mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Cool-blue Rhythm Revive Dropper Length for Medium 2016 Balance

I'm pretty much sold on the 160mm BikeYoke Revive for my medium 2016 Balance but am a bit concerned about the sharp angle the remote lever cable may take once the dropper is slammed to the frame. The 160 claims a 202mm frame-to-rail length, which is pretty much spot on for my ideal climbing/cruising height. However, the part of the dropper tube which is inserted into the frame is listed as 265mm...giving the lever cable, give or take, about 10mm to make a 90degree angle and exit the frame at the internal cable housing.

Does anyone have any experience with the 160 Revive on a medium Balance? I could always go with the 125 and have about 35mm of the dropper tube being exposed at the collar...but I like the idea of the seat being completely slammed and out of the way for the downs

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I'm on large Riot, so not apples to apples, but two comments that might be relevant.

1. The revive is fantastic. Long term I have high hopes, but a few months on a 160 have been fantastic. Makes the Reverb feel like a toy.

2. More drop isn't always better, I've found. Going from 125 to 160, I do appreciate the lower seat when doing stupid things, but often I'm finding that extra 35mm of drop compromises my riding position just a bit... I'm closer to the bars, closer to the pedals, sitting very upright and not able to pedal well. For the riding between the drops and the jumps where the terrain is still technical and the seat stays down, 125 was actually a little nicer. With a shorter inseam on a medium, this effect might be more or.less noticable...not sure.

2 wheel drifter
    Also not apples to apples, but I have a 185mm revive on a medium Riot with no issues. It's running about 285mm from seatpost collar to frame rails. I can't tell you offhand how deep it is in the frame, although I can measure out a rough estimate if that would be helpful.

On the 125 vs. longer stroke, I had a 125mm gravity dropper previously (and on all my other bikes). I'd agree with Glen, 125mm is fine for most riding but there is unquestionably a benefit of to the longer stroke on really big hits, but for most riding the 125 was great. The Balance is set up for more aggressive riding and having the capacity to use your body for a few more inches of suspension can be pretty important. The revive locks well at any height, unlike the gravity dropper, and I do find that I frequently lower it to less than the full 185mm drop.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenngineer View Post
    2. More drop isn't always better, I've found. Going from 125 to 160, I do appreciate the lower seat when doing stupid things, but often I'm finding that extra 35mm of drop compromises my riding position just a bit...
    if only someone made a post you could put part-way down...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    9.8 Fall Line will lock at any drop. The Balance has been perfect with the 175. But the Riot could use the 200. Riding very aggressive trails the seat is just a little too high. Havenít felt that with Balance. Both large size and I have kinda long legs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rone Turner View Post
    9.8 Fall Line will lock at any drop.
    so will almost every other post on the market. Does anyone not know that?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    My ass isn't finely calibrated enough to find the magic height when I'm fighting for my life in the chunder.

mtbr member
    I don't have a Revive, but I do have a 170mm OneUp on a medium Balance. It has 245mm exposed from the end of the seatpost tube to the mid point of the rails. I am a proportionate 5'9" with a 31 pants inseam.

And to echo Glenn, the Reverb sucks compared to a OneUp as well.

mtbr member
    To answer OP's question...

You could run the cable out of the bottom of the seat tube instead of through the hole in the side. I believe you'll find if you remove the shock and cycle the suspension that there's plenty of room between the link and the end of the seat tube at bottom out - at least there is on the Riot.

If you're sure the post isn't too long, and the cable is the only issue.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Joules...you bring up a good point, I never even thought about the possibility of running the cable out of the bottom of the seat tube if I can't get enough clearance to go through the internal dropper hole.

Knowing that I have options now, I decided to go with the 160 Revive and feel I'll be able to make it work one way or another. Now I hope there will be sufficient clearance between the saddle and rear tire during full suspension compression/slammed saddle. I'll report back once I get the dropper in my hands

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Revive Dropper Length for Medium 2016 Balance

Quote Originally Posted by Pb-2-Au View Post
    Joules...you bring up a good point, I never even thought about the possibility of running the cable out of the bottom of the seat tube if I can't get enough clearance to go through the internal dropper hole.

Knowing that I have options now, I decided to go with the 160 Revive and feel I'll be able to make it work one way or another. Now I hope there will be sufficient clearance between the saddle and rear tire during full suspension compression/slammed saddle. I'll report back once I get the dropper in my hands
    I am running a 185 revive on a medium Balance with only a few cm of post exposed. I am able to get away with a the actual dropper port routing in the seat tube but I have previously routed the cable straight out of the bottom of the post.

Great seat post! You wonít be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I installed the 160 Revive on my medium Balance today and I'm happy to report that it can be slammed completely down to the seatpost clamp utilizing the internal dropper hole! I'm not sure exactly how much room I had to play with, but even with the post slammed the trigger and post worked flawlessly...I'd imagine there are not any major kinks in the cable that one would have to be concerned about.

There was a bit of a spongy feel to the post out of the box and thought great...I'll have to bleed the post just like my Reverb. Then I remembered I can just release the air out of the dropper with the Revive valve...bingo works to perfection. This post is already outshining the Reverb I have on my other rig! Awesome dropper!