Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: VeloRyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    75

    Rear shock bushings replaced with needle bearings?

    Has anyone replaced the stock rear shock bushings (I am running DVO Topaz) on their Balance or Riot? Curious about adding some extra shock sensitivity. If so, is there a kit readily available or is a hassle to track the parts down?

    Thanks!
    -VeloRyan-

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    80
    RWC does some nice kits, I run them on my riot and I really like the difference

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: VeloRyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by dbnickles View Post
    RWC does some nice kits, I run them on my riot and I really like the difference
    They donít have the Riot or balance listed...what kit did you get? Install yourself? Any troubles installing?

    Thanks for the help
    -VeloRyan-

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    298
    I put a new X2 on my Balance with a combo of the mounting kit they gave me and the stuff that was on their with the CC DB Air CS, but curious if there is something nicer. I heard needle bearings aren't sturdy though and the this big volume air shock is already so sensitive I doubt there will be any benefit.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    28
    Interesting...this is the first time I've heard of needle bearings for a rear shock but they sound like a great idea in theory! I'm building a 2016 Balance with a MRP Raze and expect it to be a pretty smooth suspension as is but if these bearings offer any performance improvement and are fairly reliable I think I'll have to give them a shot. Thanks for bringing these bearings to my attention!

    In to hear other experiences with needle bearings and CBF suspension setups...

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: VeloRyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by Pb-2-Au View Post
    Interesting...this is the first time I've heard of needle bearings for a rear shock but they sound like a great idea in theory! I'm building a 2016 Balance with a MRP Raze and expect it to be a pretty smooth suspension as is but if these bearings offer any performance improvement and are fairly reliable I think I'll have to give them a shot. Thanks for bringing these bearings to my attention!

    In to hear other experiences with needle bearings and CBF suspension setups...
    From what Iíve found doing a bit of research is that using these needle bearings instead of the stock bushing eliminates the initial friction to get the shock moving so it makes the shock more sensitive and more supple.

    As far as durability, again from what Iíve seen/read, people are getting longer lifespan out of the needle bearing than the bushing with a little care depending on what kind of conditions you ride in.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: In2falling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    387
    Quote Originally Posted by VeloRyan View Post
    From what Iíve found doing a bit of research is that using these needle bearings instead of the stock bushing eliminates the initial friction to get the shock moving so it makes the shock more sensitive and more supple.

    As far as durability, again from what Iíve seen/read, people are getting longer lifespan out of the needle bearing than the bushing with a little care depending on what kind of conditions you ride in.

    Wasting your time and money putting needle bearings on either riot or balance. There is almost no/zero moment at the bushings. They do work work well on suspension designs that have a lot of movement.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TIXSZDFv

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: VeloRyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by In2falling View Post
    Wasting your time and money putting needle bearings on either riot or balance. There is almost no/zero moment at the bushings. They do work work well on suspension designs that have a lot of movement.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TIXSZDFv
    Good to know. I figured there was movement at the back end where it attaches to the swingarm.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gman086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by In2falling View Post
    Wasting your time and money putting needle bearings on either riot or balance. There is almost no/zero moment at the bushings. They do work work well on suspension designs that have a lot of movement.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TIXSZDFv
    THIS! Thanks for saving me the time to explain this. And yes, for shocks that DO have a lot of rotation at one or both eyelets, they are a great idea (Santa Cruz VPP bikes really benefit, I can assure you).

    Have FUN!

    G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by VeloRyan View Post
    They donít have the Riot or balance listed...what kit did you get? Install yourself? Any troubles installing?

    Thanks for the help
    I got the NBKRWC3556 kit for my riot, just shoot them an email and they will let you know which kit you need, No problem installing either

Similar Threads

  1. Needle bearings vs FOX resin bushings?
    By JimEG in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-25-2017, 01:28 PM
  2. Source for suspension bearings and needle bearings
    By rudy1337 in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-23-2014, 06:07 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-10-2014, 01:56 PM
  4. RWC shock eye needle bearings for 2011 RZ 120
    By FLMike in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-08-2013, 01:44 PM
  5. Shock needle bearings for previous generation frames
    By Jeff in Bend in forum Ventana
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-05-2012, 03:19 AM

Members who have read this thread: 46

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.