Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    117

    Nimble 9 - Rear Tire Recommendation

    I have recently switched to a Nimble 9 after several years on a XC FS bike. The Nimble is a great bike - I didn't realize what I have been missing this whole time. But now I am wondering how much I can push the rear tire clearance wise.

    I am currently riding with Ground Control 2.3 front and back and it looks like there is plenty of room. And since the tires are close to being done I am wondering what's next - thinking about getting as much high volume as possible in the back to make it as compliant as possible.

    Any tire setup recommendations are very welcome and appreciated as it's raining here in Austin for the next 2 days so plenty of time for arm-chair-theory research
    I ride mostly hard-pack with loose sections and good amount of rocks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rsullivan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    845
    Quote Originally Posted by kermit_xc View Post
    I have recently switched to a Nimble 9 after several years on a XC FS bike. The Nimble is a great bike - I didn't realize what I have been missing this whole time. But now I am wondering how much I can push the rear tire clearance wise.

    I am currently riding with Ground Control 2.3 front and back and it looks like there is plenty of room. And since the tires are close to being done I am wondering what's next - thinking about getting as much high volume as possible in the back to make it as compliant as possible.

    Any tire setup recommendations are very welcome and appreciated as it's raining here in Austin for the next 2 days so plenty of time for arm-chair-theory research
    I ride mostly hard-pack with loose sections and good amount of rocks
    what year N9? the new 2017 is Boosted and I am running 43mm rims with 27.5x2.8 Maxxis Recon in mine... plenty of clearance

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    117
    2015 ... not a boost for sure

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rsullivan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    845
    Quote Originally Posted by kermit_xc View Post
    2015 ... not a boost for sure
    have had 2.8 27.5+ in that year along with 2.4 ardents.. which a a big volume tire..

  5. #5
    Chilling out
    Reputation: bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,893
    I have a Gen2 with Conti Mountain King Protection/Apex 2.4 on 35mm wide Light-Bicycle carbon rims. Tons and tons of space and the MK/P/Apex is a very tall tire.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: John Jencks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    434
    I just put a 2.6 Nobby Nick in the back of my gen 1. Haven't ridden it yet, but excited to.

  7. #7
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    22,426
    If it were me, I'd opt to rebuild my wheels or sell them and buy new 650B ones with an IW of 30mm> and go for the B+ setup. Don't specifically own a N9, but do own a Paradox which is quite similar and once I gave B+ a go, will most definitely never go back, not on a rigid or HT.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    117
    Oh, so I have seen this come up before ... what exactly is B+ ? And how is a wider tire going to fit on a 27.5 setup vs a 29?

  9. #9
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    22,426
    There's a good thread on it someplace, lost the link, but name was something like "B+ Nimble9 Fun as Hell"
    Canfield Yelli Screamy with 27.5+ tires
    B+ Canfield stoke !!

    Quote Originally Posted by kermit_xc View Post
    Oh, so I have seen this come up before ... what exactly is B+ ? And how is a wider tire going to fit on a 27.5 setup vs a 29?
    Last edited by LyNx; 12-28-2016 at 06:33 PM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  10. #10
    Canfield Brothers
    Reputation: flymybike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,103
    As a reference, a Nimble was designed to fit a 29" 2.5 tire comfortably and in a 2015 it will fit a 2.8 tire with a 35I rim. Some tires are better fit than others but generally this will fit well.
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by rsullivan View Post
    what year N9? the new 2017 is Boosted and I am running 43mm rims with 27.5x2.8 Maxxis Recon in mine... plenty of clearance
    is that an internal 43mm? trying to figure out if an i40 Scraper w/ 2.8 will fit. Can you post clearance pictures?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    28
    You put a 29x2.6 NObby Nic in the rear? If so, how is the clearance?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jencks View Post
    I just put a 2.6 Nobby Nick in the back of my gen 1. Haven't ridden it yet, but excited to.
    You put a 29x2.6 NObby Nic in the rear? If so, how is the clearance?

  14. #14
    Captain Climber
    Reputation: Jem7sk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    935
    I have a 2.4 Racing ralph and it fits good. I'd love to see what that 2.6 looks like as well.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    23
    Yes please, I would like to see what a 2.6 X 29 Nobby Nic looks like too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    I have a 2.4 Racing ralph and it fits good. I'd love to see what that 2.6 looks like as well.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-02-2015, 11:36 AM
  2. Rear Tire Recommendation for Mud/Wet Roots
    By skibum1321 in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-02-2014, 06:18 AM
  3. Widest rear tire on Nimble?
    By TheRedMantra in forum Canfield
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-11-2013, 07:59 AM
  4. Rear tire recommendation
    By DarkKnight369 in forum 29er Components
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-02-2012, 03:19 AM
  5. Rear tire recommendation
    By bassn in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-29-2012, 11:11 PM

Members who have read this thread: 7

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •