mtbr member
    Jun 2018

Riot Coil Options

Can anyone speak to the coil options that currently exist for a Riot? I've read through other threads about other members personal experiences with certain shocks, but I'm curious to see what shocks are out there that would work that haven't been previously addressed.

Seems like the general consensus is that the Push is Supreme, but not exactly budget friendly. Anyone run a Vivid or Raze? DB Coils also seem popular. What am I forgetting?

mtbr member
    Fox DHX2 and DVO Jade are also out there. I think you'll come across a few Canfield's with Jade's since they could come specced with the bike from Canfield.

There are also several riders using the Avalanche Suspension shocks and I've heard they're a little heavy but really well performing shocks.

I'm using a DBinline Coil with the climb switch and it's been great.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by chestont; 06-27-2018 at 09:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'm on an Avalanche Shock. Last year Craig at Avalance told me he wasn't going to make anymore shock in the near future and just change the internals and tune shocks. With that in mind I'd get the Raze it's great on it's own and Avalanche can tune it. Or the Hazard which is the Raze with a climb/compression switch. I personally dont feel the Riot needs a switch though. IMHO the Riot does best with a shock that can blow off enough HSC. Or the rear feels nervous in high speed chatter.

If you know you want a custom shock you can pick up a cheap used fox coil shock and have Avalanche tune it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Running both air and coil on my Ď15 Riot. 200x51 RS Monarch RT3 Push tuned for 125mm travel mode and 200x57 MRP Raze for 140mm travel.
    If/when I decide to let my warden go, Iíll re-tune push 11-6 to run on the Riot. Love it so much with a coil

2 wheel drifter
    Anyone running a coil have input on ballpark spring weight for a rider around 170 all kitted up? I have a CCDB from another bike I'm thinking of putting on to change things up.

I'm also trying to track down the shock hardware dimensions. Can anyone confirm if it is 22mm in the front and 35mm in the rear?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    22x8 and 36x8 for hardware I use 500lb for 190 to 200lbs

At 170 probably 400-450lbs

2 wheel drifter
    Awesome, thanks Cerberus. Much appreciated.

mtbr member
    I'm on an avy woodie 200x57 with a 400lb spring at 160lbs and absolutely love it. As I've ranted about earlier, the only downside is the weight, as the coil has me carrying close to 35lbs of bike around.

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Curious as to how the CCDB coil works. I think I am going to buy one also.
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbart View Post
    Anyone running a coil have input on ballpark spring weight for a rider around 170 all kitted up? I have a CCDB from another bike I'm thinking of putting on to change things up.

I'm also trying to track down the shock hardware dimensions. Can anyone confirm if it is 22mm in the front and 35mm in the rear?
    Try giving Canfield a call about what spring weight to use. Sean was great at getting back to me and let me know to go with a 500lb spring for the Jade on my Balance. I ride around 200-210lb. Cerberus is probably right with 450lb springs. The Jade is awesome but like Dr. Gigi said I am also carrying around about 35lb of bike weight. I plan to drop both 10% off me and my Balance. Enjoy your Riot, I love my Balance!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw View Post
    Curious as to how the CCDB coil works. I think I am going to buy one also.
    I'm using the CCDB inline with a 500lb valt spring and It works really well. Really plush, supple, and adds a lot of stability at speed to the Riot without adding a terrible amount of weight. It did take a bit tinkering to dial it in to how I like it though.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Has anyone run a RS Vivid Coil on the Riot? I recently picked one up and was wondering if anyone had some experience with it. I personally have been having difficulty preventing it from bottoming, even though I weight 165lb geared and am running a 450lb spring.

Thanks.

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix864 View Post
    Has anyone run a RS Vivid Coil on the Riot? I recently picked one up and was wondering if anyone had some experience with it. I personally have been having difficulty preventing it from bottoming, even though I weight 165lb geared and am running a 450lb spring.

Thanks.
    we are the same size. For the CCDB my calc leads me to believe 450 is the right range but on the high side for me. I bought both 400 and 450 as such.

What are your settings? I assume all high speed compression is backed off? If so, bump down to 400, and dial up the compression until you are not bottoming hard.
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    we are the same size. For the CCDB my calc leads me to believe 450 is the right range but on the high side for me. I bought both 400 and 450 as such.

What are your settings? I assume all high speed compression is backed off? If so, bump down to 400, and dial up the compression until you are not bottoming hard.
    I'm running 3 clicks of compression, 4 clicks of end stroke rebound, and 10 clicks of beginning rebound. However, still trying to find a good baseline amount of preload to work off of. The manual also lists the end stroke rebound as being adjusted with a hex screw, but I have both a hex screw and a dial labeled ending rebound.

Thanks.

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Preload should not really interfere with you getting full travel unless you have an excessive amount. At 165lbs, and 450, I don't think you'll need much.

I forgot the vivid doesn't have end of stroke compression. If you can't get full travel then your high speed compression is quite likely over dampened. You can get it custom valved, or drop down to 400 lbs spring.

Try a minimum amount of preload. If that doesn't work
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Preload should not really interfere with you getting full travel unless you have an excessive amount. At 165lbs, and 450, I don't think you'll need much.

I forgot the vivid doesn't have end of stroke compression. If you can't get full travel then your high speed compression is quite likely over dampened. You can get it custom valved, or drop down to 400 lbs spring.

Try a minimum amount of preload. If that doesn't work
    Sorry, I was trying to say that I was finding that the shock was bottoming too much. Unfortunately the Vivid does not have end of stroke compression, which probably would solve my issue. For preload, the minimum amount would be when the spring cannot move vertically or horizontally on the shock, correct?

Thanks.

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    That's right. Minimum would be just slightly compressed to secure the spring.

Sounds like you need a heavier spring, or a custom tune job.

A lot of people seem to like the Riot with a little less sag - I'd say give a 500 lbs spring a go.
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    That's right. Minimum would be just slightly compressed to secure the spring.

Sounds like you need a heavier spring, or a custom tune job.

A lot of people seem to like the Riot with a little less sag - I'd say give a 500 lbs spring a go.
    Sounds good, I tightened the preload to the point the spring would not move when I shook it, checked sag, and added a quarter turn to achieve 16mm of sag with 15mm of preload threads exposed. I hope this isn't too much preload, if so I will definitely need a stronger spring.

I also slightly increased compression and added a few clicks of end stroke rebound to help prevent bottom outs. If that still doesn't help decrease their frequency, then it sounds like a 500lb spring would be the next best option, followed by a custom tune.

Thanks for the advice.

Riot Coil Options-img_20180717_192708.jpg

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Sounds good, I tightened the preload to the point the spring would not move when I shook it, checked sag, and added a quarter turn to achieve 16mm of sag with 15mm of preload threads exposed. I hope this isn't too much preload, if so I will definitely need a stronger spring.

I also slightly increased compression and added a few clicks of end stroke rebound to help prevent bottom outs. If that still doesn't help decrease their frequency, then it sounds like a 500lb spring would be the next best option, followed by a custom tune.

Thanks for the advice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180717_192708.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	121.8 KB 
ID:	1208572
    Doesn't sound like too much. Preload.

I suspect yes, you are in it for another spring.

Are you bottoming hard/harshly?

I am a bit worried now that I should be ordering a 450 and 500, and not 400 and 450. But then the DB has tunable HSC.
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Just picked up a Jade for bike park days and need to buy the mounting hardware for it. Canfield lists the sizes on their site as 22mmX8mm and 36mmX8mm, however DVO doesn't seem to offer a 36mm option (closest other option being 35.2 or 37.6).

Anyone have any advice? I'm assuming call DVO is going to be the answer. The Topaz I have that came with my Riot had what i'm assuming was 36mm hardware, just wish they had it listed online.

2 wheel drifter
    Quote Originally Posted by Fancy View Post
    Just picked up a Jade for bike park days and need to buy the mounting hardware for it. Canfield lists the sizes on their site as 22mmX8mm and 36mmX8mm, however DVO doesn't seem to offer a 36mm option (closest other option being 35.2 or 37.6).

Anyone have any advice? I'm assuming call DVO is going to be the answer. The Topaz I have that came with my Riot had what i'm assuming was 36mm hardware, just wish they had it listed online.
    The topaz, shipped separately from the frame, came with the hardware in DVO packaging. The dimensions stated on the label was 35.2

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    You are correct it did come separately from the frame, I just don't have the packaging anymore to confirm that was the size they sent me.

Interesting that Canfield lists a different size online than DVO sends out. Everything fit perfectly and I have no issues with play from the hardware on my Topaz technically being under the spec'd size.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Doesn't sound like too much. Preload.

I suspect yes, you are in it for another spring.

Are you bottoming hard/harshly?

I am a bit worried now that I should be ordering a 450 and 500, and not 400 and 450. But then the DB has tunable HSC.
    I wasn't bottoming harshly enough to feel it, but I did feel like the shock was using too much travel on smaller jumps. I haven't yet ridden it on the biggest hits I expect it to take, but I plan on doing so today. I'll update with the results after the ride.

If it's still bottoming frequently, it looks like the Vivid has a form of HSC by being able to replace the bottom out pad with a larger/stiffer pad. I would also think that a dedicated HSC dial should be enough to stop frequent bottom outs as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    IMHO the Riot needs a fine balance of HSC just enough not to blow through travel but too much will make it hang up. Between 190 and 200 I have a decent amount of LSC this helps on drops and stuff. But too much HSC and the rear gets nervous in chatter and chunk.

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    IMHO the Riot needs a fine balance of HSC just enough not to blow through travel but too much will make it hang up. Between 190 and 200 I have a decent amount of LSC this helps on drops and stuff. But too much HSC and the rear gets nervous in chatter and chunk.
    100%. I think that goes with most bikes. Well tuned shock makes a bike.

What sort of sag are you guys running on your coils on the riot? 20-25%? Closer to 30%?
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Adding some additional end stroke rebound seems to have helped reduce bottom outs. I still have some tweaking to do, but the Vivid is feeling pretty good now that I'm not sitting in the end of the travel as much.

If I'm doing my preload correctly, the 450lb spring with a quarter turn additional preload gets me 16mm/28% sag at 165lb, which seems to perform well. However, I could see running a bit less sag for more support.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    100%. I think that goes with most bikes. Well tuned shock makes a bike.

What sort of sag are you guys running on your coils on the riot? 20-25%? Closer to 30%?
    I'm around 30% I'd probably bump that up if I did big jumps but it tech climbs better at 30% hangs a little if I preload the spring too much.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Adding some additional end stroke rebound seems to have helped reduce bottom outs. I still have some tweaking to do, but the Vivid is feeling pretty good now that I'm not sitting in the end of the travel as much.

If I'm doing my preload correctly, the 450lb spring with a quarter turn additional preload gets me 16mm/28% sag at 165lb, which seems to perform well. However, I could see running a bit less sag for more support.
    I'm pretty sure Avalanche tunes that shock. With their tune I can run a good deal of LSC compression and rebound. With out it packing up. Their HSC blow off is good for the chattery stuff but supportive on drops.

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

This is great feedback. I may take the 400 lbs spring off my CCDB order. As we are nearly the same weight, and you are getting 28% with a 450lbs spring, i suspect I would get on well with 450-500. I have been liking my Topaz set up with less sag (20-25%) and running a little more leanier.

But then....what happens when I get rid of this stubborn winter weight? Lol
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    I'm around 30% I'd probably bump that up if I did big jumps but it tech climbs better at 30% hangs a little if I preload the spring too much.
    Interesting feedback. Looking forward to trying. I would have thought because of coil being model linear, people would run less sag.

I have a CCDB and Helm Coil on the way. Looking forward to trying coil on the bike. Haven't had a bike set up like that since the OG Nomad, with a Totem and CCDB
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

2 wheel drifter
    So where is everyone getting the 36x8mm cane creek shock hardware? I'm not seeing it at the usual online retailers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I saw on some DVO Jade specific thread (can't find it for the life of me anymore) that there is a chart out there somewhere on the ole internets with recommendations based on weight for spring weight.. anyone have any insight on what part of the dark web a guy would have to go to in order to gain access to it?

Google has failed me.

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Fox has one on their site.

Googl search for a spring rate calculator. It's based on more than just your weight, fyi.
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    If I remember correctly. The Riots leverage is 2.64 and 2.3 at the last part of the travel. This is needed to use in the calculations.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Fox has one on their site.

Googl search for a spring rate calculator. It's based on more than just your weight, fyi.
    There we go, thats what I was looking for. Lucked out and guesstimated the right spring rate confirmed by the Fox calc. Holy cannoli that takes in a lot of factors. Left everything that was above my head at the default, but its probably fine.

There is also a starting position chart for reference on the DVO site for the other factors that I will be using. Thanks for all your help everybody!!

I'm with stupid
    Im running the Inline coil. It feels pretty good. I did have to add a half a turn of HSC to try to get rid of a few harsh bottom outs.

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Im running the Inline coil. It feels pretty good. I did have to add a half a turn of HSC to try to get rid of a few harsh bottom outs.
    Curious what setting you are using?

When you say add half a turn, you mean to the 2.0 settings from Factory, or from fully open.

I have a CCDB coil, and I wound mine back to 1 turn from open and quickly found myself back to 2 from open as I was bottoming hard! Wondering if I will end up adding more!

I'm about 165 lbs with gear, give or take. 450lbs spring,nearly 25% sag in attack. Wondering perhaps if I should step up to 500lbs.
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot