Captain Climber

Recommendations for upgrading my N9

I was going to get a FS bike this year but after converting my 2014 N9 to 27+ I don't think I will because I am really enjoying it...

...so I want to make my bike as perfect as I can. Now I know that a lot of making it perfect for me is subjective so I should probably be focused on making the bike lighter and more efficient. I live in Florida so this bike doesn't take a lot of abuse or need a beefy setup. This is the current setup:

2014 Reba RL 120mm fork
    WTB i35 w/ SRAM x9 wheels
    Rocket Ron 2.8s
    SLX crankset w/Raceface NW 32 tooth
    XT cassette
    Deore brakes
    Koere 40mm stem
    Cane Creek 40 headset
    Aluminum bars and seatpost
    Zee rear derailleur and shifter 1x10 setup.

I don't want to waste money on bling when I can get the same performance on something less expensive because I'll probably get that FS next year Still waiting to see what the Brothers are going to come out with

mtbr member
    Dropper... It's amazing how much of a difference one makes... Or carbon wheels... You would be amazed how much flexing an alum run does

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Chris Bling
    Suspension, dropper and wheels.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Rigid fork and single speed it.

You'll thank me

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    Dropper... It's amazing how much of a difference one makes... Or carbon wheels... You would be amazed how much flexing an alum run does

Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    Suspension, dropper and wheels.

Interesting.. Having never used one I cannot see how a dropper would help but I do see a lot of people here saying how great they are. Which one should I be looking at since it is a 27.2?

And the carbon wheels, I would think on a hard tail I would want the more plush aluminum wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by ROFF View Post
    Rigid fork and single speed it.

You'll thank me
    I will try this when I get the FS

Glad I asked here because this is totally different than the route I was thinking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    Interesting.. Having never used one I cannot see how a dropper would help but I do see a lot of people here saying how great they are. Which one should I be looking at since it is a 27.2?

And the carbon wheels, I would think on a hard tail I would want the more plush aluminum wheels?

I will try this when I get the FS

Glad I asked here because this is totally different than the route I was thinking.
    It's kind of like disc brakes. You can live on cantis but why.. It makes everything better.
    I've had good luck with the thomson unit but I love my new dvo dropper.

The wheels don't soak up. The tires do. You can turn tighter and rail harder. It's about efficiency. Everytime I get back on alum wheels I blow thru corners for a bit cuz carbon turns in so easily.

MTB B'dos
    Some great upgrades for your bike....some new/different grips

Seriously, I honestly don't see anything that needs upgrading on your build, very nice. As others have suggested, maybe a dropper, but all depends on your terrain and how much steep rollers, drops etc you ride. As to which one to get a 27.2mm, X-Fusion offers one.
    Could also try a 3.0" upfront or if you still have your 29er wheels a 29x2.6" NN, which would effectively slack the HTA out by about a degree, which could be fun, again depending on your trails and how steep stuff gets - I know you don't have to have major elevation to have steep
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Inexpensive upgrades:

XT 10 speed shifter. Being able to drop 2 gears in one push is awesome. You can pair it with an 11 speed RD to handle the 10 speed 11-42 cassettes without modification.

Mid-priced stuff:

Wide carbon bar or inexpensive if you prefer something less than 750mm.

Expensive ideas:

High end hubs or new high end wheelset (probably more cost effective).
    Dropper, I miss mine. Being able to pedal for recovery in a non-dirt jumper position is great.
    Fork - Yari, F34, Trace or Pike. They'll add weight but also front-end stiffness and control to help with the bigger tires your are running.

The N9 is an aggressive hardtail and should be built to suit. These are just my ideas/opinions and come from me valuing traction and control for me to be as comfortable as I can on a similar hardtail whether I am climbing, descending or cruising in between the other two. All of my buddies ride FS bikes and I like to keep up on the descents . I also do not value sacrificing those two requirements to save weight.

Chris Bling
    In answer to your carbon wheel question, not all carbon is made the same. Some will be so stiff, they will beat you to death. I ran the Atomik Chubby on my N9 and it was a breath of fresh air.

The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

occ member
    Jem7sk, let's see a pic of your N9 so we have more to go off of.

I'm not sure I'd get a dropper if you don't have the terrain for it, but I could be totally wrong. Where I live it's almost completely flat, and I'm not sure it'd be worth the extra weight to be able to drop the saddle maybe once or twice per ride.

I also wanted to ask you what bars and post you had, I'm thinking of adding some raw/polished aluminum bits to one of my bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I agree with most of the sentiment here. Dropper is pretty great but with that seatpost diameter you are limited on options. Do you have a cassette expander 42t cog for your 10 speed cassette? Once again, probably not even necessary if you are riding fine with it as is and don't have a ton of altitude to deal with.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I had a Reba switched to a Pike and it was worlds better.

occ member
    Ha! I was just gonna say 140mm fork, or more?

MTB B'dos
    I will tend to agree with those who are suggesting going to a bigger stanchion fork, I did that 5 years ago when I got my Prime and now none of my bikes run with anything but a 34mm stanchion fork, the steering precision is just worlds better than with a 32mm in rough, tech, high speed. However, it wouldn't be a cheap upgrade for sure, so didn't suggest it with you saying you might go for a new bike next year.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I just got a Yari (can be found for 500) with the intention of getting an Avalanche cart for it, after I break it in. For the price, I'm pretty impressed with it.

Captain Climber
    Yeah, the Reba did suck but after I did a full service on it, it performs much better. Still not as plush as I would like. I've been researching on the dropper posts and it seems the only thing I would need it for here is cornering and rough, root sections. We only have a couple of those so I don't think it would be worth it but I may get one any way. I can always transfer the parts to the new bike

Here is a pic of the bike... I'm sure most of you have seen this pic before:
    Recommendations for upgrading my N9-img_0319.jpgRecommendations for upgrading my N9-img_0321.jpg