mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Problem with Jedi chain guide, possible solution?

Hey all, I have a problem with my chain guide and I want some advise before spending a bunch more on something that might not work.

I have an X0 crankset with a 32t MRP bling ring and the MRP G2 SL Micro guide, with the Canfield 9t micro drive out back. Everything has been working fine, and I really like this setup for the added ground clearance. My problem is I keep breaking the lower pulley wheel and lower taco off of the guide. I've broken 2 this month, and at best it's $90 for replacement parts (of which MRP is out of stock, as well as most every online supplier, which makes my only option buying a new guide @$120-$150). That's going to get quite expensive for something that I'm breaking that often, as well as down time between breaking it and getting lucky enough to find the parts I need.

Here is what I want to do for a solution:

Get rid of the Micro Guide and Bling Ring, add this NSB spider (this one will allow a ring-type bash guard), then add this e*thirteen LG1+ Turbo guide, of course taking off the top guide and letting the Jedi's idler pulley be the top guide. This would be a little heavier than current but that doesn't bother me. My biggest issue is that this won't be as low-profile, making rock strikes even more of a hazard, but I'm hoping the added strength of having the outer bash ring might give me the protection I'm seeking.

Has anyone tried this? Or has anyone put ANY other type/brand of guide on the Jedi?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRage43 View Post
    Hey all, I have a problem with my chain guide and I want some advise before spending a bunch more on something that might not work.

I have an X0 crankset with a 32t MRP bling ring and the MRP G2 SL Micro guide, with the Canfield 9t micro drive out back. Everything has been working fine, and I really like this setup for the added ground clearance. My problem is I keep breaking the lower pulley wheel and lower taco off of the guide. I've broken 2 this month, and at best it's $90 for replacement parts (of which MRP is out of stock, as well as most every online supplier, which makes my only option buying a new guide @$120-$150). That's going to get quite expensive for something that I'm breaking that often, as well as down time between breaking it and getting lucky enough to find the parts I need.

Here is what I want to do for a solution:

Get rid of the Micro Guide and Bling Ring, add this NSB spider (this one will allow a ring-type bash guard), then add this e*thirteen LG1+ Turbo guide, of course taking off the top guide and letting the Jedi's idler pulley be the top guide. This would be a little heavier than current but that doesn't bother me. My biggest issue is that this won't be as low-profile, making rock strikes even more of a hazard, but I'm hoping the added strength of having the outer bash ring might give me the protection I'm seeking.

Has anyone tried this? Or has anyone put ANY other type/brand of guide on the Jedi?

Thanks!
    I broke a G2 SL Micro on my One also. I have no idea how it happened, it was just missing one day. Didn't do a whole lot of bashing on it or anything. Have you complained to MRP about this? I'm not super impressed with the durability of that unit. If it happens again I"ll ask them for a different guide.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertr View Post
    I broke a G2 SL Micro on my One also. I have no idea how it happened, it was just missing one day. Didn't do a whole lot of bashing on it or anything. Have you complained to MRP about this? I'm not super impressed with the durability of that unit. If it happens again I"ll ask them for a different guide.
    I emailed them and told them what happened the first time and they told me I can buy new parts, but they were out of stock. I ended up just getting a whole new guide directly from Canfield and swapped it out. I don't want to be forced into getting a new guide every time I break this part as it does seem to be a little weak in design and construction. I'd like to see what other options are available as I have not been impressed with the durability of ANY MRP product I've had over the last few years.

mtbr member
    I have a Lopes guide with a 28T NSB direct mount chainring. I've cracked the plastic lower pulley housing, and there is no sign of impact whatsoever on the entire unit. It's still hanging on at the moment, but it's only a matter of time before it falls off. I'm using an MRP approved oil that won't degrade the plastic. This shouldn't be happening. I'm starting to think I might get rid of the lower pulley altogether and see if the type 2 rear derailleur will keep the chain on the chainring. I'm also starting to want to take off all the plastic junk on the guide and make my own low-profile pulley wheel and top guide out of delrin, aluminum, or something else that will handle general riding without falling apart.

To the OP's question, it seems like you could use that LG1 guide with the bling ring, provided the washer spacing of the guard were chosen carefully. Since you have the guide pulley up top, would the outer bash ring even be necessary with the large bash taco on the bottom of the guard? I might be missing something.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Can you guys throw up some pics? TIA
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    I have a Lopes guide with a 28T NSB direct mount chainring. I've cracked the plastic lower pulley housing, and there is no sign of impact whatsoever on the entire unit. It's still hanging on at the moment, but it's only a matter of time before it falls off. I'm using an MRP approved oil that won't degrade the plastic. This shouldn't be happening. I'm starting to think I might get rid of the lower pulley altogether and see if the type 2 rear derailleur will keep the chain on the chainring. I'm also starting to want to take off all the plastic junk on the guide and make my own low-profile pulley wheel and top guide out of delrin, aluminum, or something else that will handle general riding without falling apart.

To the OP's question, it seems like you could use that LG1 guide with the bling ring, provided the washer spacing of the guard were chosen carefully. Since you have the guide pulley up top, would the outer bash ring even be necessary with the large bash taco on the bottom of the guard? I might be missing something.
    The outer ring was what I was interested in. The taco seems to be where my main issue is. I would like to have just a lower pulley with no taco and a ring guard, no need for a top guide with the idler pulley.

Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Can you guys throw up some pics? TIA