mtbr member

The One rear tire choices

What are all you guys using for a rear tire...I wanted to get a big tire (2.4 Ardent) and it's like half a millimeter to big...rubs a bit. Any other suggestions for big tires that will fit The One?

mtbr member
    Is it too big radially or axially? A 2.35 muddy mary did not fit radially in my '09, but does in my '12 One. She's certainly more volume than any other tire labeled 2.35, and the first tire that finally made me say "you know, maybe there is such a thing as 'big enough'"

In warmer, drier times I use either 2.4 conti trail king (which is smaller in every dimension than 2.35 MM) or Hans Dampf, both with plenty of clearance.

mtbr member
    ummm...the center knob line rubs a very little bit on the middle of the swingarm. so...radially? With just a tiny bit of rub, can I just wait until the tire wears down a bit instead of buying a whole new tire? Don't really know if and how much a rubbing tire would damage the swingarm.

mtbr member
    sorry dude, I get stuck in engineer-speak sometimes.

What you're describing (the center knobs rubbing on the center of the rear triangle) is what I meant by radially. Up to you on waiting till it wears a bit then running the tire.

Personally I wouldn't; I'd save that tire to use in front. To my mind, any rubbing on the frame is basically sandpaper, which is going to damage something more expensive than a tire eventually. otoh, it could take a really long time before that happens, and the tire will probably wear down to the point it's not an issue before that.

mtbr member
    I'm running 2.35 Spec Purgatory Control. I don't like spending money on Specialized's stuff but for the asking price you cant go wrong. Quality tire.

I still think you should have a chat with the Bro's, maybe your frame's an oddball. 1mm tire clearance just doesn't sound right.
    Old enough to know better, too old to give a F$cK

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm using the Butcher Control. $50 and tubeless ready. I carry tubes and if it does flat I just throw in a tube and then its a LOT stronger.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I also run the 2.4 Conti Trail King with no clearance issues. What width are your rims? That would affect the shape of your tires somewhat. I run mine on 29.5mm inner width rims, but if you had a narrower rim like something in the 21-23mm range it might give a wider tire a taller profile.

mtbr member
    I'm running Stan's flow rims...29.something wide. so i don't think it's the rims...seems like the ardent is a pretty popular tire, and I think i've seen them on other one's on the interwebs... I have a 2.35 Maxxis DHR coming thursday for a weekend at northstar, hopefully that will fit fine.

7MGTE
    Other options for you Maxxis High Roller (orig HR) or Maxxis DHF both in 2.5.They say 2.5 but I think they run on the smaller side for 2.5s. If you need more clearance same tires but in 2.35 inches.

Ardents run a little big, I have run the 2.4s in the past and the tire sucked. I thought they seemed big for a 2.4. Some info on the tire states it was more like a 2.6 depending on tire std used. The grams were OK on the tire but the side nobs sucked. I have used the tire front and rear but I would not recommend tire for either.

mtbr member
    thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    My 2.4 Advantage bearly fits and it's every bit of 2.4. I 2nd day aired a Minion DHF EXO 2.5 and should get it today. I noticed that alot of others were using it and everyone seem to say they were small for posted size, I hope so. I'll let you know how it works out.

mtbr member
    thanks! I'm getting a 2.35 minion DHR tomorrow that I'll probably return...sounds like it will be small.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Minion EXO DHF 2.5" is perfect. Me happy, gonna hit the slope this sunday.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Ob yeah if your interested, the 2.5 was actually 2.28. So we'll call it a 2.3".

mtbr member
    Just put on a Conti Der Kaiser 2.5 fits great. I guess the ardent is just really friggin big...is it so hard for tire manufacturers to accurately measure they're tires?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ikarus189 View Post
    Just put on a Conti Der Kaiser 2.5 fits great. I guess the ardent is just really friggin big...is it so hard for tire manufacturers to accurately measure they're tires?
    Generally I've found tires run way smaller than the size listed. Contis are notorious for this.
    I'd bet the Ardent seems HUGE because it actually measures 2.4.
    That's another thing I like about Schwalbes. They tend to be closer to their claimed size and weight.
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed sheep, contesting the vote.

mtbr member
    another vote for the 2.5 Minion DHF. Fantastic tire, and perfect width for me. Any fatter, and the hack end starts to feel sort of sluggish in turns.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

2013 Model has less tire clearance than 2012 and 2011.

The 2013 rear tire clearance is less than the 2012/2011 in the radial direction, meaning you can stick larger diameter tires in the 2011/2012 frames.

I took a couple of pics of the differences:
    The One rear tire choices-2013_2012_one_tire_clearance.jpg

It's mainly the rear triangle bracing. The 2013 is straight, whereas the 2012 frame has bracing that is bent and asymmetric creating more tire clearance.

Didn't get around to taking any pictures, but, I mounted up a Minion DHR 2.7" to the back of the 2013 and it cleared with about a 1/16" clearance, for those that wanted to run a meatier tire out back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Wow, thanks for taking the time on the pics.

I hit the park yesterday and truth be told I was slow to acclumate, but once I did I was in love with the way she flys. The Minnion DHF 2.5 on back works flawlessly.