mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Riot Coil thread

Digging through the Riot thread, there are a lot of folks putting coils on their Riots, but I figured it'd be good to have one place to talk coils...getting all the information out of that thread is a pain.

I'm 250 pounds, aggressive, and thinking coil because 1. I've blown my dbInline 2. looking for more mid stroke support and 3. hate the notch in the stroke where the DBInline air chambers equalize.

I think a 600 lb spring would make me happy, and the bike should pedal pretty well... thoughts?

mtbr member
    I swapped by CC DBAir out for an Avalanche Woodie. It is terrific. I've only gotten out on it 5 times and it's my first coil shock but everything they say is true. Super plush on the downs but climbs really well. It's about a pound heavier but I don't feel it on the bike when riding. Call Craig at Avalanche to discuss. He's got a couple of options and will customize them for you and your style of riding. The Push option is nice too but not sure it's worth the $300-400 premium.

Chris Bling
    Make it easy on yourself. Call Craig at Avalanche and order a Woodie. Based on your weight, he will set you up with the correct coil rating and shim stack tune. It's magic

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    I've come to appreciate the simplicity and reliability of a coil over an air shock. Never tried a Woodie from Avalanche but from your guys (Dustyduke & Wooly88) experience I'm sure there very fine shocks. I have a Push and its also a fine shock weather you want to spend more cash it's up to you, I don't think you can go wrong with either. What I'm trying to say, "damn the weight penalty" these shocks are the bomb and enhance any frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    Make it easy on yourself. Call Craig at Avalanche and order a Woodie. Based on your weight, he will set you up with the correct coil rating and shim stack tune. It's magic

I think this is the best advice one can give. If you want the best ride out of the box, go Avy or Push and send them your weight, riding style, concerns, etc. I have the Woodie and love it. I personally do not feel the need (on this frame) for the two different settings the 11/6 offers. It does look super nice though.

mtbr member
    Any benefit to order the 11-6 through Canfield with a frame vs Push? It looks like it is a bit less up front if ordered through Canfield.

Also, the are 2 shops local to me selling the 11-6 and stocking parts. This in itself could be an attractive selling point.

mtbr member
    If your looking to save some cash, get a vanRC and send it to Avy. It's what I've been running on the Riot from the start. Pure, reliable custom performance.

mtbr member
    Anyone running a dbinline coil on the Riot yet?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Dbinline is what I was thinking.

mtbr member
    I put on an MRP Raze and am very happy with the change in performance. They were also very helpful and I ordered it thru CB.

Went from a 500# to 450# so I put a Fox SLS Spring on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Riot Coil thread-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ROFF View Post
    I put on an MRP Raze and am very happy with the change in performance. They were also very helpful and I ordered it thru CB.

Went from a 500# to 450# so I put a Fox SLS Spring on.
    Dude...how'd you get mixed color links?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I coiled up - DBCoil Inline, warranty upgrade on the DBInline. It's heavier, but so am I.

Performance is immediately noticeable - massively more supple, way less wallow, and super predictable. One of my favorite bike video 'things' is when I see guys hit giant doubles, road gaps, whatever gnar they've got, and land on their real wheel and just hold that manual forever, pumping through the next obstacles.

I always struggled to do anything even close to that, despite the Riot being super manual-y...the coil really changed that. It's just predictable, so I can find my balance point and hold it.

I set a bunch of PRs in the my first few rides with it.

Riot Coil thread-14444994_10103836520429192_5691140666290074756_o.jpg
    Riot Coil thread-14500659_10103836520553942_1265201266596831864_o.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenngineer View Post
    Dude...how'd you get mixed color links?
    I painted them! I didn't like the green. LMK if you want more info. Super easy and the anodizing is great prep for paint.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    What paint did you use?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Glenngineer, its been a few months with your DB Coil Inline, how's it performing for you? Still good after the honeymoon?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenngineer View Post
    I coiled up - DBCoil Inline, warranty upgrade on the DBInline. It's heavier, but so am I.

Performance is immediately noticeable - massively more supple, way less wallow, and super predictable. One of my favorite bike video 'things' is when I see guys hit giant doubles, road gaps, whatever gnar they've got, and land on their real wheel and just hold that manual forever, pumping through the next obstacles.

I always struggled to do anything even close to that, despite the Riot being super manual-y...the coil really changed that. It's just predictable, so I can find my balance point and hold it.

I set a bunch of PRs in the my first few rides with it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14444994_10103836520429192_5691140666290074756_o.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	1096993
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14500659_10103836520553942_1265201266596831864_o.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	1096994

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Agreed on the "after honey moon" question on the db inline.

Also does anyone know the source of the db inline failures ? I had three on previous bikes that needed to be replaced / rebuilt under warranty. Is that same failure part of the inline coil ?

Also anyone looking to sell their chubbie from their riot ? Maybe moving to another bike ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Makarmtb View Post
    Agreed on the "after honey moon" question on the db inline.

Also does anyone know the source of the db inline failures ? I had three on previous bikes that needed to be replaced / rebuilt under warranty. Is that same failure part of the inline coil ?

Also anyone looking to sell their chubbie from their riot ? Maybe moving to another bike ?
    This^ looking at this shock but I've seen way too many failures with the Inline air.

mtbr member
    here is my custom by the Bros 2016 Riot in Transparent Blue running DVO setup of a Jade/Diamond... super fun bike in this mode...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Well I went ahead and got a CCDB Coil Inline. I got a 450 and a 500 spring. Unfortunately the 500 is a 2.5 not 2.25 and it's free length is way too long for me to get it onto the shock. I have the 450 mounted up right now and I have 3.5 turns of preload to get me to about 17mm of sag. I am using the base neutral tune to start with which is:

HSC 2
    LSC 7
    HSR 2
    LSR 10

Going for a frigid ride this afternoon to test it out.

Riot Coil thread-img_8355.jpg

Riot Coil thread-img_8352.jpg
    Last edited by StumpyandhisBike; 03-11-2017 at 12:06 PM. Reason: *error listing my damping settings*

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StumpyandhisBike View Post
    Going for a frigid ride this afternoon to test it out.
    So how was the ride? Looking at getting a Riot to replace my Enduro 29er and wondering if it's worth the extra $100 for the DVO Jade

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey j View Post
    So how was the ride? Looking at getting a Riot to replace my Enduro 29er and wondering if it's worth the extra $100 for the DVO Jade
    Yes! Don't bother with the CCDBAir

The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey j View Post
    That ride was unfortunately cut short due to another unrelated mechanical error that was totally my fault. Bummer as everything was bare and frozen solid. The next day we were hit with a huge wind storm and then a big snow and then everything thawed and now we are getting rain. The trails are a mess and I have to stay off of them.

The few miles I did put on were very positive. It's just so soon to say. It's supposed to dry up next week and hopefully I can put more saddle time in off road. I have tore up and down the street a few times and it seems easier to manual and bunny hop. I got one jump in on that first test ride before my crank fell off. Too many BB spacers.

I have yet to read anyone say that they don't like the coil on the Riot. Based on my initial impression I would say that in your case the Jade is probably a worth while upgrade.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    Yes! Don't bother with the CCDBAir

Yea, waffling between either the Topaz or the Jade

mtbr member
    That ride was unfortunately cut short due to another unrelated mechanical error that was totally my fault. Bummer as everything was bare and frozen solid. The next day we were hit with a huge wind storm and then a big snow and then everything thawed and now we are getting rain. The trails are a mess and I have to stay off of them.

The few miles I did put on were very positive. It's just so soon to say. It's supposed to dry up next week and hopefully I can put more saddle time in off road. I have tore up and down the street a few times and it seems easier to manual and bunny hop. I got one jump in on that first test ride before my crank fell off. Too many BB spacers.

I have yet to read anyone say that they don't like the coil on the Riot. Based on my initial impression I would say that in your case the Jade is probably a worth while upgrade.
    Awe man, sux when you just want to ride and the weather is keeping you off the trail. Keep me posted on your thoughts when you get some trail time!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I've got a Avalanche Chubbie coil. So glade I went coil.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Have a Jade on my Balance. Will be getting a Riot as soon as my buddy pays me for my TBLT. Will be going Jade on that Riot because I'm enjoying it so much on my Balance. Might try the Topaz on the carbon Riot if I try to go weight wennie on it. Coil is cool!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    On the weight weenie topic, the CCDB Coil IL with a standard steel CC 450x2.25 spring was 10 oz heavier than the Monarch Plus Debonair that I took off. Sorry I don't have a good scale to do grams on, but converting it that's like 283 grams for those who care to count.

I always weigh stuff I put on or take off because I care a little, but not that much.
    As far as the rear shock goes, most of the time I will just be doing aggressive trail riding with relatively short descents. Don't know if I need the cooling advantage of a piggy back but wanted a coil. That's why I went with the inline coil as opposed to the regular DB coil or was also thinking the Fox X2. I was also toying with the idea of the Avalanche Montie but couldn't find much in the way of feedback on it. The deal I got on the Coil IL I couldn't pass up.

I will definitely post up a better report as soon as I have one worth while to give.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Howdy,

I have a 16 Riot (which I love). Its also become my park bike. Is anyone running this?
    Fox Van Performance Shock 2017

I'm not a massive Fox fan but I would like to get the bike more supple. I am running the CCDB Air right now. I am looking at the fox because it is fairly cheap right now.

Thanks
    I got more bikes than skills, son!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Looks like a decent option. I like that it has a 2 position compression switch. I'm sure it would probably perform well and if it isn't perfect there's always the option of having push or avalanche tuning it later on. Doesn't seem to be that heavy at 315g without the spring.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Looks like a decent option. I like that it has a 2 position compression switch. I'm sure it would probably perform well and if it isn't perfect there's always the option of having push or avalanche tuning it later on. Doesn't seem to be that heavy at 315g without the spring.
    Thanks. I think I'll give it a shot. Can't wait to start riding again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I got more bikes than skills, son!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fauxfreeride View Post
    Thanks. I think I'll give it a shot. Can't wait to start riding again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you were willing to look, you may be able to find something used and then send to Avy for a rebuild/custom tune. You would make out with a custom tuned shock for about the same price as buying your current choice for about the same price.

Just a quick search...

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/lis...75&category=11

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I got another short ride on the Coil IL and man it is far more composed. I'm still fine tuning but I'm impressed. Between the coil, the Riot balance suspension design, oval chainring and the 2.8 plus tire this thing has outstanding traction on the climbs. I'm so used to needing the climb switch with air shocks but after this last ride I cleaned some techy climbs that were wet that I would sometimes struggle with dry on previous bikes.

Low speed behavior of this shock is where I am experiencing the most significant improvement. Gone is the odd mid stroke wallow and low speed spikes. With air shocks I could tune one of those out but not the other. I still need to adjust this a little on the compression side but it's very close.

I only got a few spots of riding at high speed. The shock felt excellent here but the trails are still a bit beat up and more time in this fun zone will come.

Two small jumps and the bike felt excellent. Confident and composed. I still need to adjust the rebound a bit here for a little more pop.

The bike definitely feels better in all situations over my experience with the Monarch. I'm trying to stay objective and not just "feel like" it's better to justify my purchase but based on my early experiences as well as others that I've read, dang it I don't know why the brothers even bother putting an air shock on this bike.

I will provide a better review after a few months of real saddle time, but it really seems like it was the right move.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have a CCDB IL coil on my Riot as well, and it works great. Rider weight 185, #500 spring, 14mm (25%) sag, HSC 2.5, LSC 12, HSR 2, LSR 6. Bike is set up for hard charging at high speed through roots, rocks and anything else a trail can throw at you with a 150mm Lyrik and Minnion DHF/DHRII DD casing tires. It is one of the most composed, yet fun, trail bikes I have ever ridden.

mtbr member
    If anyone is interested, I have a Avalanche Woodie I might sell. The Riot is staying in the family, but the shock is overkill for the wifey...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk