mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Riot to replace Process and Rune?

Hey guys,

I'm very interested in the Riot/Toir.

I am curious if this bike is capable enough to ditch both my Process 111, and Beefed up Banshee Rune.

The Process being 29er, short travel, snappy, but heavy.

the Rune being 27.5, long travel...and heavy! lol

My thoughts, the Canfield is the intermediate in regards to travel, but with the bigger wheels it's a nice combo, and I expect it to pedal at least as well as the Kona given it's more refined linkage. Sort of best of both worlds?

The Kona is my main ride, and the Rune doesn't see a lot of action unless I'm traveling, so going down to one do all bike makes sense, but i don't want more of a hog than I already have with the Kona...if that makes sense?
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2016 Banshee Rune

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Subscribing to this! Currently a 111 owner as well and the Riot has been calling on me for the longest time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Wife just got a Process 134. This is what she wanted for a while...then she rode my Riot. Now she wants one. She likes the fact it feels like a small bike until you star taking big hits.

I've ridden a 111, the Riot moves around a lot easier, Pedals way better. It handles way more than any trail bike I know of.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    What do you use your Rune for? I wouldn't use my Riot as a freeride bike but but don't shy away from any trail on it. Steeps to reasonable drops (6+ foot to transitions) to jumps. A couple laps at whistler led to huge smiles and despite what some folks say, I see no downside to the short stays and high speed stability. More time with rear shock tune or get the right sized frame is my answer to those concerns.

I do have a transition Patrol but I honestly don't find myself riding it that much as the Riot is really more fun to me and seldom do I hit up something that I feel like the Patrol is the better tool for the day. In fact, I may be selling the Patrol soon.

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by aenema View Post
    What do you use your Rune for? I wouldn't use my Riot as a freeride bike but but don't shy away from any trail on it. Steeps to reasonable drops (6+ foot to transitions) to jumps. A couple laps at whistler led to huge smiles and despite what some folks say, I see no downside to the short stays and high speed stability. More time with rear shock tune or get the right sized frame is my answer to those concerns.

I do have a transition Patrol but I honestly don't find myself riding it that much as the Riot is really more fun to me and seldom do I hit up something that I feel like the Patrol is the better tool for the day. In fact, I may be selling the Patrol soon.
    I used the Rune mostly for lift access, where lift access here in Ontario is pretty mellow. And, I currently travel with it. Truth be told, it is under utilized and I'm having a hard time holding on to it.

I think the Riot would make a good bike to ride local trail, which really isn't all that crazy, but also use for light lift access and travel. Reduce the full suspension quiver from 2 to 1.

Or maybe just replace the Kona and use the Rune for lift to preserve the Riot?

I get the sense the Riot will do everything the Process 111 can do, but better.
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2016 Banshee Rune

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    5'7 = Medium?
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2016 Banshee Rune

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The geo of the of the Riot makes it comfortable for all sorts of aggressive trail and it has enough travel for most things. I have a short shock for my Riot and a coil. Coil is the standard 140mm travel and my short shock is same 7.88 eye to eye but a 2 inch stroke vs stock 2.25 so it makes around 125mm travel. Fun have both for the versatility, depending on the trail the short stroke really makes the bike snappy and playful.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw View Post
    5'7 = Medium?

Since you're in between sizes. What kind of trails do you ride more? I got a small since the trails I ride most of the time are tight and twisty along with drops and chunk. When things get really fast I sometimes wish i got a medium. But glad i didnt on long rides since being streached out puts a lot of presure on the hands. What size is the Kona? the reach is similar for each size.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I would steer you towards a medium personally but that is all preference and if you are serious would suggest a call into canfield as well to hear their take.

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    Since you're in between sizes. What kind of trails do you ride more? I got a small since the trails I ride most of the time are tight and twisty along with drops and chunk. When things get really fast I sometimes wish i got a medium. But glad i didnt on long rides since being streached out puts a lot of presure on the hands. What size is the Kona? the reach is similar for each size.
    Kona is a medium. And I ride a mix of everything really.
    You are right now we, the reach is nearly identical identical.
    I do ride a riser bar on my 111 to help, as you are right, at 5'7 medium is reachy, and I find hard on the back. Riser has helped a ton.
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2016 Banshee Rune

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I previously (and still have the frame) owned a Kona Process 111. I loved the crap out of the process 111 and did not think i would find something as fun. But, then came along the riot. Somehow im faster on most the trails i ride ( i assumed it would be a give and take with some places faster some slower). It's a bit taller then the kona (if your 120 F/R) and the BB is a bit higher if i recall but your not losing much at all. 140 is a real good sweet spot for being jack of all trades without feeling outgunned on the chunky stuff like i did on my Process 111. The short chainstays make it real playful and fun to toss around. Feels a little shorter than the Kona (mostly due to the short chainstays) so likes to jump off any bump. Honestly feels to me like the pedal efficiency is much better on my 140 rear Toir than on my 111 process.

Here is what user DustyDuke22 said prior on a thread comparing the Toir to the GG Trail Pistol in regards to the process 111. Hope you dont mind DustyDuke22, as this is a quality review.

"
    The Process 111 was really one of the Pioneers in the aggressive 29er category, and its still a killer bike.

I still have DH PR's on my 111 that I have not beat on my other bikes. That is a testament to just how good the 111 really is. These trails were a mix of rocks, chunk and straightline speed. With the center of gravity being so low, paired with the short rear end and long reach, the 111 was a game changer for the bike industry.

There are a few things that seem to be holding the 111 back. The first one is that it only has 111mm of travel! Yes, it used that 111mm extremely well, but it can't really keep up with bikes in the same class, but with 10 to 30 more mm's of travel. I found this especially apparent when hitting the St. George and Moab style trails. The rear end would get overwhelmed fairly fast once the bumps got tightly spaced and consecutive. You can feel the rear end start getting bucked around and you know that you have reached the limit.

To help with this, I purchased a Cane Creed DBInline that seemed to help considerably. But after blowing 3 in a single month, I threw in the towel and went back to the stock Monarch. CC seems to have sorted out some of their QC issues now, so if I had another 111, that DBInline would be one of the first upgrades I would make. Either that or send my Monarch to Avalanche to have Craig work his magic. I also bumped up the fork to 130mm which seemed to help some, but did not magically make the rear travel grow.

The 111 climbs reasonably well, not as good as the Following or Riot, but probably right in line with the TP. Using the climb switch really firms things up and it pedals like a champ. The one thing that really stood out to me with the 111 was how well it did in challenging technical climbs. It almost felt like I was cheating with how well it scooted right up the chunk. It was just as good if not better than the Riot and Following.

In short, the reason I no longer have the 111 is I was able to take it to its limit fairly quick. The trails I love are extremely technical, already pushing a bike to the edge doesn't leave much room for error. Yes, the bike is extremely fast and really does such a good job with the 111mm of travel it has.

It they came out with a 140mm version of the 111, it would be on my short list."

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw View Post
    Kona is a medium. And I ride a mix of everything really.
    You are right now we, the reach is nearly identical identical.
    I do ride a riser bar on my 111 to help, as you are right, at 5'7 medium is reachy, and I find hard on the back. Riser has helped a ton.
    Than you can duplicate the felling and go Med. Or get a small. I'm riding a small 40mm stem 780mm bars and comfortable on long rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danniel1332 View Post
    I previously (and still have the frame) owned a Kona Process 111. I loved the crap out of the process 111 and did not think i would find something as fun. But, then came along the riot. Somehow im faster on most the trails i ride ( i assumed it would be a give and take with some places faster some slower). It's a bit taller then the kona (if your 120 F/R) and the BB is a bit higher if i recall but your not losing much at all. 140 is a real good sweet spot for being jack of all trades without feeling outgunned on the chunky stuff like i did on my Process 111. The short chainstays make it real playful and fun to toss around. Feels a little shorter than the Kona (mostly due to the short chainstays) so likes to jump off any bump. Honestly feels to me like the pedal efficiency is much better on my 140 rear Toir than on my 111 process.

Here is what user DustyDuke22 said prior on a thread comparing the Toir to the GG Trail Pistol in regards to the process 111. Hope you dont mind DustyDuke22, as this is a quality review.

"
    The Process 111 was really one of the Pioneers in the aggressive 29er category, and its still a killer bike.

I still have DH PR's on my 111 that I have not beat on my other bikes. That is a testament to just how good the 111 really is. These trails were a mix of rocks, chunk and straightline speed. With the center of gravity being so low, paired with the short rear end and long reach, the 111 was a game changer for the bike industry.

There are a few things that seem to be holding the 111 back. The first one is that it only has 111mm of travel! Yes, it used that 111mm extremely well, but it can't really keep up with bikes in the same class, but with 10 to 30 more mm's of travel. I found this especially apparent when hitting the St. George and Moab style trails. The rear end would get overwhelmed fairly fast once the bumps got tightly spaced and consecutive. You can feel the rear end start getting bucked around and you know that you have reached the limit.

To help with this, I purchased a Cane Creed DBInline that seemed to help considerably. But after blowing 3 in a single month, I threw in the towel and went back to the stock Monarch. CC seems to have sorted out some of their QC issues now, so if I had another 111, that DBInline would be one of the first upgrades I would make. Either that or send my Monarch to Avalanche to have Craig work his magic. I also bumped up the fork to 130mm which seemed to help some, but did not magically make the rear travel grow.

The 111 climbs reasonably well, not as good as the Following or Riot, but probably right in line with the TP. Using the climb switch really firms things up and it pedals like a champ. The one thing that really stood out to me with the 111 was how well it did in challenging technical climbs. It almost felt like I was cheating with how well it scooted right up the chunk. It was just as good if not better than the Riot and Following.

In short, the reason I no longer have the 111 is I was able to take it to its limit fairly quick. The trails I love are extremely technical, already pushing a bike to the edge doesn't leave much room for error. Yes, the bike is extremely fast and really does such a good job with the 111mm of travel it has.

It they came out with a 140mm version of the 111, it would be on my short list."
    You mean a longer travel 29er Kona?
    :slaps-forehead:

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    Than you can duplicate the felling and go Med. Or get a small. I'm riding a small 40mm stem 780mm bars and comfortable on long rides.
    I went medium after. While I am with you on the small being better for trail a good bit of the time, the medium will suit me better for park riding I think.

Medium, with 35mm stem, 750 bars with a 40mm rise. This has worked well for me on the Process, and fingers crossed it works well on the Canfield also.

Now...bikes are on the chopping block. Do I cut 2 (Process/Rune), or 1 (Process)...both of which I really enjoy. Been following Canfield for a long time and I couldn't pass on the current specials...but I just can't justify keeping so many bikes...to my girlfriend.
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2016 Banshee Rune