rjx
    mtbr member

Is the Nimble 9 right for me?

I've been going back and forth between the Nimble 9 and Yelli. I can only afford to own one, so Id like it to meet all my mtb needs (if possible).

How Id use it:

----- Single Track / Fire Roads, 3+ X per week. One particular trail has some technical rocky sections. I haven't done much single track / fire road riding in the past but I want to start doing it frequently!

----- Semi flat off road gravel rides 30+ miles, 3+ x per week.
    I like to use steep gears and maintain a good cadence. I love to go fast on the flat stuff.

----- Climbing. One of the better local trails Ill frequent has a total climb of 4200 feet.”
    Sierra Vista - Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides
    To put it in perspective, heres what the view looks like.

Heres a few videos (not mine) of the types of trails Id have access to. I edited the links so theyll start at a certain point in the video so you only need to see about 10 seconds of each video to get a good idea.

Henry Coe State Park Single Track Mountain Biking - YouTube Henry Coe
    Santa Teresa Rocky Ridge MTB Trail Ride - YouTube Santa Teresa Rocky Ridge
    GoPro Hero 3 UCSC Mountain Biking 11/11/12 Hwy 9/Mailboxes etc. - YouTube Santa Cruz downhill
    Santa Cruz Wilder Ranch MTB ride with Troy's Caletti CX bike - YouTube Santa Cruz Singletrack
    Dirtdiver rides Mailbox at UC Santa Cruz - YouTube Santa Cruz, hopping around

Confusion:
    Ive read so many reviews for both the Nimble 9 and Yelli and at first I thought the Nimble 9 would be right for me. But the more I read, the more im confused. Some people say the Nimble 9 would be the better all day bike and that its very versatile. But then I read people saying theyd prefer the Yelli as an all day bike and that the Yelli is very versatile. So it seems both bikes are versatile and can do the same things very well. One thing the majority of reviewers all seem to agree on is the Yelli is better for downhill riding self shuttling.

What can the Nimble 9 do better than the Yelli? To me the steel of the Nimble 9 seems like it would dampen the harshness of a bumpy trail and make longer rides more enjoyable than the Yelli.

Id like the bike that would be more comfortable for long all day rides, climbs well, and fast for single track and fire roads. Seems like the Yelli would win the fast category. But comfort for all day / long distance rides is more of a priority for me than a little more speed.

I'd like to hear all your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks

mtbr member
    The Nimble 9 is more versatile because of the rear drop-outs, can be run SS or geared. I own a YS but have never ridden either Gen Nimble, if I had to pick all over again, I'd go with the Nimble, because I like to tinker and change things up from time to time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I own both bikes and, while my Nimble is set up SS, I would probably choose the N9 and gear it if I had to choose just one for all day rides. The Nimble is more versatile with the dropouts (even if you have no intention of going single speed, it's nice to be able to adjust your chainstay length), and you are correct the steel sort of numbs the chatter.

The only downside to the N9 IMO is weight, because it's almost 2 lbs heavier than the Yelli. but for the versatility of the dropouts (which are pretty heavy themselves) and the steel it's worth it for an all dayer. They're both very fast bikes and neither rides as heavy as it is. I doubt you will be disappointed in whichever one you choose.

Canfield Brothers
    I ride the N9 because I can run a shorter chain stay and the steel is a smoother ride for my back.
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

rjx
    mtbr member
    Thank you for the replies.

Seems like I had the feeling which one might be best for me but I guess I needed reassurance hehe.

I'm actually interested in a rigid SS, but not as my only mtb. Perhaps in the future I can do what pointerDixie214 has done and have the Nimble as a SS and the Yelli geared.

But flymybike mentioned the steel would be smoother on the back. I've had issues with my lower back and neck (off and on) for the last ten years, so steel as my main bike would probably be smarter for me.

I think it was just me trying to over analyze things.

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Yeah, if you're going rigid or SS then definitely go for the N9. I love my Yelli but it's better suited for gears and at least 120mm of travel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Nimble 9 is right for everybody!

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    Been running my N9 SS with a 120mm fork for the past couple of weeks. Uber fun ride! Climbs better than I thought it would! And the downs... well we all know how well the N9 can rock the DH!
    Is the Nimble 9 right for me?-20140409_172620.jpg
    Can you hear me now?