mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Recommended setup on n9 for steep climbs

Need some advice on a good setup with the n9 for steep climbing. Recently i rode a trail with technical steep climbs for the first time on my new setup and had some issues. I have a 2016 frame size large with the following-
    32x11-46 1x xt m8000 drive train
    2.8 Rocket Rons on arc35(slammed/16.25in)
    6 degree 60mm stem w/720 low rise bars(20 degree rise) with one 5mm spacer under stem
    Straight seatpost
    140 revelation fork, adjustable to 120
    Had trouble keeping the frontend planted. Shifted forward on the saddle but felt cramped. I like the stays short if possible. Can i offset it with a longer stem? I am 6foot atound 200lbsThanks
    Last edited by Greenkeep; 05-22-2017 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Forgot something

mtbr member
    Bikejames.com learning how to climb is your best bet. Scoot forward on the saddle. Get low over the bars. Weight forward.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I hear you on that as i do it to. I have ridden this trail in the past on more xc oriented bikes and have cleaned it no problem. This bike is very playful and capable on most of my local trails but this one in particular is loaded with some tough climbs that are steep. I would like to say its operator error but i think its my current setup. Just looking for some cockpit tweeks to improve climbing on this bike.
    Last edited by Greenkeep; 05-22-2017 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Idk

mtbr member
    Try standing? That is how I climb super steep and loose stuff on my Honzo at 140mm. I find it easier to react quickly to wheel spin if I am out of the saddle. I use hip drive while leaning my bike side to side for real low end grunt to crank the pedals if it gets super loose.

I also run the shortest chainstay length possible. I have a DHR II 2.3 on the rear and a either a 40 or 50mm 0° stem with 760mm low rise bars. I run flats and am currently XT 10 speed 32 and 11-36.

mtbr member
    YS user here with 140. More less they got the same dimensions so shouldn't matter much.

Gear wise, we got a similar setup, 32 oval, m8000 11-42t. if you can climb without having to sit at the tip of the saddle, then good as it isn't as uncomfortable as it would be. and if you need to, hopefully you got a good chamois.

if punching short climbs and if you can stand out of the saddle, do so. for longish ones seated would be preferable. remember use your hips to drive and otherwise your quads are going to burn.

when faced with largish obstacles on climbs, let your front wheel lift as if you're going to wheelie as it will lessen the force exerted downward. key is to keep pedaling. this doesn't matter seated, standing or crouched as long as you unweight the frontend via pedal power you should be good. takes a while to figure out, but makes climbs smoother when executed well. common mistake is to momentarily stop power delivery and/or overpower it. keep a smooth stroke and deliver the burst of power only when needed.

as mentioned previously, hip drive is your best weapon. off-saddle, deadlifts will be your goto exercise
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks for the tips! I guess i need to spend more time with this bike working on my technique in addition to maybe going to a longer stem. Friends have mentioned everything to it be a matter of being undergreared and or the wheelbase being to short. Im definitely not used to this style geo for steep seated climbs. Last bike i used over there was a GT Helion with a 2x that made seated climbs a cinch. Also i failed to mention that i rode SS on this frame as well so the current setup is fine as its a non issue in that format. I can see why the bros increased the reach on this bike for the current model as the reach on a 16 n9 is really short. I would hate to mess with the handling by going to a longer stem but have to see. Worst case(or best case lol) is going back to SS and getting another bike thats longer and and a little steeper for those rare occasions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I had trouble climbing steep stuff on my Balance at first. You have to change your technique a little and find what works. Now I climb everything just fine. You just need more time to fine tune technique.