mtbr member

Shimano 2X10 on a Yelli

I've used the search function - seems like most folks are using a modified or single chain ring crank on their Yelli builds. I talked to Sean @ Canfield when I ordered my frame and asked if the 38X26 XT crank would work. Sean said it would work but would be very close, he was correct. Currently the 38 sits maybe 1.5 - 2 mm from the chain stay w/ 2 2.5 mm spacers, in Shimano world I'm barely getting the warm and fuzzy purchase I'd like to get on the non-drive side crank axle, but it's there, again, barely. I wouldn't let a customer take this out of the door but since it's on my personal bike I'm thinking of trying it. I'd be bummed to be forced into a single chain ring set up, a 36 would be an OK compromise especially if the bike handles as well as the reviews claim, (does Shimano even make a 10 speed 36t chain ring???) I haven't quite gotten to the FD set up either, and I'm concerned about that as well, hmmm...

Any one else use a 38x26 t crank set from Shimano w/ any kind of success? The minute I jam the big ring into a rock it's going to gouge the crap out of the frame.

What's the solution other than SRAM's XX1 group? lol...
    My one says BRAP!

Canfield Brothers
    Plume - As this has been a HUGE discussion over the years, I am currently working on 2x setup tips for our Yelli and Nimble. I am in the process building a Yelli for my wife and I'm testing Sram 26/39, Shimano 26/38 and XX1 32t using Race Space spindle spacers to achieve the spacing that we are looking for. We know and understand our clearances are tight, however we are willing to accept this compromise to ensure our bikes ride the way that we want... FUN!

I'll have the full report shortly after a little more testing..

Shimano 2X10 on a Yelli-slx-crank.jpg

Shimano 2X10 on a Yelli-slx-set-up.jpg

mtbr member
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'm completely willing to compromise w/ gearing to achieve a 29er that's actually (like you said) FUN to ride. So I think I'll try some spindle spacers to gain a bit more clearance. With that SLX crank you have shown, are you still able to get good purchase on the non drive crank arm?
    My one says BRAP!

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by plume View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'm completely willing to compromise w/ gearing to achieve a 29er that's actually (like you said) FUN to ride. So I think I'll try some spindle spacers to gain a bit more clearance. With that SLX crank you have shown, are you still able to get good purchase on the non drive crank arm?
    I was able to get enough that I would feel comfortable. Ultimately, She'll be running the XX1 and our 9t setup with a 9/36 cassette on this. I'm just not a fan of that strange little device that moves your chain from ring to ring on your cranks. HAHA!

mtbr member
    Found a single 24mm X 1mm spindle spacer, with the 2 2.5 mm spacers on the drive side BB and the 1mm spindle spacer it looks great on the drive side but there's not enough of the spindle showing on the non-drive. I'm leaning toward rolling with my original set up.
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingtonVT View Post
    I was able to get enough that I would feel comfortable. Ultimately, She'll be running the XX1 and our 9t setup with a 9/36 cassette on this. I'm just not a fan of that strange little device that moves your chain from ring to ring on your cranks. HAHA!
    No argument there. FDs are horrible even Shimano's version is not trouble free. I'd LOVE a XX1 group but that is not in the cards currently. I hope both SRAM and Shimano come out with a trail worthy 1X10 (or 11) that is a little more cost effective. But hey, FDs are what keeps me in business - that and electronic shifting on those damn silly curly bar bikes.
    My one says BRAP!

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by plume View Post
    No argument there. FDs are horrible even Shimano's version is not trouble free. I'd LOVE a XX1 group but that is not in the cards currently. I hope both SRAM and Shimano come out with a trail worthy 1X10 (or 11) that is a little more cost effective. But hey, FDs are what keeps me in business - that and electronic shifting on those damn silly curly bar bikes.
    The XX1 Cranks are SURPRISINGLY affordable. Mate that to our 9t setup and you are golden for no where near the XX1 group!

mtbr member
    Thanks, that's pretty nifty. Of course I'm pretty particular to my newly build Chris King wheels but that's a very viable option. Do you folks have a front hub that matches?

Decided to finish the build this evening, I just couldn't resist. Test ride was wonderful, and I ended up commuting on the bike home just as a nice break in ride before I hit the single track this weekend. No issues on pavement, lol - just messing around in the parking lot and on the way home I can already tell it will corner nicely. Easy to manual and bunny hop. LOTS of seat post showing, that will take some getting used to but luckily I have one of those fancy KS LEVs arriving tomorrow, the bike seems to cry out for an adjustable post, can't wait to try this version out.

You all did a great job with this frame, I'll post pics soon - thanks again!
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    My saint 22-36 didn't fit w/o a standard 2.5mm spacer, and because 1mm spacers in the requires size are IMPOSSIBLE to find, I am using another 2mm spacer. I found my old x9 crank didn't fair well with my size, that is why I went ALL OUT with the saint. Now I am lusting for 1x10 and don't have the lungs for much over a 28t.

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    because 1mm spacers in the requires size are IMPOSSIBLE to find
    The Race Face SPINDLE spacers we recommend are readily available online: pricepoint.com. These can also be ordered through any bike shop as QBP carries them.

Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    I'm going to check in with the folks at e13 on monday as they make a 104 BCD 36/22 chain ring combo - not sure about the fitment on an XT crank? That would be a fine "fix" IMHO. Still no issues after some more aggressive riding.

Side note: this is possibly the most fun bike I've ever ridden. I'm still gushing!
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I setup a yelli for one of our team riders using the Raceface spacer kit Vin was talking about.
    New 2X10 XT cranks. I used 3 of the white and I black spacer.
    The cranks have plenty of space on the drive side. Once you set the preload on the none drive side you have plenty of spindle in the none drive crank arm.
    Hope this helps.
    Vaughn
    DH CBros One 11
    XC CBros Sauce
    29" CBros Nimble 9
    4x Staats
    BMX Specialized S-Works 20
    Road Specialized Allez cromo