mtbr member
    Sep 2013

The One as a DH bike replacement

I love my DH bike, but it rarely gets ridden as I have to pedal to everything close by. I'm toying with the idea of replacing it with a The One, but while I read lots of great reviews of how it climbs, that's not really my main concern. I love natural rough terrain - high speed rock gardens, drops etc, as well as the occasional bike park run. Some examples of where I visit that I want DH bike handling/stability/saveyourassness are Mammoth and Bootleg Canyon. For those of you that have spent time on one (ideally the newer model) that also have owned DH bikes - how does it compare? For resort riding I'd have it in 8 inch mode with an angleset to slack out the headangle to at least 64 degrees.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have a One and a DH bike as and have often thought that I didn't really need to have a separate DH bike. I like the DH bike for full on sustained super steeps and rough but I would say that on most DH trails, the One would be just as quick. If I only had my One, I would not complain or find myself wanting in likely reality. Just put a good fork and shock on it and I imagine you will be quite happy. My One gets a lot more use than the DH rig.

mtbr member
    Agreed with aenema. It'll handle pretty much anything that a dedicated DH bike will handle, and it won't destroy you when you have to pedal. I keep mine in 8" mode all the time, and see no need to ever go down to 7". It pedals just as well in 8". Full DH bikes feel a tiny bit more planted and stable at really high speeds or on the extremely nasty stuff, but the One is much more lively and fun in my opinion. It doesn't get that sluggish/heavy feeling when you're going slowly through techy sections or pumping turns. But it is still VERY capable on the big stuff. I'm going down to near the Rampage area tonight to ride, and I will surely wimp out before my bike does. It sounds to me like you're the perfect candidate for the One.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    I built my One up as my sole DH rig. I have only been DH'ing for one season and Blue Mountain here in Ontario is the only place I have been, which is tame compared to most places, but I will say that it is a much nicer ride than the rental ones (which were rocky mountain something or other).

I built it rather than the Jedi in case I decided not to stick to DH'ing, in which case the One is more versatile. But I don't see the need to get a DH bike now. My $.02