Jacob 34:19

Nimble 9 drive train questions

Just ordered a Nimble 9 and am starting to figure out a game plan on the drive train. I intend to run it single speed and have a wheel set based around White Industry SS hubs.

From what I've read, my 180mm ENO cranks are not going to work since I need a 113mm spindle for the chain line. I'm running a 34T ring up front. A cassette hub would make it easier to move the chain line out but I'd really like to try to use my WI wheel set and I'm not crazy about running too long of a ST spindle.

I've also got a set of 180mm XT M770's that I could use but I've read concerns about 180mm cranks clearing in general. Is anyone else using 180's?

What about the eThirteen XC crankset. Has anyone tried that crankset on the Nimble 9? That's another one I'm interested in trying but I have no idea if it would be any better or worse than the others.

I suppose I could just wait for my frame to show up and try them but I thought I'd pick the brain of the collective MTBR body. Thanks in advance for your input.
    I buy stuff from Milltown Cycles.

Jacob 34:19
    Major props to Chris Canfield.

Shortly before I posted these questions, I had tried to call Canfield. I got their answering machine but didn't leave a message figuring they were busy and I've got at least a week before my frame would show up. 2 hours later, I get a call back from Chris. He'd pulled my phone number from their caller ID and wanted to make sure I was take care of. That's great service. Thanks Chris.

I ran these questions by him and bottom line is, with the chainline on the WI hub being 47.5mm, there's little chance I'll get my 34T ring that far inboard. And even if I change my gearing, there's a good chance I'll have clearance issues with 180mm crank arms. All speculation of course and I'll know for sure soon enough.
    I buy stuff from Milltown Cycles.

trail rat
    There are a couple Nimble 9 threads in the 29er forum and they mention having trouble with WI cranks, and 34t chainring clearance with all cranks. Look for posts from RyanG and sslos.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'm running mine 1 x 9 w/ a 34t on a set of 175mm XT cranks...no issues. There are a couple of guy's running 180's (XT's I think) with no reported issues. Good luck and post up your build when you get it done!

30-ton War Machine
    XT has a 50mm chainline though correct? The other issue is a lot of flex in the WI crank/BB.

mtbr member
    So what is the verdict on running White Ind. 180's on the Nimble 9?