Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    2 wheel drifter
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    I have had 3 N9's, and I had everyone chased and faced. Do you really need to? No, but I wanted everything to go together without a hitch. Having a frame c and f'd doesn't only remove excess paint, but it also aligns the mating surfaces of the bb and head tube allowing for a parallel cup install.
    Sound advice. I feel like I have a devil and angel on each shoulder! Experience shows lazy usually wins, but I won't argue that you're doing best practices.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Please Delete
    Last edited by kenaiking; 03-24-2018 at 12:26 PM. Reason: never mind

Ride On
    Been running the nine in full moto mode the past few rides, Iím freakin digging this setup! B+ rear, 29 front.

Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldooka View Post
    Been running the nine in full moto mode the past few rides, Iím freakin digging this setup! B+ rear, 29 front.

What size rim and tire up front?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ride On
    Old flow front 23mm internal, DHF 2.5 3C

Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Have you tried or thought about 29/3.0 up front?

Ride On
    Quote Originally Posted by racefit View Post
    Have you tried or thought about 29/3.0 up front?

Not on the Nimble I do have a Krampus so Iím familiar with 29+ in full rigid guise.

Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Not on the Nimble I do have a Krampus so Iím familiar with 29+ in full rigid guise.

Oh cool!

Can you compare/contrast the N9 and Krampus?

Iíve been wanting to build a Krampus SS for a while but am hesitant on the geometry. Iím a big Surly fan, but addicted to Canfield cockpit and geo. Mostly revolves around stack heights. Hence why I was thinking of making my SS Nimble a mixed plus.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleighguy29 View Post

Blinding

Ride On
    Oh cool!

Can you compare/contrast the N9 and Krampus?

Iíve been wanting to build a Krampus SS for a while but am hesitant on the geometry. Iím a big Surly fan, but addicted to Canfield cockpit and geo. Mostly revolves around stack heights. Hence why I was thinking of making my SS Nimble a mixed plus.

Racefit I can try they are set up quite differently having said that I did set up the Krampus as a 29 ht prior to pulling the trigger on the nine to make sure Iíd be happy with a ht again. The Krampus in its original guise is a brilliant bike and Iíve ridden it rigid in the same terrain Iíd ride my other slacker lower and suspended beasts on. The ride will obviously be different but it can handle it fine. The giant wheels make up for missing suspension in many circumstances but particularly in the small bump and roots and riding over holes rather than dropping in. 29+ is really good at maintaining momentum so rolling trails are supper fun on the Krampus and the legacy green machine I have has a 55 B.B. drop so you can just pedal over everything without fear of strikes. Itís also really good at dealing with different types of terrain, from asphalt to gravel to trail or places with no trails, even riding over tall grass those big wheels just want to keep monster trucking over things. In that way itís really fun to ride. Where itís very different particularly vs the nine is in agility the nine is far more agile even in plus mode for me the smaller wheels and crazy short rear end make it easier to pop off little drops and pin point my way down rough sections. With the Krampus I just roll over that stuff! Which is its own type of fun.

Regarding cockpit keep in mind I run my nine with a -2į anglset and a 120 fork this extends the reach quite a bit, steepens the seat angle and lowers the stack a lot. Iím at about 440 reach and north of 75 on the seat angle changes I love. In stock set up the Krampus has a much lower stack I run 40mm in spacers and a high rise bar itís also longer in seated position because of the 72.5 seat angle on mine. The real issue I have with it for aggressive riding is the lack of reach itís just far too short for me now (I find even 440 too short now). The sensation is that the bars are under me rather than in front of me and that feeling sucks when your pinning it and come up on a jump faster than you prepared for, if you know what I mean.

As to the frame itself I think the steel used in the legacy green Krampus is actually better quality than the nine. Itís lighter and has that nice pingy resilience that I dig in a steel frame. I donít think thatís the case for all Surlys though I also have a current model Straggler and donít feel that way about that frame. Iíve also heard that the new Krampus is not as nice riding as the older gen so ymmv.

Good luck on your experiments! Itís all good fun.
    Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I like a good beer - but i think i may need that beer holder! The capability of the N9 is astounding!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Hi Anybody successfully running an oval chainring on a 104bcd on a boost nn? (I read all the chainring posts but no satisfaction)

mtbr member
    Iím running a 32 oval on mine. With bros cranks and B.B. 30 0 offset

Ride On
    Nine. Full chub.

Michael

Ride on!

rollin
    Nine. Full chub.
    How do you like this setup?

Ride On

Nimble 9 Boost Ė Now In Stock!

Quote Originally Posted by sriracha View Post
    How do you like this setup?
    Diggin it so far. Setup is Rekon DC 2.8 rear and DHF DC 2.8 from on 32mm internal rims. It helps that these are a really blingy light weight wheelset. I accidentally purchased the DHF in the DC whereas I normally use a 3C up front I did notice the front not sticking as well as usual but my first ride was pretty sloppy. In the end it may work out well as things dry out.

Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    -fb_img_1525020906590.jpg

Finally got mine put together! Although I broke my wrist the day before I got it back so can't try it out for 10 weeks
    Doh!

Ride On
    Nice ride bdoss. Bummer about your injury. Hopefully youíll get to get her dirty soon.

Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    Another blues brother. Welcome to the club.

Still waiting for my bar, stem and shifter. Should arrive this coming week, then I can spend the rainy weekend putting it together.
    Did you ever get your parts? Wondering how the 2.6 Rekon fit and what id rim you used.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by willawry'd View Post
    Wondering how the 2.6 Rekon fit and what id rim you used.
    Has anyone confirmed a Rekon 29x2.6 fits? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    This was my wintertime build. 27.5x3.0 on ibis 738. XT/SLX drivetrain with sunrace 11-46. Some fancy hope purple bits. 30 lbs on the dot. Really enjoy this bike. My Evil Following has taken a time out for the past few months.-nn.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jdnewe01 View Post
    This was my wintertime build. 27.5x3.0 on ibis 738. XT/SLX drivetrain with sunrace 11-46. Some fancy hope purple bits. 30 lbs on the dot. Really enjoy this bike. My Evil Following has taken a time out for the past few months.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NN.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	350.0 KB 
ID:	1199745

Did you have to move the chainstay back with the 27.5x3.0 Ground Controls or is it slammed forward?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Have it slammed forward. Haven't had any rubbing, but it's tight. I've had the bike caked in mud a few times and no issues.

rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by SCTerp View Post
    I'm wondering the same thing. Bueller???

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SCTerp View Post
    It fits with i32 (duroc 35) slammed forward...barely. I'd guess around 2 (maybe 2.5) to 3mm gap from the side lugs and chainstay. Mounted the tire ~12 hours ago w/30psi.

I'll check it again tomorrow and try to take some meaningful pics.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    edit: using the wife's eyes, there's a 3.5mm gap (side and center lugs) slammed forward so far...

Ride On

edit: using the wife's eyes, there's a 3.5mm gap (side and center lugs) slammed forward so far...
    Nice. In that case I think itís fair to say it will fit with room to spare pulled back a bit.
    Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    anyone tried to set up an n9 with rigid fork?
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spyghost View Post
    anyone tried to set up an n9 with rigid fork?
    You could go back one page in this thread.

rollin

Thanks for sharing the pic and info! How do you like the tires?

I'm going to try the Rekon 2.6 with i35 Spank Oozy Trail 395+ rims on my Nimble 9. I still have more parts to acquire, so it will be a while.

Do you have any pics showing the whole bike? Interested to see what big 29'er tires look like on the rig.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha View Post
    Thanks for sharing the pic and info! How do you like the tires?

I'm going to try the Rekon 2.6 with i35 Spank Oozy Trail 395+ rims on my Nimble 9. I still have more parts to acquire, so it will be a while.

Do you have any pics showing the whole bike? Interested to see what big 29'er tires look like on the rig.
    Never rode with it in the rear, moved it to the front once I got the XR2 (2.6). Took a few rides on the Rekon to get used to the feedback on uneven terrain. The side lugs tend to growl when digging through the corners at speed...almost sounds like that nasty growl tires give out just before they burp. Guess it's a little more squared off to the rounded profiles like the ardent race/ikon combo that I normally run? I will say that the grip is impressive (loose over hardpack). I'm reminded how loose it is when on my rigid SS, with 2.35s.
    Hope this helps:
    -20180628_142405_.jpg

rollin
    Looks good! The tires don't look as large as I thought they would.
    Why did you switch the rear tire out?
    Do you have any other pics, from a front or rear 45į angle, not straight on from the side?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks for the pics willawryíd. Needed that to confirm the tires would fit slammed forward.

29x2.6 Maxxis Rekon on Stan's ARCH MK3 rims.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Nice ride bdoss. Bummer about your injury. Hopefully youíll get to get her dirty soon.

After 12 weeks off the bike, finally getting back out on some trails. Loving the bike so far!-nimble9.jpg

mtbr member
    So, I've got the following parts sitting in my market basket from the Canfield website...

N9 Boost Frame, XL, Blue
    DVO Diamond 140
    RaceFace Turbine Dropper
    Canfield Brothers Cranks

With the $425 discount my total with tax is $1,992.47.

Planning to build this up as a single speed, probably 27.5+ and wondering if I should switch to the MRP fork based on the commentary earlier in this thread.

Any other input, build suggestions, etc.?
    2016 Ibis Mojo 3 Custom Self Build (for the chunk)
    2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc (for the road)

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

I have an SS Nimble with 27.5+ and itís the most fun bike Iíve ever owned.

I have a DVO Diamond at 140mm and itís awesome.

mtbr member
    I have an SS Nimble with 27.5+ and itís the most fun bike Iíve ever owned.

I have a DVO Diamond at 140mm and itís awesome.

Great. Thank you for the input.

Anyone else care to chime in?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    For the dvo diamond, its super solid riding - damping is very controlled and stiffness excellent.

Do note, the a2c is a bit higher and the shock rides fairly high in the travel so you have to work to keep weight on the front. Also if you get the non boost diamond the arch is quite small and restrictive for tire size (like 2.35 - gasp!) but the boost version doesn't suffer from this.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drdre View Post
    For the dvo diamond, its super solid riding - damping is very controlled and stiffness excellent.

Do note, the a2c is a bit higher and the shock rides fairly high in the travel so you have to work to keep weight on the front. Also if you get the non boost diamond the arch is quite small and restrictive for tire size (like 2.35 - gasp!) but the boost version doesn't suffer from this.
    Very helpful input. Thank you!

mtbr member
    Iíve got my nimble ss 27.5+ with a 150 mrp ribbon and damn itís fun.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Quote Originally Posted by drdre View Post

This is true but the N9 has a high stack height and accepts an long AC quite well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    This is true but the N9 has a high stack height and accepts a long AC quite well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I found the stack height excessive with the dvo - now on a pike which has been very good but given an extra 200$, I would do the mrp coil.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Iím of the opinion that most of the differences of opinion in forks and shocks comes down to lack of proper setup and lack of maintenance.

Personally I fall somewhere in the middle. With that in mind I really liked the idea of DVOís customer support and setup info/videos as well as the ability to maintain their stuff with little to no special tools and again the help of maintenance videos etc.

mtbr member
    Got the build all planned out. Just waiting to hear from the brothers regarding inventory and shipping logistics to Competitive Cyclist, which I plan to use to finish off the build. Here's what I'm planning...

Nimble 9 XL blue
    DVO Diamond Boost 140 green
    Cranks, 30t chainring, and bottom bracket from the brothers (165 mm cranks)
    E13 TRS carbon hoops laced to Onyx hubs
    Shimano XT brake package (4-piston, 180/180)
    Maxxis Rekon 27.5+ in 2.8" tires front and rear
    SDG Tellis dropper post
    SDG Fly MTN Ti-Alloy saddle
    SRAM PC971 chain
    Niner Cogalicious 19t rear cog
    Surly single speed spacer kit
    Deity cockpit
    Deity seat clamp

The accent color will be that obnoxious fluorescent green to match the fork.

Any and all feedback is welcome!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ABQ Clydesdale View Post
    Got the build all planned out. Just waiting to hear from the brothers regarding inventory and shipping logistics to Competitive Cyclist, which I plan to use to finish off the build. Here's what I'm planning...

Nimble 9 XL blue
    DVO Diamond Boost 140 green
    Cranks, 30t chainring, and bottom bracket from the brothers (165 mm cranks)
    E13 TRS carbon hoops laced to Onyx hubs
    Shimano XT brake package (4-piston, 180/180)
    Maxxis Rekon 27.5+ in 2.8" tires front and rear
    SDG Tellis dropper post
    SDG Fly MTN Ti-Alloy saddle
    SRAM PC971 chain
    Niner Cogalicious 19t rear cog
    Surly single speed spacer kit
    Deity cockpit
    Deity seat clamp

The accent color will be that obnoxious fluorescent green to match the fork.

Any and all feedback is welcome!

I have my nimble9 set up very similar besides Iím using a 150 ribbon but same tires I would go with 170 cranks. I just put some 170s on my balance to try for the difference between them and the 165s that weíre on it. And I like the 170s better but thatís me

mtbr member
    I appreciate that input. Unfortunately the brothers are out of 170 cranks, so 165 it is.

Gigantic Hawk
    Quote Originally Posted by ABQ Clydesdale View Post
    I appreciate that input. Unfortunately the brothers are out of 170 cranks, so 165 it is.
    The 165's are money on the Nimble. Love mine.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345