Evlkneevljr

The One vs Uzzi VP

I'm looking at moving to a "The One" but also considering an Uzzi VP. I've ridden The One, and an older Uzzi VPX, but, not the new VP where they changed the rear triangle and shortened the travel a bit. Can anyone that has rode both newer version bikes throw out some insight?

I'm 170lbs and will be using the bike for everything (AM, freeride, DH, etc). Any major differences you feel are worth noting? Customer service, bike characteristics (DH more important to me), etc.?
    I like bacon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    You'd be hard pressed to find better customer service than the Canfield team.

As for the bike, I cannot voice an opinion on the Uzzi, though I have always been a fan of the SC VPP and I hear they are very similar.

The One, though, is amazing. Flat out the funnest, easiest bike to rip up and down that I've ever ridden. Though now I have a Jedi sitting right next to it, so this summer will be full of hard decisions.. Jedi or One, Jedi or One..

And yes, bacon > all

perpetual pucker factor
    No exaggeration, Canfield has the best customer service I have ever seen in the outdoor industry. Amazingly good.

I would say that the uzzi probably is a tad lighter in the frame, but the One will pedal better even with more travel. It is also able to accept a dual crown without flinching
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by daverach2478 View Post
    ... Customer service, ...
    read through this:
    cracked frame - leaving for whistler in 3 days
    and let me know when you hear of Intense doing something similar. The brothers' CS is second to none, as you can clearly see.

Never ridden an intense, as they don't apparently make bikes big enough for me, but my One pedals better than the SantaCruz I demoed, even though my One has more than twice as much travel. Handling is perfect, suspension is as good as I've ever ridden (and I've ridden a lot), and the Canfield comes with your choice of shock (where from what I can see, the Uzzi comes stock with a cheap OEM Fox van)

mtbr member
    I don't think you can really compare the two. I've ridden a few Uzzi's, and they are extremely capable bikes in that they are really fun on the DH sections, where I find that they lack is when the trail starts to flatten out or climbs. The Uzzi just doesn't pedal nearly as well as The One, I can honestly say that the One is the best pedaling bike that I've owned (I've owned a lot of bikes, from Ibis, Santa Cruz, Yeti, Intense, Specialized and Trek to name a few) and by far the Canfield is the best of the bunch.

If customer service is a concern, then there really is no choice, the Brothers will go out of their way to make sure you are a happy customer. If you email Canfield you will have an email back on the same day, if you call Canfield a human being will talk with you who actually know's what they are talking about. If you would like a choice on the shocks that your frame would come with they give you that option and quite frankly they are they type of guys that you'd like to sit down and have a beer with.

So we can't have complete Canfield fanboism happening, what are the flaws of The One you may be asking. Well they are actually fairly hard to find, the bike can run anything from a 1x set up to a 3x set up, can run any fork / shock combination you could want, and the frames are built to take on Armageddon. That being said, if you're not careful they can get heavy quick (not an issue for me as mine is built up pretty light), there are some minor frame details that bug me (I call them mud catchers) just little spots where its easy for mud to accumulate (again not an issue once you know it's there for me), the rear axle is not a maxle type of axle so that may bother some. I have a 2011 frame and the BB is a touch low for normal trail riding in some situations, I've fixed that by running a 180 fork, 170 cranks and offset bushings for the shock hardware, now I have a 13.5 BB which is just about perfect!

Overall I can't point to any one issue and say that there is a serious flaw, but I feel that those are the things that are bothersome in some ways.