Five is right out
    Sep 2006

The One with BBG-style guides instead of a chainguide?

So I'm considering a One for my next build- it sounds like almost exactly like what I am after- an 8" travel bike that still pedals well enough to be used outside of a strict downhill environment.

I do have one question for any One owners: Is there anyone using it with a 'bashwhich" style setup instead of a chainguide?

The reason I'm asking is that for years I have been happily running 1x9 or 1x10 with a couple of BBG guards on either side of the single chainring. This has been on 6" and 7" travel frames. It's proven to be very reliable (never dropped a chain), it's silent, cheap, and super easy to set up.

On the other hand, I have witnessed riding buddies bend their dedicated chainguides, wear out rollers, or have the chain slip out of the guide and then faff about for ages to try to get the chain back in. Also, guides seem to be fairly expensive compared to the BBG option, which comes to around $25.

So, for all the One owners out there: Is anyone happily using a bashwich approach or is a dedicated chainguide necessary for a 1x10 setup?

mtbr member
    I cant see why it would be an issue. Looks damn simple and effective. I run a dedicated 1x10 guide, beat the snot out and replace parts more often that I'd like. I'd give BBG a go, though the 28t x 10 spiderless set up isn't going to allow the BBG thing to happen.

Go for The One. Yesterday I rode the Shore. 5km's of fire road up, then some old school Upper Oil Can onto a steep'n angry Expresso. The bottom of Expresso comes out onto the Baiden Powell trail, some undulating tech XC back to more fire road up to more tech down. All in 8" mode. The One adapted to each aspect of the ride with like it was three bikes in one. After nearly two years on my The One it still amazes me how this bike performs.
    Old enough to know better, too old to give a F$cK

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    The only cautionary note I can give is that the chain must have a guide on the inside or it runs the risk of falling into the lower link which would cause some problems. It seems like it would work well and if your riding hasn't dropped a chain then you should be good for it.

As bigcrs said, the 28t spiderless setup wouldn't accept that so it would be a no go. If you have a 32 or higher with a 104 bcd or other standard on your 1x setup it would work though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm in the process of setting up a bashwich right now on my 2013 one. Originally I was going to go with a 2x10 setup. So I had ordered a bbg bashguard and blackspire stinger. While waiting for the frame to be delivered,I decided to get the Canfield micro hub and run a 1x10. I tried to get away with the just the bash and stinger. But on occasion, like once every couple rides, chain would derail from top of the chainring. Mind you I'm still riding the ramped chainring that came with the SLX triple I converted to a 1x. So a unramped chainring would help also. Anyways I have ordered another bash for the inside and should have it put together by this weekend and ill give you a ride report by the end of next week. I will say that if I hadn't already ordered parts for a 2x10 setup I probably just ordered the mrp micro and be done. If the bashwich works out the nice thing is they have a lifetime warranty unlike the mrp half bash on the micro/g3 setup. Here is my drivetrain setup once I'm done.
    SLX triple crankset converted to 1x
    32t shimano ramped chainring. Switching to unramped should chain continue to derail
    Canfield 9t hub shimano slx 10spd cassette
    SLX shadow+ rear derailleur
    Blackspire stinger. I'm going to try without stinger and see if shimano's clutch system will keep the chain tight enough not to use the chain guide
    104 bcd bbg bash and 64 bcd bbg bash for the bashwich
    I live in rocky AZ so it should be a good test as to wether or not it will work

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Thanks for the feedback, guys. Good to know that I can probably get by without a dedicated guide.

I'll definitely be running both inner and outer plates, which is my current setup. I'm using a 30T non-ramped chainring on standard 104/64 crankarms, so I'll just switch everything straight over to the new frame when I get it.