mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Rear Shock Spacer Play on Riot

Hi all,

I recently noticed that the rear shock spacers on my Riot can move approximately .5mm horizontally. I replaced the shock hardware with a new set of 36x8 RS hardware (my shock is a RS Vivid Coil), but the play still remains. The shock bolt is tight and the brushings are still in good shape.

It seems like the "top hat" style spacers on either side of the shock are slightly too small, allowing them to slide around. Is this kind of movement acceptable, or could it possibly cause damage to the shock/frame? Is there another kind of mounting hardware I could try that would work well with an RS shock?

Thanks for any help.

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix864 View Post
    Hi all,

I recently noticed that the rear shock spacers on my Riot can move approximately .5mm horizontally. I replaced the shock hardware with a new set of 36x8 RS hardware (my shock is a RS Vivid Coil), but the play still remains. The shock bolt is tight and the brushings are still in good shape.

It seems like the "top hat" style spacers on either side of the shock are slightly too small, allowing them to slide around. Is this kind of movement acceptable, or could it possibly cause damage to the shock/frame? Is there another kind of mounting hardware I could try that would work well with an RS shock?

Thanks for any help.
    Mine does the same thing.

Ideally it would fit with no movement,.but also without any compression. I think this sort of movement is not uncommon however, and shouldn't cause damage. I suspect with the flex in the rear end of the riot, a little room for the shock to breathe is not a bad thing.

A small shim washer on either side would help if you want to remove the play in the bushing top hats.
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Thanks for the info. It's unfortunate that Rockshox's hardware doesn't come with shims to adjust the width of the spacers. I would assume that a small washer between the spacer and the frame wouldn't have a change of damaging anything, correct? I may just leave it as is if the space won't cause any problems though.

Thanks.

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    None come with shims. I've found rockshox to be the worst in regard to bushing tolerance. Fox is a little better because they use plastic top hats over the metal thru axle piece. You could always swap out for fox hardware.
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw View Post
    None come with shims. I've found rockshox to be the worst in regard to bushing tolerance. Fox is a little better because they use plastic top hats over the metal thru axle piece. You could always swap out for fox hardware.
    I've had a difficult time finding any other kind of hardware in 36x8, but swapping hardware definitely sounds like the best option. Just disappointed that Rockshox's own hardware, when used with their own shocks, can't get a good fit.