mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Riot bearing service

Has anyone broken down the links on their Riot and done bearing service? My Riot has developed the most annoying creaking coming from the links. I equate it to a really muddy ride I had this past winter and the washing that took place following the ride. I just want to know what the service is like? Do I need a bearing push/pull or can it all be done without removal?

Thanks for any input.

Help I've Fallen
    I would call Canfield Bros, they have awesome customer service.
    2016 Canfield Bros EPO
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower
    2013 Niner S.I.R. 9 SS

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    will do.

Unit 91
    I've done it before and had a few less than ideal bearings, but no stuck bearings. I carefully pulled the seals off them, cleaned/cycled them with a mixture of PB blaster and speed clean until they rolled smooth. Then pack them 1/2-3/4 full with fresh grease (like slick honey), pushed the seals back in and gave them a few rotations. They felt good after that. I try to disassemble everything at least once a year to avoid any larger issues.

If you have any stuck bearings, I would replace them. A bearing puller and press is the best tool, but it can be done with them.
    Bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    After looking at consumable replacement parts there is only the two 15mm bearings and the rest are pivot bolts. I sent a message to customer service to see what they say. Regardless, I'll probably spend my Friday night trying to get rid of the sound.

Unit 91
    Do you check your bolt tightness regularly?
    Bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    first step always in dis-assembly, cleaning, inspecting and re-greasing. Its amazing the places creaks reverberate from. Sometimes they lead you in the other direction but starting with individual components and isolating things 1 at a time. Let us know your findings!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I took all the pivots apart last night. I didnt remove any bearings but checked each one to make sure it rotated smoothly. I cleaned up all the mating faces of the pivots and put a little bit of grease on the pivot bolts. I bounced around on the bike last night and it was quiet. I wont know for sure if I got the exact sound out that I was hoping for until my next ride.

The sound Im hunting for is recreated when I push the wheel from side to side just above the seat stays. It makes a small creak and popping noise. Im hoping I got it last night by disassembling, cleaning, regreasing, and tightening everything back up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    took my linkages aparts last night. most of the bearings apeared dry. greased them up real good. worked the grease into the bearings. seal up. assemble back. took me about 2 hours. real smooth now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    More of an FYI for anyone that is looking to do this.

The upper pivot links are direction specific even though the shape is completely symmetrical. How far the bearing sits into its seat is what makes each side unique. If put in backwards, the pivot bolts will not go in as far as intended.

The markings to tell the direction is "forward-rt" and "forward-lt" and is written around the front pivot bearing of each link.

mtbr member
    I just did this service last week on my riot. And was blown away on how easy it was. My old stumpys were a pain in the ass to do this on. And now I'm back to having a quite happy riot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk