Space Ghost

Nimble9 ramblings, old vs. new

I have had my Gen 1 N9 for a year now. I am an un-abashed bike HO! I have gone through a dozen frames/bikes in the last 6-7 years. My friends call ma a malcontent (among other things). I say I am just particular. I started with a 100mm fork and 80mm stem on my N9 and loved the insane handling it possessed. Then I went to a 120mm fork and a 90mm stem with zero rise. The quick handling is still there, but the overall stability has dramatically increased. I run mine SS and recently finished my first 50 mile event with it. I felt great after and set a personal best at that distance. I ride EVERYTHING with my N9 that I ride with my Trance X 29 and most of the time, I ride it faster. I don't think there is anything this bike can't do (for me). With all that said, I am in LUST with the new frames. I can't think of ONE improvement that would be relevant TO ME. But I still find myself wanting one. I would love to keep my current N9 and use it as my race/endurance bike and build a new one with more burly parts, but that is a pipe dream. And NO, I am not willing to sell the TX29. Maybe I can go to the Dr. and get a cream for this itch, because I really don't want to part with my ORIGINAL N9! Anyone feeling the same way?
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

mtbr member
    I am. While there are definite improvements with the 2nd gen frame, I can't really justify picking up the new one. They just did so well on the first one!

I'm in the exact same boat as you by the way, riding seriously for about 6 years, and had 7 bikes/frames, the last 4 being SS 29ers...

Space Ghost
    I don't want anyone to get me wrong. I realize there ARE improvements, but they just aren't relevant to me. If I had more hardcore All Mountain riding then maybe. But the frame is beautiful in a curvy, burly way. Mine is beautiful in a utilitarian, no nonsense way...come on lotto!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I had the N9 for quit a long time, I think I never had a better HT frame.
    I sold it, bought the Yelli (that I love very very much).
    After I saw the new N9 I know that I want my old N9 back.
    So if there is an old M black frame that is going to be replaced with the new generation I can buy it.

mtbr member
    I feel like I am in the same boat, I have been riding a yelli for about 18months now and want a second gen N9. I keep trying to talk my self into turning the yelli into a XC monster and riding the burlier looking Nimble for all-mountain duities. But I have too many bikes already with a Waltworks dually on the way too. Just too many bikes to choose from and not enough money, haha.

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by riiz View Post
    I feel like I am in the same boat, I have been riding a yelli for about 18months now and want a second gen N9. I keep trying to talk my self into turning the yelli into a XC monster and riding the burlier looking Nimble for all-mountain duities. But I have too many bikes already with a Waltworks dually on the way too. Just too many bikes to choose from and not enough money, haha.
    Ive been thinking the same way lol. I recently started riding my Yelli with 650B wheels. With the N9 sliding dropouts I could slide the rear wheel all the way forward and have much shorter chainstay length. Plus they're damn sexy.

Im thinking X Fusion Slant 650b fork with 160mm travel and 34mm stanchions. Weighs a little less than my Marzocchi Bomber 29er fork and axle to crown is actually a little shorter than the Marz at 140mm. Half the price of the Fox 34, too. Whats the weight of that N9 gen 2 frame?
    No moss...

Space Ghost
    I believe it is 6.5 lbs. My Original is 5.5 lbs for a lg.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach417 View Post
    I have had my Gen 1 N9 for a year now. I am an un-abashed bike HO! I have gone through a dozen frames/bikes in the last 6-7 years. My friends call ma a malcontent (among other things). I say I am just particular. I started with a 100mm fork and 80mm stem on my N9 and loved the insane handling it possessed. Then I went to a 120mm fork and a 90mm stem with zero rise. The quick handling is still there, but the overall stability has dramatically increased. I run mine SS and recently finished my first 50 mile event with it. I felt great after and set a personal best at that distance. I ride EVERYTHING with my N9 that I ride with my Trance X 29 and most of the time, I ride it faster. I don't think there is anything this bike can't do (for me). With all that said, I am in LUST with the new frames. I can't think of ONE improvement that would be relevant TO ME. But I still find myself wanting one. I would love to keep my current N9 and use it as my race/endurance bike and build a new one with more burly parts, but that is a pipe dream. And NO, I am not willing to sell the TX29. Maybe I can go to the Dr. and get a cream for this itch, because I really don't want to part with my ORIGINAL N9! Anyone feeling the same way?
    Hate to be the party pooper here but I prefer the looks of the 1st Nimble 9. A more classic and timeless look in my opinion. I am actually debating building Yelli frame with the parts from my N9. I know if I sell my N9 frame there is no going back because I don't want a new one.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Count me among those that'll stick w/ N9 V1. Running SS, I have my saddle enough lower than my geared bikes that it's easy to slide off the back. That allows me to run my 27.2 Moots layback post, which has some give when seated. I lose all that w/ V2, and if I'm riding stuff that needs a burlier fork up front and a dropper post, then there's another bike in the quiver for that.
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

hispanic mechanic
    Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat. As someone who does long rides on one speed, the new version is moving away from my needs. Adding a pound, reducing vertical compliance, 30.9 seat post... Not things I need in a 100-mile mountain bike race.
    I love my N9v1.0, but was really hoping for slightly less weight and a second bottle cage mount.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/