conjoinicorned

One...with 160mm fork? ride reports?

posting this for a friend who has no internets at work

looking hard for a 180 talas but hard to find and $$$. What's the scoop on a 160mm fork, i've seen the write ups on the canfield site about angles etc. but anyone have ride reports...or better, pictures? is a 160mm enough for the bike? 90% AM 5% XC 5% DH/FR

thanks, i'll pass anything along
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    It depends on several things like what kind of trails you ride, what length cranks you want to run, and what brand of fork as they have different axle to crown lengths.

I personally think the longer the better as the BB is already pretty low with the spec'ed 565mm fork length, at least for me anyways. I ride a lot of rocky terrain and initially was getting a lot of pedal strikes, so I tried to raise the BB by putting an external cup headset on the bottom, 15m vs 5m. Also using an anglset swept in to correct the rake and get it a little steeper for climbing. I imagine I am somewhere around a 14" for the BB and 66 for HA.

If you're not worried about pedal strikes you could get away with it. Another thing to consider is that the Talus drops the front end when you put it in the lower mode, which makes your pedals wicked low. Only thing it would really be useful for is riding up a fire road with no obstacles. The float and van can both be had for quite a bit cheaper than the talus, and are just as effective. This frame doesn't really need any external assistance to make pedaling easier.

mtbr member
    i ride mine with a VAN RC2 FIT 160 with external headset and i love it, hit the corner, and fast and agyle
    one thing that is an issue is pedal strikes on tech climbs, but learned to time my pedaling and all is well

all in all, i freakin love it!

one think i would consider is the new X-fusion vengence coil forks that come in 170+ [a friend got 174mm] stanchions and that helps!

i do almost everything with this, from desert 30+km rides to light freeride and tech AM and i love it!

for the downhills i got my Jedi

One...with 160mm fork?  ride reports?-546818_4014461285911_1141067731_n.jpg
    One...with 160mm fork?  ride reports?-img_20121103_103502.jpg

built at 15.7 kilo with the specialized dropper post [not pictured]
    '12 Canfield One! - f\/ck yeah!
    '12 Canfield brothers Jedi F1 - so fast im back in time

mtbr member
    I rode mine for a while with a 160mm lyric and external headset. The bike would still dance, don't get me wrong, but the BB was really low for AM riding (i.e., climbing), and I much prefer the ride with the boxxer I have now.

here's what it looked like, not that it really tells you much:
    One...with 160mm fork?  ride reports?-new_one.jpeg

If the 180 was too much, I'd have a look at the Lyric or xfusion at 170 before going all the way down to 160.