mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Review - Nimble 9 vs. Yelli Screamy

So I see a lot of threads on here with people asking about how these two bikes compare to one another (since I was trying to decide which one I wanted- I read through most of them). After selling both my mountain bikes (Salsa Spearfish 2 and Special Ed Rockhopper SS) I am fortunate enough to have been able to build one of each of them in the last few months, and I have to say I was SHOCKED at how different these two bikes feel, behave, and perform on the trail.

Disclaimer: I run the Nimble as a SS and the Yelli geared. I have run the Nimble at 100mm and 140mm, but for the sake of comparison, I will compare the Nimble 140, since that's how the Yelli is also equipped. The Nimble does have a slightly better wheelset (I9 laced to Stan's ArchEX) when compared with the Yelli (Formula hubs laced to Stan's Arch), and I realize that will affect some of my review. Another part of the disclaimer is that the riding here in PA is very diverse. We have fast and flowy, rocky and rooty, big ups, big downs, you name it. Which I feel makes for a good testing ground for bikes.

The Nimble seems much quicker to get up to speed. This could be partially due to the lighter wheels and the reduced drive train drag since it's single speed and doesn't have a chain guide like the Yelli.

The Nimble feels a little more playful at slower speeds, mostly due to the quick poppy acceleration. Overall I feel like the Nimble 9 is really fun at low and high speeds, and does VERY well in the twisty turny sections, and at climbing and descending. While the Yelli is by no means sluggish, it isn't as "fun" or "playful" as the Nimble at slow speeds. But that's not what I built the Yelli for... chainguide, flat pedals, 785mm bars, 50mm stem... I had more aggressive riding in mind with this build. When you pick up speed, or when you point the Yelli downhill, it screams (wakawaka) to life and is scary fun. The Yelli descends even more confidently than the Nimble, and I feel like this bike could get me in trouble. Example: there is a loose downhill rock garden on a trail I ride regularly. I typically average about 15 mph through there when I look at my GPS. That's on the N9. Tonight I hit that section on the yelli and averaged 21 mph. Pretty huge increase. And the scary thing was I didn't feel any more "out there" than I do on the N9 at 15 mph. This bike is crazy rigid and sturdy. It is also still scary nimble through the tight twisty areas.

My overall impression is this: The Nimble 9 is a better all around bike. The steel really does a good job of muting the trail chatter. It's fun to ride all out, up hill downhill, or slow picking apart rock gardens. It is very quick handling and confident in turns, downhill, in the air, etc... This bike rewards a multitude of riding styles.

The Yelli however, is a complete animal. It is a much better trail bike. The aluminum isn't rough, although it is pretty stiff in all the right places, allowing you to really throw the bike around aggressively. It LOVES air, railing turns, plowing through rock gardens, tight twisties etc... but it is meant to be ridden FAST.

In summary - These are both amazing bikes and, despite their similar geometry, I feel like they are two very drastically different bikes. As to which one is better, I suppose that depends on how you want to ride it. If you want a bike you can go very quick on, like an XC bike, but that is still super confident with more aggressive stuff, the Nimble might be for you. If you want a scary fast, self shuttling downhill bike (to coin a descriptor another member on here used for his Yelli), the Yelli is the better bike. Just depends on your riding style and goals. Bottom line is I'll keep both, as I don't feel there is as much overlap between the two as I suspected there would be. While there are some trails I love each bike on, there are some trails I would take the Yelli on every time, and some I would take the Nimble on every time.

Anyone who has ridden both, please feel free to argue differently, as I am really surprised I felt this way about both of these bikes.

And some photos of each build:

Nimble 9:

YelliScreamy:

Hope this helps someone make a decision at some point...

AOK
    mtbr member

Nice write up!

I had a gen 1 N9 and now have a Yelli and have had some of the same thoughts. I have even considered selling the Yelli and going back to a N9 because the N9 seemed more versatile and a better fit for my riding.

Love the term "self shuttling" (whoever coined it) - will have to remember that one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    goddamit now I want an XC based N9 to go with my trailsy Yelli. You're not helping!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Hahaha. Glad to be of service. Lol

Fwiw I am running the N9 with a Reba RL at 100 mm and it makes a freaking awesome XC bike. Although I still hit jumps and the like with it just fine.
    Last edited by pointerDixie214; 11-16-2013 at 05:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Love both builds.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    very much liking the look of the black N9. If anyone in the UK's selling a medium N9, get in touch with me.

I run my Yelli at 120mm but the forks need a service and were sticking at 100mm, it handled well, I can't say I missed the 20mm for my local (Surrey Hills) riding.

PA backcountry looks nice.

Hope this helps someone make a decision at some point...

Yeah, get one of each!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ghetto View Post
    goddamit now I want an XC based N9 to go with my trailsy Yelli. You're not helping!
    And I'm having a little buyers remorse, feeling like I shoulda splurged for a N9 instead of the Unit frame I just bought!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by So Cal RX View Post
    And I'm having a little buyers remorse, feeling like I shoulda splurged for a N9 instead of the Unit frame I just bought!
    Unit, although vastly different than these geometries, is still a sweet sweet bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by So Cal RX View Post
    Should've bought a Honzo.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Nice builds pointerDixie!! I thought those cranks looked familiar on the Yelli Looks like the Yelli turned out great (much better than mine)! That's a helluva pair of Canfields to have! ENJOY!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for this comparison review, I'm currently agonizing over which frame I want. The N9 is better suited to my single speed intentions for the bike, but I just can't get over the 2 pound weight savings on the Yelli. I'm no weight weenie, but that's a big difference. And I do like steel, but he way the N9 is built up to allow the short chain stays, I wouldn't have thought there'd be much flex left.

Why do you think the Yelli descends so much better?

I would've thought that with their nearly identical geometry, they'd handle the same. [The biggest difference to my mind is the weight savings on the Yelli, but I wouldn't think that would make a difference for descending.]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Furdaddy View Post
    The N9 is better suited to my single speed intentions for the bike, but I just can't get over the 2 pound weight savings on the Yelli. I'm no weight weenie, but that's a big difference.
    I would've thought that with their nearly identical geometry, they'd handle the same.
    I was in the same boat recently. I was coming off a gen 1 N9 which I loved. Good weight and single speed with a 120mm fork. I was trying to decide between a gen 2 N9 and a Yelli. Even though I prefer single speed I went with the Yelli. I could not look past the 2.5 lb weight difference. I have not ridden a g2 N9, but I am guessing it is a fairly stiff steel frame since the g1 was stiffer. The Yelli is super stiff, but in a good way. I can't quite put my finger on it, but the two frames do ride differently. I would expect them to be the same, but they are not. I do agree that the Yelli descends better too.
    As of now I have a slight case of buyers remorse. I am converting the YS to single speed. I prefer riding the chunkier trails on single speed. I would potentially consider a frame trade for a L or XL gen 2 N9. I have the black chrome YS.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally Posted by socalfyre View Post
    Nice builds pointerDixie!! I thought those cranks looked familiar on the Yelli Looks like the Yelli turned out great (much better than mine)! That's a helluva pair of Canfields to have! ENJOY!
    Ha. Thanks. Cranks were in awesome shape. Love em.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Furdaddy View Post
    Thanks for this comparison review, I'm currently agonizing over which frame I want. The N9 is better suited to my single speed intentions for the bike, but I just can't get over the 2 pound weight savings on the Yelli. I'm no weight weenie, but that's a big difference. And I do like steel, but he way the N9 is built up to allow the short chain stays, I wouldn't have thought there'd be much flex left.

Why do you think the Yelli descends so much better?

I would've thought that with their nearly identical geometry, they'd handle the same. [The biggest difference to my mind is the weight savings on the Yelli, but I wouldn't think that would make a difference for descending.]
    The N9, despite the weight, rides lighter. I know that sounds funny. But it does.

I think the Yelli descends better because it is even stiffer than the already stiff N9. That's all I could figure.

EDIT: I should add that the difference in descent confidence isn't extreme. It's just noticeable. Both are VERY capable in rough downhill situations. Before I had the Yelli, the N9 was by far the most confident descending bike and the stiffest bike in rough stuff I had owned. So it's hardly flimsy or timid.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for everyones posts even though I have really only been looking at getting a new steel frame. For whatever reason I have not even considered aluminum. This has been a slow process but threads like this one are helping me a lot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I've run my Yelli SS (using a Surly Singulator), it went well. There's no good reason not to if folks are tempted to try.

Given how burly the Yelli is built I've never quite understood why the N9 is that much heavier.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Darn it this is hard just between these 2 not including the handful of other excellent options with similar geometry. Any more people that have ridden both? I wish I had some experience with aluminum for reference.

I could save $100.00 and 2 pounds very tempting.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GS Spirit View Post
    Darn it this is hard just between these 2 not including the handful of other excellent options with similar geometry. Any more people that have ridden both? I wish I had some experience with aluminum for reference.

I could save $100.00 and 2 pounds very tempting.
    What kind of trails do you ride? What kind of rider are you? The Yelli is noticeably more stiff (and rough) as a frame. Of course the 140mm fork and some big tires really help.

I feel like both these bikes were meant for Ardent 2.4 tires. lol

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I ride a little of everything by that I mean all sorts of trails here in Colorado. I am not sure how hard or easy they are as I am just getting into it. I do ride gnar technical single track trails on my dirt bike, as hard as I can find. I am always pushing myself to do the next thing that challenges me. I only want to own one bike that is set up to excel at having a playful nature like picking the line that catches air etc. I am drawn towards steel because that is the only kind of bikes that I have owned going back to my BMX days. Partly my mind is already made up on that even though they way more. I need to do some more test rides but most of the bikes I am looking at are not in the shops here but I will make an effort to look a little harder.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

If I had to choose one I would go N9 just for the versatility. Easier to SS and can run gears. And Steel.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I am leaning that way too because it will be used for everything. There are a few other bikes in the running as well with similar geometry and steel. It is cool that you get the chance to really see the differences between the two in varied terrein having both.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

The thing I wonder about for the people that have both is the finish as fragile on the yelli as the paint is on N9?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by ferros View Post
    The thing I wonder about for the people that have both is the finish as fragile on the yelli as the paint is on N9?
    The finish on the yelli is tough!! It takes a beating.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally Posted by ferros View Post
    I can't speak to that too much. Mainly because my N9 hasn't gotten any chips or anything either.

Maybe the flat black N9 has better paint? Not sure. Yelli definitely has good paint though. One ride was before I remembered to put on a chain stay protector (aka tube) and I got some chain slap. Not a scratch.

mtbr member
    The Gen2 N9 is powder coated not painted.

AOK
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    I was in the same boat recently. I was coming off a gen 1 N9 which I loved. Good weight and single speed with a 120mm fork. I was trying to decide between a gen 2 N9 and a Yelli. Even though I prefer single speed I went with the Yelli. I could not look past the 2.5 lb weight difference. I have not ridden a g2 N9, but I am guessing it is a fairly stiff steel frame since the g1 was stiffer. The Yelli is super stiff, but in a good way. I can't quite put my finger on it, but the two frames do ride differently. I would expect them to be the same, but they are not. I do agree that the Yelli descends better too.
    As of now I have a slight case of buyers remorse. I am converting the YS to single speed. I prefer riding the chunkier trails on single speed. I would potentially consider a frame trade for a L or XL gen 2 N9. I have the black chrome YS.
    Wow.. You sound just like me. I had a G1 Nimble then sold it and got a YS. The YS is a great bike, but I have missed my N9.

Just received a G2 N9 frame today that I picked up used. Once I get it built, I guess I will find out first hand which I prefer.

One thing about the G2 Nimble, it is not lightweight. My size large frame is 7.4 lbs! Heavier than many of the FS 29er frames I have owned. Good thing I'm not a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I never had the chance to ride the N9 v2 but I have the V1 and the Yelli.
    I see the things a little different.
    For me the N9 is the best SS Rigid bike, very good for long and calm rides.
    The Yelli is faster, lighter and there is much more FUN factor in it.
    If I will have to choose it gonna be hard, I love them both.
    Last edited by esku; 12-03-2013 at 02:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by esku View Post
    I never had the chance to ride the N9 v2 but I have the V1 and the Yelli.
    I see the things a little different.
    For me the N9 is the best SS Rigid bike, very good for long and calm rides.
    The Yelli is faster, lighter and much more FUN factor in it.
    If I will have to choose it gonna be hard, I love them both.
    I can't say exactly, since I never rode a Gen 1 N9... but I think the Gen 2 is way more closely related to the Yelli than the Gen 1, which was basically purely an XC bike.

Although you are still correct... the Yelli is MUCH lighter on the scale. Just doesn't feel it when you're riding.

God help me if I ever have to choose. I suppose I would choose the N9 only because it is by far the funnest SS frame I have ever ridden... and there are loads of geared frames in the AM HT genre...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I think you did a stem length comparison, not a frame comparison. It would be more interesting to see the comparison using the same bar/stem setup on both bikes. I bet they come out riding pretty damn similar.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by El Train View Post
    I think you did a stem length comparison, not a frame comparison. It would be more interesting to see the comparison using the same bar/stem setup on both bikes. I bet they come out riding pretty damn similar.
    I think they would ride more similar than they do now, you are correct. But I still think they would have a different feel to them. Bar width is actually similar now. 720 on the N9 and 750 on the Yelli. Stem on Yelli is 50 and stem on N9 is 90.... BUT the N9 has a setback seatpost and a shorter ETT so they are about the same with this set up.

Although this could make for a fun experiment this weekend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    Wow.. You sound just like me. I had a G1 Nimble then sold it and got a YS. The YS is a great bike, but I have missed my N9.

Just received a G2 N9 frame today that I picked up used. Once I get it built, I guess I will find out first hand which I prefer.

One thing about the G2 Nimble, it is not lightweight. My size large frame is 7.4 lbs! Heavier than many of the FS 29er frames I have owned. Good thing I'm not a weight weenie.
    I actually just set the YS up as a single speed. It's awesome as a single speed. I went with 32 x 20 with a half link chain. I hardly need the tensioner I am using. I rode it on my favorite local chunk last weekend. This bike rocks as a single speed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    Stem on Yelli is 50 and stem on N9 is 90....
    50mm vs 90mm stem makes a huge difference going downhill!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by savo View Post
    50mm vs 90mm stem makes a huge difference going downhill!
    Well then I guess I better swap to do an experiment.

Although the TT on the N9 already feels a little short to me (hence the setback and the 90mm), can't imagine the 50mm helping that.

I would be interested if the Bros chimed in to hear their thoughts on this. Am I crazy? Are there others with this same assessment? Was that intentional?

I am just very pleasantly surprised by how different these bikes (maybe it is my set up) feel. Was worried it wouldn't provide enough variety in the stable for me, but I don't think that's the case.

mtbr member
    As far as the 90mm vs the 50mm.

My experience on the frames is more with 70mm vs 50mm.

Little background,
    I've been riding them with 70mm stems for the last few years. Felt it was a great balance between going up and down.

Then this summer Sean had our new Gen2 N9 setup with a 50mm stem. On my first ride I was not able to get on with it. It felt too far off the back on the climbs, and in the corners I was pushing a bit- (sliding the front tire out).

Next ride was on Lance's Gen1 N9 with a 70mm. Felt right a home again. Easy to do the jumps, easy to climb, and normal on the climbs. So, I'm talked to Sean about coaching our customers on setting up their frames with 70mm stems for the best all around feel.

Then of course, I ended up riding the Gen2 with the 50mm stem a lot more. Got comfortable with the setup. I was able to lean much more on the bars, without feeling like I would OTB, which weighted the front tire just right for the corners. And what I found is that it rode super close to my DH setup. Close enough that I prefer it now, but only recommend it to a DHer. Because of the climbing is a bit off the back. But I can beat Sean on his Jedi on our daily ride on Galbi in B-ham, and hit all the jumps. Or I can take my hardtail down flying Monkey in Virgin UT (which I don't recommend, hairball for sure).

Really turns the bike into the "Self shuttling Downhill machine". (Love that BTW)

But if you are the type of rider that is not jumping or pinning DH tracks with your hardtail- Stick to the 70mm stem.

As for the 90mm stem- I would tell you to sell your frame and buy the next size up, and put a 70mm stem on it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cSquared View Post
    As for the 90mm stem- I would tell you to sell your frame and buy the next size up, and put a 70mm stem on it.
    Hmm. Interesting. Is that based on a 720+ wide bar? Now I already would be riding the XL. I ride a XL Trek Sawyer with a 660 bar and 90mm stem and a 100mm fox. The cockpit is just about perfect (for the moment) but I've been eyeing up the N9 because I like steel bikes and geometry that is slacker and less XC racer.

I'm not fit expert, but the reach on the N9 is more than a cm shorter than the YS and my Trek. What is the purpose of the N9 having less reach than the YS? Am I way over thinking the geometry changes? I don't expect a trail geometry bike to be the same; however, the XL YS reach is almost identical to my Trek.

mtbr member
    I run at least a 760+ on all my bikes now. I could do maybe a 740, but that's my limit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Maybe I'll try a 70mm on the N9. I am sure I have one lying around. I rode a large and didn't like how big it felt.

That's what she said.

mtbr member
    My comparison between the two was the exact same parts hung on both frames. After a few rides I upgraded the fork to a tapered 140mm. With a 140 the YS rips down the hills. The front end did wander a bit on climbs. Since its a single speed now that's not an issue anymore.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cSquared View Post
    And what I found is that it rode super close to my DH setup. Close enough that I prefer it now, but only recommend it to a DHer. Because of the climbing is a bit off the back.
    My background is very much XC related, and I switched to a DH style cock pit this year for all around trail riding on my Yelli. I kept a 690 bar/90mm stem on hand if I ever wanted to go back... I never will.

The 50mm stem and 700mm bars are staying put (east coast riding with narrow tree trails won't go wider). The added confidence on the sketch ball descents is amazing. I was able to drop dudes on f/s bikes with ease (which is a relative thing I'm very aware).

I wish I had tried this years ago. FWIW, XC nerds that can adapt could potentially enjoy a DH set up... The climbing is for sure a bit off the back but since I'm 1X any way I'm off the saddle on the steep stuff any way. I'm NOT an air seeking rider, but I suppose I do like to attack downhills as much as possible. The short stem makes Pisgah trail riding a bit more manageable.
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I ride 50/750 for XC and trail riding, even racing, on my Yelli. I don't see a downside.

One bike to rule them all!

mtbr member
    I'd buy an N9 right now except I don't like how they don't specify the frame material other than 4130. How heavy is it? If they offered it in Reynolds 853 or some other nice heat treated chromoly I'd pay twice the price.

I might just get Waltworks to make me something similar with a nice tubeset.

AOK
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I'd buy an N9 right now except I don't like how they don't specify the frame material other than 4130. How heavy is it?
    Not light. See my post above for the weight of a large N9 frame.

mtbr member
    Yeah, the N9 isn't a weight weenie, but I have no concerns about beating the hell out of my N9.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I'd buy an N9 right now except I don't like how they don't specify the frame material other than 4130. How heavy is it? If they offered it in Reynolds 853 or some other nice heat treated chromoly I'd pay twice the price.

I might just get Waltworks to make me something similar with a nice tubeset.
    Unless a Gen1 Nimble shows up used in my size, I am likely doing the same thing.

mtbr member
    For you folks who have had the privilege of riding both the YS and the N9, which one is a better endurance machine? Here in western NC we have miles and miles of technical singletrack with big downhills and steep climbing. We also have alot of gravel that must be grinded to get from trail to trail. I want to build an endurance race bike but cant stand the thought of a XC bike with 100mm stem on the downhills. If you were building a bike to go the distance on (40+ milers), all while still ripping steep/rocky downhills...which one would you choose?

Same setup i.e. 140mm fork, 50-60mm stem, 740mm bars.

Im leaning toward Yelli but only because of the weight...

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

I don't know. Yelli has the weight advantage but steel on the Nimble might be more comfy for the long rides.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

The Bros

Finally got some pics of my Canfield Bros side by side. Pardon the ice-storm damaged willow tree in the bg.

First race of the season this weekend... it's an endurance race so I'll be riding BOTH of them in it since I couldn't decide.

God I love these bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Great looking bikes! Which one climbs better? If I were to run gears would these be sit and spin bikes, or do you need to be in attack mode and stand a lot of the time?

The White Jeff W
    I can do either on my Yelli. I prefer sit & spin but if I get caught with my pants down in too hard of a gear it does fine standing. Sitting its pretty easy to find the sweet spot where you weight the rear tire enough that it gets a good bite but will still keep the front from lifting.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jpo1 View Post
    Great looking bikes! Which one climbs better? If I were to run gears would these be sit and spin bikes, or do you need to be in attack mode and stand a lot of the time?
    They both climb great. Obviously the Nimble9 at 100mm vs. 140mm and a little longer stem has a slight advantage since the front stays more planted, but they both do fine sitting or standing. I usually climb the Nimble standing just so I can push the gear. I alternate on the Yelli.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    They both climb great. Obviously the Nimble9 at 100mm vs. 140mm and a little longer stem has a slight advantage since the front stays more planted, but they both do fine sitting or standing. I usually climb the Nimble standing just so I can push the gear. I alternate on the Yelli.
    Thats what I was hoping to hear. I want one of these bikes, scratch that, I need one.

mtbr member
    I dig the reviews ,but not the gata colors

ps johnD from FS.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnFL View Post
    I dig the reviews ,but not the gata colors

ps johnD from FS.
    LOL That's ok John. Not everyone's colorblind to the point they dig crimson and gold. As our favorite FL congresswoman would say, Go Gator.

BTW- Last night I finally got the Nimble 9 out again. Damn that bike is fun too, just a different kind of fun than the Yelli. I'm sure a lot of it is 70mm stem on N9 vs. 50mm stem on Yelli, and 100mm travel on N9 vs 140 on Yelli. But wow.

I love the steel. And the shorter travel and resulting slightly steeper HTA makes this bike very, well, Nimble. And quick.

Managed just under 10 miles with 1,000 feet of up before we ran out of light. I left with a huge smile on my face like always.

I've usually always kept 2 mountain bikes. A single speed and an XC or Trail bike. Lately I've been wanting to build a FS in either 26 or 27.5. Every time a new build has happened in the past, one of my current bikes hit the chopping block. This is the first time that won't happen. Just gonna have to save up for the FS bike because neither of these are going anywhere.

mtbr member
    LOL That's ok John. Not everyone's colorblind to the point they dig crimson and gold.
    lol !

badass bikes bro... i'm looking to get a screamy in the future.

take it easy up there

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    lol !

badass bikes bro... i'm looking to get a screamy in the future.

take it easy up there
    Ha. You too down there.

Assuming you ride Tom Brown a bit? I used to be in sales and I covered from Ocala to Tally. Never had a day I didn't have the bike in the car.

mtbr member
    Ha. You too down there.

Assuming you ride Tom Brown a bit? I used to be in sales and I covered from Ocala to Tally. Never had a day I didn't have the bike in the car.
    nope , carter road , alafia and balm boyette. I'm on the northwest side of lakeland near I-4 and highway 98.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    nope , carter road , alafia and balm boyette. I'm on the northwest side of lakeland near I-4 and highway 98.
    Oh wow alright, assumed you might be in Tally. Alafia and Boyette are pretty dang fun too!

I never rode Carter Road while we lived down there. My brother lives in Temple Terrace and is just getting into the MTB. Trying to convince him to get a Yelli. He rides Alafia and Boyette a lot now, and Morris Bridge I think he calls it?, and I think is heading to Carter this weekend...

mtbr member
    I'll send a pm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Hey pointerDixie214, I don't know if anyone has mentioned this already, but in your first post/review you talk about the Yelli descending better. I'm thinking this is due to the Yelli's slightly longer chainstays giving it more stability. From what I can tell your dropouts are all the way forward on your Nimble 9. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jpo1 View Post
    Hey pointerDixie214, I don't know if anyone has mentioned this already, but in your first post/review you talk about the Yelli descending better. I'm thinking this is due to the Yelli's slightly longer chainstays giving it more stability. From what I can tell your dropouts are all the way forward on your Nimble 9. Thoughts?
    This is entirely possible, so I won't dispute it.

The chain on the Nimble has stretched a little now so the chainstays on each bike are fairly similar. But it's still not apples to apples since I have 40mm more travel, 40mm less stem, and almost 2* slacker HTA on the Yelli.

Bottom line though is I am still smitten with both of these bikes. I REALLY want to build up a Santa Cruz 5010 or a Kona Process 134, but I would have to sell one of these to free up funds. I can't part with either of them, so I am going to save up for a year or so so I don't have to get rid of either of these. I have NEVER had two bikes I loved so much that I couldn't convince myself to part with either for a new build.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    This is entirely possible, so I won't dispute it.

The chain on the Nimble has stretched a little now so the chainstays on each bike are fairly similar. But it's still not apples to apples since I have 40mm more travel, 40mm less stem, and almost 2* slacker HTA on the Yelli.

Bottom line though is I am still smitten with both of these bikes. I REALLY want to build up a Santa Cruz 5010 or a Kona Process 134, but I would have to sell one of these to free up funds. I can't part with either of them, so I am going to save up for a year or so so I don't have to get rid of either of these. I have NEVER had two bikes I loved so much that I couldn't convince myself to part with either for a new build.
    I see, I'm trying to justify to myself the Nimble 9 II is a steel version of the Yelli. I just don't want to miss out on the great descending prowess the Yelli has. Sounds like if you sold one you would kick yourself.

You could save money and split the difference between the 5010 and the Kona Process and get the Bantam. Same Geo as the 5010 and single pivot like the Process and I'm sure equally durable.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Cross Post from the Nimble9 Build Thread

I can cross post onto my own thread without feeling bad.

Finally took some more shots of Mrs. Nimble9. She sure likes it dirty, but she cleans up nice too. I freaking LOVE this bike. Just a quicky tonight, but 7.5 miles and 1,000+ feet of up in 55 minutes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BlakeOrange View Post
    55 minutes is quite a record.
    HAHA Maybe not for some. But for my winter-softened arse it's a good run. lol

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I wrote that last November. Now I have an N9 on order. The Yelli, probably, stays.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

I wrote that last November. Now I have an N9 on order. The Yelli, probably, stays.
    Haha. You will not regret it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I don't think so. Current plan is to try the N9 at 100mm Rebas SS, put gears on my Yelli and wham it up to 130mm from the current 120mm Revs.

I'll report back in due course. I'm waiting for the N9 to get over here to the UK from the new 2014 shipment.

I've been pondering an N9 for a while, it was seeing a Chrome in the metal that closed the deal for me. Have had my Yelli for a year, love it.