Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Nimble 9 build Advice

New member here, but long time forum creeper. I'm a new rider, started last year on a Trek 3700 that I still own and ride for $200, but have been looking at steel SS frames for months. I've seen the Surly KM, Soma Juice, Redline monocog, Kona Unit, etc. options and have finally decided to get a Nimble 9. However, because I am new to building up bikes from just a frame I'm not sure of what parts to get. I am spreading the build out for about 4/5 months so that I can get good quality parts. I'll buy the frame last because it's the most expensive part, but I want everything I buy up to that point to be able to fit on it. I'm hoping to have it built by summer so that I can ride it then. In the mean time i'll continue riding the Trek. Heres what I've looked at so far:

Frame: Nimble 9. ( not sure on size I'm 6'1'', 36" inseam @ 170#'s, I was thinking Large?)
    Wheelset: Was thinking SunRingle Charger Expert from Chain reaction Cycles for $255
    Tires: Ardents Max size allowable
    Saddle: I like the Charge Spoon that i have on my Fixed gear Road bike.
    Pedals: VP Vice or something?
    Brakes: BB7 or something?
    Seatpost: ?
    Fork: 120mm not sure what kind though, but reasonably priced would be nice.
    Crank:?
    Stem?
    Handlebars?

What you guys think? Can you steer a fellow stoked Nimble 9 prospect in the right direction components wise? Thanks.

29er
    Apr 2010
    are you going to run it as a SS?

mtbr member
    Got a link for those $255 Charger Experts? Can't find 'em on CRC.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Yes I'm going to run SS.

As far as the link I can't link things until I have 10 posts. They are the 2011 version.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Got a link for those $255 Charger Experts? Can't find 'em on CRC.
    Think these are it:
    Sun Ringle Charger Expert Wheelset - 29" 2011 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Yup that's them. What do you think of them? should I get them for the build? I'm relatively light so 28 spokes wouldn't be that bad. Unless 3-4' drops is to much for them? What fork would fit into them if I got them?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VertKurt View Post
    Yup that's them. What do you think of them? should I get them for the build? I'm relatively light so 28 spokes wouldn't be that bad. Unless 3-4' drops is to much for them? What fork would fit into them if I got them?

I had a set of charger pros on my one for 3 rides. They were my first and last sun ringle product. A spoke broke in the rear, I called SR and my shop every couple weeks for a year trying to get a replacement. No joy. I think I paid about $20 per mile that wheel was useful.

I know people say proprietary spokes have that problem, but I've been able to get replacements from Cane Creek, Mavic, Easton and Fulcrum in 2-3 days. CC was happy to send me some gratis long after they stopped making wheels even.

If those wheels were $20-30 I'd risk it, if they were $50 I'd think they were overpriced. For $250 I think you'd be an idiot to buy them. 3-4" drops would be too much for them, let alone 3-4'

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks for that. What do you suggest then, the usual Stans flows hope pro 2s? Anything around $400, but still reliable?

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    I've had a different experience w/ my SR Charger Pros. While at first I needed to stay on top of the tension (had a couple spokes in the back that kept loosening up), they finally settled down and have been fine under my 200#. Now, I don't go bigger than 2 feet on that bike (an AnthemX29er), but I've banged them through plenty of rock gardens and they're still true. I found spare straight-pull spokes in the right length on CRC and ordered a couple, but have not needed them.
    Just another data point, and it may not be valid since it's a FS.
    For the OP, I'd find a way to afford the SLX brakes from blueskycycling. For a seatpost, I'm running a layback Moots on my N9, but if you're getting one of the newer frames w/ the larger diam. seat tube (losing the 'give' of a 27.2 Ti post), you might want to look at the On-One Twelfty or Salsa Shafts as very good options at less-than-Thomson prices. Have fun with the build!
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Are the slx brakes better then the BB7's? I can get the BB7 kit from blue sky for a pretty good price. BlueSkyCycling.com - 2011 Avid BB7 Disc Brake Combo Kit
    Not sure what fork they'd be compatible with though.

Thanks for the suggestion of seatposts. I'm really confused on the wheelset though. It sounds like if I'm doing any kind of drops, which I will be doing, then the Sun Ringle are not a good choice. Any good choices for wheels sets in the $400 range?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    I had a set of charger pros on my one for 3 rides. They were my first and last sun ringle product. A spoke broke in the rear, I called SR and my shop every couple weeks for a year trying to get a replacement. No joy. I think I paid about $20 per mile that wheel was useful.

I know people say proprietary spokes have that problem, but I've been able to get replacements from Cane Creek, Mavic, Easton and Fulcrum in 2-3 days. CC was happy to send me some gratis long after they stopped making wheels even.

If those wheels were $20-30 I'd risk it, if they were $50 I'd think they were overpriced. For $250 I think you'd be an idiot to buy them. 3-4" drops would be too much for them, let alone 3-4'
    You're doing it wrong then.

I own the 2011 Sun Ringle Charger Experts 29er and mine have been bombproof all season long, I was worried about the low spoke count too as last year I weighed 260 on a good day, but they've held up beautifully for AM/trail duties, with drops of 3" as well, and I rarely land pretty. I do not miss my Hope Pro 2 / Mavic EX721 one bit. They even sound similar.

As for Sun Ringle customer service, my LBS ordered a steel freehub body from them for my wheelset with zero problems, and just last month I managed to break a spoke right at the nipple fooling around in the snow in the yard, kinda weird as I've thrashed them all summer long and nothing happened. Either way, Sun Ringle was super quick to answer my emails about spoke lengths, but more importantly I told them that I wasn't able to find them anywhere online (Wheelsmith DB14 black 280mm and 281mm), and I received a package of five each in the next couple of days, free of course.

I would buy this wheelset over again in a heartbeat for under $350 (I paid a little over $300), but if we're talking about 450+, then I'd be inclined to build a Hope Pro 2 Evo / Flow EX wheelset.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks Euro. Sounds like you are pleased with your purchase and at $255 from CRC it's a good deal. I think I'll go ahead and place an order for these Sun Ringles at the end of the month if they are still at this price and in stock.

Now, any fork recommendations? The trails I ride are pretty rocky so not sure if I want to go Rigid or not. I was looking at 120mm forks, but that could change. I saw the manitou tower pro, magura, fox, rock shox equivalent of 120mm and they all looked good, but not sure which is recommended.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I got my Marocchi tst2 for 260.00 on an ebay closeout. It isn't light but it feels great and is a great deal for the money.

mtbr member
    Thanks Euro. Sounds like you are pleased with your purchase and at $255 from CRC it's a good deal. I think I'll go ahead and place an order for these Sun Ringles at the end of the month if they are still at this price and in stock.

Now, any fork recommendations? The trails I ride are pretty rocky so not sure if I want to go Rigid or not. I was looking at 120mm forks, but that could change. I saw the manitou tower pro, magura, fox, rock shox equivalent of 120mm and they all looked good, but not sure which is recommended.
    Yeah, but those wheels from CRC are only QR, which kinda limits fork choice. I sure know I wouldn't want a 29er fork (which is noodly enough already with 32mm stanchions) to get QR on it. The 2011 Experts were either QR front and back, or 15QR/20mm front and QR back or 142x12. The wheelset from CRC is unfortunately not convertible to anything in the front. The 2012 Experts are convertible.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks. I'll go look it up. Right now I'm looking at cranks and have come across some reasonably priced options.

mtbr member
    For budget cranks, I'd look no further than Shimano SLX. I love mine and still going strong, look better than XT, and only sightly heavier.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks again Eurospeak for the wisdom. Like I said this is my first time building up a frame other than my Fixed roadie so I'm not sure what components fit. So I'm curious what the QR rims limit the forks to. My trek has QR on the front, but the fork is pretty cheap.

mtbr member
    I meant limits fork selection, not too many still offer QR. The QR is going to be a lot more flexy too. A 15QR or even 20mm thru axle type fork will be much stiffer. QR on the back of a hardtail is fine.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    IMO, yes, the SLX are so much better, and not much more money. Good brakes (vs. avg. brakes) are gonna make you much faster and more confident than, for instance, the same price difference on good vs. avg. cranks. You can get inexpensive rotors (they needn't be Shimano) at pricepoint.com.
    I should clarify on the matter of SR wheels and drops. I'm an inelegant rider, and I've got a burlier bike for Moab-type riding, so while the Charger Pros might hold up to more than what I put them through, I'm not willing to push it and risk folding them since I've got other options.
    On forks, go 120mm suspension and get whatever is the best deal. Lately that's been the Manitou. Whatever you do, get a 20mm or 15mm TA, not a 9mm QR. And of course, get wheels with a front hub to match.
    - Joe

Are the slx brakes better then the BB7's? I can get the BB7 kit from blue sky for a pretty good price. BlueSkyCycling.com - 2011 Avid BB7 Disc Brake Combo Kit
    Not sure what fork they'd be compatible with though.

Thanks for the suggestion of seatposts. I'm really confused on the wheelset though. It sounds like if I'm doing any kind of drops, which I will be doing, then the Sun Ringle are not a good choice. Any good choices for wheels sets in the $400 range?
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    found this
    2010 55 Micro Air TI | eBay

and

Marzocchi Suspension Bomber Fork 29" 44 TST2 | eBay

What do you think? I saw the micro ti is 20mmQR and the 44tst2 is 15mmQR. Couldn't find a headtube diameter anywhere though.

mtbr member

Cranks

On both my Yelli Screamy and my Nimble9, I'm using the Sram X9 spiderless crankset with a MRP Bling ring on the YS and a HBC ring on the N9. It's really easy to set up, works good and looks great.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    found this
    2010 55 Micro Air TI | eBay

and

Marzocchi Suspension Bomber Fork 29" 44 TST2 | eBay

What do you think? I saw the micro ti is 20mmQR and the 44tst2 is 15mmQR. Couldn't find a headtube diameter anywhere though.

the 55 is for 26" wheels.
    And the steerer on the 44 is very short. Double, triple check that it's going to be long enough (because it probably isn't).

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I didn't see where it says how long the steerer tube is on that fork. See if you can find out and the allow about 40 or mm for stem stack height plus at least 20mm in spacers plus whatever the stack height is on your headset. If it checks out that is a good fork for the money. I like mine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    the 55 is for 26" wheels.
    And the steerer on the 44 is very short. Double, triple check that it's going to be long enough (because it probably isn't).
    Crap didnt realize the 44 was for 26" wheels, bummer. Well I'll keep looking for forks then that might fit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by WVJon75 View Post
    I didn't see where it says how long the steerer tube is on that fork. See if you can find out and the allow about 40 or mm for stem stack height plus at least 20mm in spacers plus whatever the stack height is on your headset. If it checks out that is a good fork for the money. I like mine.
    It's in the pictures. It shows 7". It still has several days left, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast