Upper head tube pinch bolt (for ease of swapping out anglesets).
    2) Integrated frame bumpers (for dual crown forks).
    3) No pinch bolt on rear axle for easier maxle use.

I think they should keep the default geometry as is!! It's perfect. HOWEVER, if Lance could design a chip system into the upper link so that you could adjust head/bottom bracket height via shock position on the link, that would be a killer addition for those that want to use the frame for everything AM to DH.

mtbr member
    Question 4 you. If the bike climbs fine with a 8.75 X 2.75 shock in 7/8 inch mode why would I need a smaller rear shock?

I plan on running my 7 in rear and 7 inch fork. I think I can get bike to 30-32 lbs complete build (lets hope). I fig with a 28 front CR and 9/36 rear cassette I should be fine for any xc/am needs. I was thinking if I wanted to go 66 Geo just pop in a CC Angle set and at most 66.5 Geo. BB should be 14 inches and to me that seems great for an AM bike.
    To answer your question with a question, why would I need 7- 8" for AM riding?

The One is marketed as "Designed to be the “ONE” bike for the Aggressive rider. 6.5″ front and rear for the All Mountain rider. 7″ front and rear for the perfect do all Freeride. 8″ front and rear setting for the best pedaling and cornering Light Downhill race machine on the market".

The above quote is what got me on board The One in the first place. Aggreissive all mountain rider" best describes what I ride/do 95% of the time. I think having an extra geo adjustment option to accommodate the AM/Enduro crowd would be an attractive addition to an already, near perfect frame.

7MGTE

for info only

To answer your question with a question, why would I need 7- 8" for AM riding?
    You don't but it is more fun on the way down the mtn so why not. Also I could show you a Yeti thread I posted back in the day on my race xc hard tail. The yeti had an 11 inch bb but I did fine on 170 mm cranks. I did not email yeti bb was to low, no I just road the wheels off that bike till the frame cracked in Moab. What I found is it made me a better rider down the road I just did not realize it then.

My point was that if so many say the bike climbs fine in 7 inch mode why not go with it? Its not that it is needed? Also if you do not believe me call Chris, Lance , Sean or Vin. The 2011 was designed around a 180 or 200 mm fork, yes you can use other forks but keeping mind BB may lower some. Again I am confused if the bike climbs fine in 7 inch mode why not go with it?

Also I nail 15-25 foot drops on occasion on my AM rigs so I would prefer doing that on a 7 inch bike and not the 6 inch, you follow?

One is marketed as "Designed to be the “ONE” bike for the Aggressive rider. 6.5″ front and rear for the All Mountain rider. 7″ front and rear for the perfect do all Freeride. 8″ front and rear setting for the best pedaling and cornering Light Downhill race machine on the market".
    Double check Geo charts on 2011 and 2012 and let me know what you find. Last time I checked no 160 or 170 mm #s. That may change down the road but again originally the bike was designed with a bigger fork in mind than a 160 mm.

The above quote is what got me on board The One in the first place. Aggreissive all mountain rider" best describes what I ride/do 95% of the time. I think having an extra geo adjustment option to accommodate the AM/Enduro crowd would be an attractive addition to an already, near perfect frame.
    Glad you are on a One but...

You can still do all that in 7 inch mode with a 180 mm fork. You bb with be a magical 14 inches, problem solved.
    Last edited by supramk388; 11-06-2012 at 06:16 PM. Reason: typos and such

mtbr member
    I don't but it is more fun on the way down the mtn. Also I could show you a Yeti thread I posted back in the day on my race xc hard tail. I nailed more things on that bike that others with there so called 6inch AM bikes stood around and watched. The yeti also had an 11 inch bb but I did fine on 170 mm cranks. Did not email yeti bb was to low, no I just road the wheels off that bike till the frame cracked in Moab. Let me know if you want the link.

My point was that if so many say the bike climbs fine in 7 inch mode why not go with it? Its not that it is needed? Also if you do not believe me call Chris, Lance , Sean or Vin. The 2011 was designed around a 180 or 200 mm fork, yes you can use other forks but keeping mind BB may lower some. Again I am confused if the bike climbs fine in 7 inch mode why not go with it?

Also I nail 15-25 foot drops on occasion on my AM rigs so I would prefer doing that on a 7 inch bike and not the 6 inch, you follow?

Double check Geo charts on 2011 and 2012 and let me know what you find. Last time I checked no 160 or 170 mm #s. That may change down the road but again originally the bike was designed with a bigger fork in mind than a 160 mm.
    No need for me to call, after running the 7/8" configuration for twelve months I'm a believer and preacher! I just really enjoy the way the frame performs with custom tuned 2.5" shock. Also, if I could nail 15-25 foot drops I'd need every available inch

Very true regarding both geo charts, but here's a quote from the 2011 thread.

"It's a great way to run this bike. A 160 on the front will drop the HA to 65.6 degrees. You can get a as steep as 67 degree HA with a CC Angle set. I'm planning to build mine with a Fox 180 talas so I can drop to 140mm climbing and have a 66 HA, but I'll get a Angleset too so I can play with it a bit. A 36 160mm Talas would be a good way to build it if your not using a Angleset.
    Seat tube angle will steep when you drop front travel giving it a better climbing position. The seat angle steepens about a half degree per inch shorter fork. The BB will be around 13.5. " - Flymybike

Look at the time!
    interesting that a lot of folks here want the frame to be higher and steeper. I think the low-ness and relatively slack head angle is what makes this bike so good when pointed down a hill, and I certainly would not want to lose any of that. If anything, I think the HA could be half a degree slacker on the 2012, making it more like the 2011 model in that regard. BB height on the 2012 is spot on in my opinion. The 2011 was a touch low and could be compromising in some situations, but the 2012 is perfect.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

7MGTE

thx, good info in 7/8

No need for me to call, after running the 7/8" configuration for twelve months I'm a believer and preacher! I just really enjoy the way the frame performs with custom tuned 2.5" shock.
    Thanks for that info. Guess I did not know the 2.5 was so fun, I think you have Avy right? I hear good things about Avy.

Also , if I could nail 15-25 foot drops I'd need every available inch
    You can, you ride a Canfield One! :-)

Very true regarding both geo charts, but here's a quote from the 2011 thread.

"It's a great way to run this bike. A 160 on the front will drop the HA to 65.6 degrees. You can get a as steep as 67 degree HA with a CC Angle set. I'm planning to build mine with a Fox 180 talas so I can drop to 140mm climbing and have a 66 HA, but I'll get a Angleset too so I can play with it a bit. A 36 160mm Talas would be a good way to build it if your not using a Angleset.
    Seat tube angle will steep when you drop front travel giving it a better climbing position. The seat angle steepens about a half degree per inch shorter fork. The BB will be around 13.5. " - Flymybike
    Seems as if he was giving peeps Geo options if not using an Angle set. Lance states he will be using a "180" talas and he will drop fork to 140 for better Geo.

Now I am not saying you can't use smaller shocks or forks. All I am saying is if you use smaller shocks or forks then do not be surprised if BB drops some.

7MGTE
    Quote Originally Posted by lelebebbel View Post
    interesting that a lot of folks here want the frame to be higher and steeper. I think the low-ness and relatively slack head angle is what makes this bike so good when pointed down a hill, and I certainly would not want to lose any of that. If anything, I think the HA could be half a degree slacker on the 2012, making it more like the 2011 model in that regard. BB height on the 2012 is spot on in my opinion. The 2011 was a touch low and could be compromising in some situations, but the 2012 is perfect.
    I agree, I want to run mine at 65 Geo in 7/7 (front/rear). I think bike is spot on for me but if needed to change I have an AS so I could go ±1.5 if needed. Not saying I will just saying if needed, lol. Looking forward to trying 65 geo however for my type of riding.

I can not wait to get my 2012!

mtbr member
    I was nervous about the head angle before I got mine, but with a good season on it now, I've yet to encounter a situation where I wished it was steeper. I thought the point of the 1.5 head tube was to give us angleset options anyway. Seems like you already have the ability to set it over the range most anyone would want.

The BB height is another issue. If it was 1/2-3/4" higher, I think I'd like it more. Having played with it a bit, I prefer a slightly higher BB, with a shock with independent high and low-speed rebound, run with fairly high LS rebound so the shock runs deeper in it's travel when riding fast, yet can sit higher when you aren't hitting bumps quickly.
    Now if they could manage a higher BB with a dropout chip or different shock placement (some way to adjust BB height), that'd be even better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    also curious to know if there's going to be a 2013 model as im kind of looking for a new bike. and the one is ticking all the right boxes for me. is there any news on a 2013 model.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    also curious to know if there's going to be a 2013 model as im kind of looking for a new bike. and the one is ticking all the right boxes for me. is there any news on a 2013 model.
    All I know for sure is there will be a The One for 2013. I am pretty sure they are very pleased with the overall design so I doubt any changes will be made. Don't quote me though!

At some point when I get the motivation, I will be writing a full review on my experiences with the 2011/2012 The One. I have mostly good things to say about it, not much drastically wrong that can't be changed with some Geo adjustments.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRage43 View Post
    All I know for sure is there will be a The One for 2013. I am pretty sure they are very pleased with the overall design so I doubt any changes will be made. Don't quote me though!

At some point when I get the motivation, I will be writing a full review on my experiences with the 2011/2012 The One. I have mostly good things to say about it, not much drastically wrong that can't be changed with some Geo adjustments.
    im just waiting on a reply to an email from another manufacturer, to see if they can sort me out with a discounted frame when their new version comes out, basically i got a frame off them last year after 5 days it had to be warrantied as the frame was faulty from the factory, the frame was sent back in may, then in september i was supposed to get a new frame, they told me they had no frames instock to give me, so the best they could offer was a slightly used ex demo frame, ( that i was expected to pay full retail price for) needless to say i politly declined, and got a refund.
    the owner of this company said at the time he would do all he could to make things right, but his hands were tied as he was having lots of trouble with his frame builder at the time. , thats now sorted and he has production up and running again, so im hoping that they will do me a great deal on a new frame, if not then they can stick it, and i'll switch to canfield, as i hear only great things about their aftersales service.
    i met/spoke to ( cant remember if he said) brynn or glynn the sales manager for canfield, when i was in whistler at the end of sept, he was very friendly and helpful, even let me throw a leg over a the one to see if i liked it, which i did,
    so if i get no joy from this other company then canfield it is for me,

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    im just waiting on a reply to an email from another manufacturer, to see if they can sort me out with a discounted frame when their new version comes out, basically i got a frame off them last year after 5 days it had to be warrantied as the frame was faulty from the factory, the frame was sent back in may, then in september i was supposed to get a new frame, they told me they had no frames instock to give me, so the best they could offer was a slightly used ex demo frame, ( that i was expected to pay full retail price for) needless to say i politly declined, and got a refund.
    the owner of this company said at the time he would do all he could to make things right, but his hands were tied as he was having lots of trouble with his frame builder at the time. , thats now sorted and he has production up and running again, so im hoping that they will do me a great deal on a new frame, if not then they can stick it, and i'll switch to canfield, as i hear only great things about their aftersales service.
    i met/spoke to ( cant remember if he said) brynn or glynn the sales manager for canfield, when i was in whistler at the end of sept, he was very friendly and helpful, even let me throw a leg over a the one to see if i liked it, which i did,
    so if i get no joy from this other company then canfield it is for me,
    If you have loyalties to this builder than by all means stick to it. My advise though, is forget about it and get The One! Not only is it a great bike, but the company backing it is great. Just from what I have seen so far, and personal experience, Canfield Bros wouldn't let that happen to one of their own.

Even if they made a crap bike, which they don't, I'd still be Canfield - All the way!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRage43 View Post
    If you have loyalties to this builder than by all means stick to it. My advise though, is forget about it and get The One! Not only is it a great bike, but the company backing it is great. Just from what I have seen so far, and personal experience, Canfield Bros wouldn't let that happen to one of their own.

Even if they made a crap bike, which they don't, I'd still be Canfield - All the way!
    i know mate, i am very impressed by what i hear about the brothers aftersales service, i was very impressed a few months back how they helped that guy from alaska out when he cracked his rear end, even though it was an old discontinued model they still replaced his broken part as they had one left in stock, that is the kind of customer service i am looking for.
    i have to say at the time ( may last year) i was very dissapointed and angry when my frame had to go back for replacement, but i tried to be calm and reasonable, not only did the other for now unnamed comapny leave me bikeless all summer, it was the way they just expected me to accept the second hand ex demo at retail price. ( though to be fair it was more the bike shop that was pushing me to accept this deal as they didnt want to refund my money, i suppose the manufacturer was only trying to help.)
    i also want to give them a chance to make things right, though up to now i have emailed them 3 times and had no response, so it's looking more and more like i could be rocking a canfield next season,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    Now if they could manage a higher BB with a dropout chip or different shock placement (some way to adjust BB height), that'd be even better.
    I like the idea of shock placement. Quick and easy. A revised front-shock-mount that offered an adjust would fit the bill.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I think the 2012 geo has came close to nailing it, but being able to adjust the HTA and BB (65-66, 1/2"ish) via simple shock placement would be stellar.

mtbr member
    Im not in a hurry but I am looking to snag a One to replace my SC Bullit Mk2! Does the current 2.6k frame price reflect the original retail price or is it an end of season discount? Im wondering if I should plan to wait a while for news on the 2013 or should I be grabbing a 2012?

Also, can anyone elaborate on the current Ones technical climbing characteristics or point me in the direction of this type of review? I havent been able to find much other than "it's awesome"
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check