Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    AOK
    mtbr member

Review - Nimble 9 vs. Yelli Screamy

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    I was in the same boat recently. I was coming off a gen 1 N9 which I loved. Good weight and single speed with a 120mm fork. I was trying to decide between a gen 2 N9 and a Yelli. Even though I prefer single speed I went with the Yelli. I could not look past the 2.5 lb weight difference. I have not ridden a g2 N9, but I am guessing it is a fairly stiff steel frame since the g1 was stiffer. The Yelli is super stiff, but in a good way. I can't quite put my finger on it, but the two frames do ride differently. I would expect them to be the same, but they are not. I do agree that the Yelli descends better too.
    As of now I have a slight case of buyers remorse. I am converting the YS to single speed. I prefer riding the chunkier trails on single speed. I would potentially consider a frame trade for a L or XL gen 2 N9. I have the black chrome YS.
    Wow.. You sound just like me. I had a G1 Nimble then sold it and got a YS. The YS is a great bike, but I have missed my N9.

Just received a G2 N9 frame today that I picked up used. Once I get it built, I guess I will find out first hand which I prefer.

One thing about the G2 Nimble, it is not lightweight. My size large frame is 7.4 lbs! Heavier than many of the FS 29er frames I have owned. Good thing I'm not a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I never had the chance to ride the N9 v2 but I have the V1 and the Yelli.
    I see the things a little different.
    For me the N9 is the best SS Rigid bike, very good for long and calm rides.
    The Yelli is faster, lighter and there is much more FUN factor in it.
    If I will have to choose it gonna be hard, I love them both.
    Last edited by esku; 12-03-2013 at 01:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by esku View Post
    I never had the chance to ride the N9 v2 but I have the V1 and the Yelli.
    I see the things a little different.
    For me the N9 is the best SS Rigid bike, very good for long and calm rides.
    The Yelli is faster, lighter and much more FUN factor in it.
    If I will have to choose it gonna be hard, I love them both.
    I can't say exactly, since I never rode a Gen 1 N9... but I think the Gen 2 is way more closely related to the Yelli than the Gen 1, which was basically purely an XC bike.

Although you are still correct... the Yelli is MUCH lighter on the scale. Just doesn't feel it when you're riding.

God help me if I ever have to choose. I suppose I would choose the N9 only because it is by far the funnest SS frame I have ever ridden... and there are loads of geared frames in the AM HT genre...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I think you did a stem length comparison, not a frame comparison. It would be more interesting to see the comparison using the same bar/stem setup on both bikes. I bet they come out riding pretty damn similar.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by El Train View Post
    I think you did a stem length comparison, not a frame comparison. It would be more interesting to see the comparison using the same bar/stem setup on both bikes. I bet they come out riding pretty damn similar.
    I think they would ride more similar than they do now, you are correct. But I still think they would have a different feel to them. Bar width is actually similar now. 720 on the N9 and 750 on the Yelli. Stem on Yelli is 50 and stem on N9 is 90.... BUT the N9 has a setback seatpost and a shorter ETT so they are about the same with this set up.

Although this could make for a fun experiment this weekend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    Wow.. You sound just like me. I had a G1 Nimble then sold it and got a YS. The YS is a great bike, but I have missed my N9.

Just received a G2 N9 frame today that I picked up used. Once I get it built, I guess I will find out first hand which I prefer.

One thing about the G2 Nimble, it is not lightweight. My size large frame is 7.4 lbs! Heavier than many of the FS 29er frames I have owned. Good thing I'm not a weight weenie.
    I actually just set the YS up as a single speed. It's awesome as a single speed. I went with 32 x 20 with a half link chain. I hardly need the tensioner I am using. I rode it on my favorite local chunk last weekend. This bike rocks as a single speed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    Stem on Yelli is 50 and stem on N9 is 90....
    50mm vs 90mm stem makes a huge difference going downhill!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by savo View Post
    50mm vs 90mm stem makes a huge difference going downhill!
    Well then I guess I better swap to do an experiment.

Although the TT on the N9 already feels a little short to me (hence the setback and the 90mm), can't imagine the 50mm helping that.

I would be interested if the Bros chimed in to hear their thoughts on this. Am I crazy? Are there others with this same assessment? Was that intentional?

I am just very pleasantly surprised by how different these bikes (maybe it is my set up) feel. Was worried it wouldn't provide enough variety in the stable for me, but I don't think that's the case.

mtbr member
    As far as the 90mm vs the 50mm.

My experience on the frames is more with 70mm vs 50mm.

Little background,
    I've been riding them with 70mm stems for the last few years. Felt it was a great balance between going up and down.

Then this summer Sean had our new Gen2 N9 setup with a 50mm stem. On my first ride I was not able to get on with it. It felt too far off the back on the climbs, and in the corners I was pushing a bit- (sliding the front tire out).

Next ride was on Lance's Gen1 N9 with a 70mm. Felt right a home again. Easy to do the jumps, easy to climb, and normal on the climbs. So, I'm talked to Sean about coaching our customers on setting up their frames with 70mm stems for the best all around feel.

Then of course, I ended up riding the Gen2 with the 50mm stem a lot more. Got comfortable with the setup. I was able to lean much more on the bars, without feeling like I would OTB, which weighted the front tire just right for the corners. And what I found is that it rode super close to my DH setup. Close enough that I prefer it now, but only recommend it to a DHer. Because of the climbing is a bit off the back. But I can beat Sean on his Jedi on our daily ride on Galbi in B-ham, and hit all the jumps. Or I can take my hardtail down flying Monkey in Virgin UT (which I don't recommend, hairball for sure).

Really turns the bike into the "Self shuttling Downhill machine". (Love that BTW)

But if you are the type of rider that is not jumping or pinning DH tracks with your hardtail- Stick to the 70mm stem.

As for the 90mm stem- I would tell you to sell your frame and buy the next size up, and put a 70mm stem on it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cSquared View Post
    As for the 90mm stem- I would tell you to sell your frame and buy the next size up, and put a 70mm stem on it.
    Hmm. Interesting. Is that based on a 720+ wide bar? Now I already would be riding the XL. I ride a XL Trek Sawyer with a 660 bar and 90mm stem and a 100mm fox. The cockpit is just about perfect (for the moment) but I've been eyeing up the N9 because I like steel bikes and geometry that is slacker and less XC racer.

I'm not fit expert, but the reach on the N9 is more than a cm shorter than the YS and my Trek. What is the purpose of the N9 having less reach than the YS? Am I way over thinking the geometry changes? I don't expect a trail geometry bike to be the same; however, the XL YS reach is almost identical to my Trek.

mtbr member
    I run at least a 760+ on all my bikes now. I could do maybe a 740, but that's my limit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Maybe I'll try a 70mm on the N9. I am sure I have one lying around. I rode a large and didn't like how big it felt.

That's what she said.

mtbr member
    My comparison between the two was the exact same parts hung on both frames. After a few rides I upgraded the fork to a tapered 140mm. With a 140 the YS rips down the hills. The front end did wander a bit on climbs. Since its a single speed now that's not an issue anymore.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cSquared View Post
    And what I found is that it rode super close to my DH setup. Close enough that I prefer it now, but only recommend it to a DHer. Because of the climbing is a bit off the back.
    My background is very much XC related, and I switched to a DH style cock pit this year for all around trail riding on my Yelli. I kept a 690 bar/90mm stem on hand if I ever wanted to go back... I never will.

The 50mm stem and 700mm bars are staying put (east coast riding with narrow tree trails won't go wider). The added confidence on the sketch ball descents is amazing. I was able to drop dudes on f/s bikes with ease (which is a relative thing I'm very aware).

I wish I had tried this years ago. FWIW, XC nerds that can adapt could potentially enjoy a DH set up... The climbing is for sure a bit off the back but since I'm 1X any way I'm off the saddle on the steep stuff any way. I'm NOT an air seeking rider, but I suppose I do like to attack downhills as much as possible. The short stem makes Pisgah trail riding a bit more manageable.
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I ride 50/750 for XC and trail riding, even racing, on my Yelli. I don't see a downside.

One bike to rule them all!

mtbr member
    I'd buy an N9 right now except I don't like how they don't specify the frame material other than 4130. How heavy is it? If they offered it in Reynolds 853 or some other nice heat treated chromoly I'd pay twice the price.

I might just get Waltworks to make me something similar with a nice tubeset.

AOK
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I'd buy an N9 right now except I don't like how they don't specify the frame material other than 4130. How heavy is it?
    Not light. See my post above for the weight of a large N9 frame.

mtbr member
    Yeah, the N9 isn't a weight weenie, but I have no concerns about beating the hell out of my N9.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I'd buy an N9 right now except I don't like how they don't specify the frame material other than 4130. How heavy is it? If they offered it in Reynolds 853 or some other nice heat treated chromoly I'd pay twice the price.

I might just get Waltworks to make me something similar with a nice tubeset.
    Unless a Gen1 Nimble shows up used in my size, I am likely doing the same thing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    For you folks who have had the privilege of riding both the YS and the N9, which one is a better endurance machine? Here in western NC we have miles and miles of technical singletrack with big downhills and steep climbing. We also have alot of gravel that must be grinded to get from trail to trail. I want to build an endurance race bike but cant stand the thought of a XC bike with 100mm stem on the downhills. If you were building a bike to go the distance on (40+ milers), all while still ripping steep/rocky downhills...which one would you choose?

Same setup i.e. 140mm fork, 50-60mm stem, 740mm bars.

Im leaning toward Yelli but only because of the weight...

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

I don't know. Yelli has the weight advantage but steel on the Nimble might be more comfy for the long rides.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

The Bros

Finally got some pics of my Canfield Bros side by side. Pardon the ice-storm damaged willow tree in the bg.

First race of the season this weekend... it's an endurance race so I'll be riding BOTH of them in it since I couldn't decide.

God I love these bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Great looking bikes! Which one climbs better? If I were to run gears would these be sit and spin bikes, or do you need to be in attack mode and stand a lot of the time?

The White Jeff W
    I can do either on my Yelli. I prefer sit & spin but if I get caught with my pants down in too hard of a gear it does fine standing. Sitting its pretty easy to find the sweet spot where you weight the rear tire enough that it gets a good bite but will still keep the front from lifting.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jpo1 View Post
    Great looking bikes! Which one climbs better? If I were to run gears would these be sit and spin bikes, or do you need to be in attack mode and stand a lot of the time?
    They both climb great. Obviously the Nimble9 at 100mm vs. 140mm and a little longer stem has a slight advantage since the front stays more planted, but they both do fine sitting or standing. I usually climb the Nimble standing just so I can push the gear. I alternate on the Yelli.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast