Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Hello everyone. Great builds. Any tall riders on an XL? I'm 6'5" and was wondering if it would be big enough.

Also, anyone been bikepacking with it? I know it is not an idea bikepacking bike, but I am looking for a do it all second bike.

My main ride is an XXL Stumpjumper FSR 6Fattie. I plan on upgrading the stumpy and moving the original parts to a hardtail frame. The N9 and the Honzo ST are the two that I am looking at.

Thanks for any advice you all may have.

Ride On
    I cant comment on sizing except to say if it is similar to your existing ride and you like your existing ride Id be comfortable with that.

I think it would make an excellent bike packing bike. The variety of wheels you can squeeze into the frame being one of the key benefits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Pic from Maiden Voyage
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -20180116_125722.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mayha View Post
    Pic from Maiden Voyage
    Havent had my new chrome beast out yet for its maiden voyage. Waiting for trails to dry out or freeze back up. Great looking bike man

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldooka View Post
    I cant comment on sizing except to say if it is similar to your existing ride and you like your existing ride Id be comfortable with that.

I think it would make an excellent bike packing bike. The variety of wheels you can squeeze into the frame being one of the key benefits.
    Thanks for your thoughts. I'll try to see if I can throw a leg over an XL to get a feel for the sizing.

One ring to mash them all
    Add me to the cult. XL blue N9 on the way.
    \(_o)/

mtbr member
    Great looking bikes and builds on here! Congrads to all that ride this beast.
    My question I want this frame.. I'm 6'2" at 250 and ride aggressive when I can.. epics..popping off stuff..etc. anyway.. do you think this frame will hold .. ( prop a stupid question...it's steel) and would YOU take this to SedonA??? I have a trip coming up and wouldn't mind trying this bike out there... what you think?
    k n o ll y r o c k s

MTB B'dos
    No personal experience with the N9, but I'd say if you like how the XXL SJ feels, then most likely you will be good with the XL N9 as the Reach measurement is only 4mm shorter, easily compensated for with a longer stem. What you will notice that's different and that should be easy to compensate for is the effective Seat Tube Angle, it's 1.2* slacker on the N9 as it's a HT, which will steepen up when the fork is sagged, so should only be about .3-.5* slacker and you should set it up to suit, Also saying that, when you sag the fork the effective reach will also lengthen bringing things closer or maybe even longer than the Stumpy.

One other thing to remember if you're looking to swap the dropper is that for some reason spesh likes to make their frames with similar steep STA as everyone else, but then uses a setback post, so in reality the effective STA is actually slacker running that post.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyham View Post
    Hello everyone. Great builds. Any tall riders on an XL? I'm 6'5" and was wondering if it would be big enough.

My main ride is an XXL Stumpjumper FSR 6Fattie. I plan on upgrading the stumpy and moving the original parts to a hardtail frame. The N9 and the Honzo ST are the two that I am looking at.

Thanks for any advice you all may have.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Coming together bit by bit...

-img_0706.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by babybabe View Post
    Coming together bit by bit...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0706.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	1183162
    Curios as to why you putting a rigid fork on that beast. Makes no sense to me but each his own. Heres mine just ordered the last part I needed. Chrome dropper lever

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleighguy29 View Post
    Curios as to why you putting a rigid fork on that beast. Makes no sense to me but each his own. Heres mine just ordered the last part I needed. Chrome dropper lever

That's a nice build!

Why not rigid? My plan is to ride this bike as a SS, mostly on the less rocky trails around here, the fast, hardpack single track with the occasional rock garden and root mess. If that goes well, I'll take it on the rougher stuff, likely picking my way through the hazards rather than blowing over them. Don't imagine I'll find that too fun. If it turns out that I want to bash, then I'll swap out the fork. For now, the bike gets xc tires and an itinerary of smoothish trails. I'll ride my FS on the rough stuff.

How is the CB crank working for you?

MTB B'dos
    Absolutely agree, rigid is fun, forces you to ride light and pick your lines, not just let the suspension get you through everything, you know, ride the bike instead of being along for the ride

Put some 3" plus rubber on that baby and you'll see how much more rough stuff it'll handle and not feel like you're getting beat to crap as opposed to regular 2.3-2.4" tyres

Why not rigid? My plan is to ride this bike as a SS, mostly on the less rocky trails around here, the fast, hardpack single track with the occasional rock garden and root mess. If that goes well, I'll take it on the rougher stuff, likely picking my way through the hazards rather than blowing over them. Don't imagine I'll find that too fun. If it turns out that I want to bash, then I'll swap out the fork. For now, the bike gets xc tires and an itinerary of smoothish trails. I'll ride my FS on the rough stuff.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Put some 3" plus rubber on that baby and you'll see how much more rough stuff it'll handle and not feel like you're getting beat to crap as opposed to regular 2.3-2.4" tyres
    Excellent point. Definitely considered 650+ for just that reason but opted for 29s. If the 2.2/2.35 combo that's going on is too harsh, I'll try bumping up.

mtbr member
    That's a nice build!

I love the Cb cranks have them on all 4 of my Canfields. Im running mine single speed as well. I k is its hard to find a rigid fork that can put a bike like these In their proper geo. Ive got mine set up with a 150 ribbon air and 27.5x2.8 tires. Ive got a epo riot and balance for other rides

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Only 4 Canfields? Good to know about the cranks. Looking forward to trying them out. This fork is 490 axle to crown, so it's not too bad. (Probably similar to your fork when compressed.) Niner, Carver, Whiskey etc... are making rigids for these slacker bikes. But I've seen some N9s on the web with crazy big forks on them that look like a hoot to ride...

MTB B'dos
    Was actually talking 29 PLUS for the front, something 3", nice and big on an i40-45 rim, side benefit is it then slackens out the front a tad more and really helps with absorbing the chatter and bumps. Couple that with a nice B+ 2.8-3" in the rear on a i35-40 rim and you've basically got a magic carpet type ride out of rigid.

Excellent point. Definitely considered 650+ for just that reason but opted for 29s. If the 2.2/2.35 combo that's going on is too harsh, I'll try bumping up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Was actually talking 29 PLUS for the front, something 3", nice and big on an i40-45 rim, side benefit is it then slackens out the front a tad more and really helps with absorbing the chatter and bumps. Couple that with a nice B+ 2.8-3" in the rear on a i35-40 rim and you've basically got a magic carpet type ride out of rigid.
    I get it. Sounds a little heavy for a bike that's main purpose is to fly uphill, but you're right: those tires would suck up a lot of edges. Back in the mid-70s when I was a kid in Pennsylvania I ran the stock rear wheel and big, fat front rim and tire from another bike on my trail bmx and it was a blast. I have some 32mm wide wheels coming, but who knows how this thing is going to evolve.

Ride On

Nimble 9 Boost Now In Stock!

Lucked out and received my 9.8 dropper the day I left for a work trip, where I planned to bring the N9. Finished the install on the ferry, sweet! Got to sample the trails on Burke Mountain in Coquitlam a suburb of Vancouver after work the past couple of nights, nice little trails and was treated to a snow ❄️ ride on night 2.

I had forgotten how good a bike the N9 is for pumping through rollers and popping off even the smallest lips. I freakin love the steep seat angle in my config it works amazingly with the short rear a perfect marriage of geo. Despite the crazy short stays and slack head angle the bike is calm on those stupid steep climbs.

Last edited by geraldooka; 2 Days Ago at 05:06 PM.
    Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Has any one with the matte fire orange frame have issues with the paint scratching or chipping? I've never had this issue with other frames but seems this one scratches just by looking at it and i haven't even crashed on it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    No personal experience with the N9, but I'd say if you like how the XXL SJ feels, then most likely you will be good with the XL N9 as the Reach measurement is only 4mm shorter, easily compensated for with a longer stem. What you will notice that's different and that should be easy to compensate for is the effective Seat Tube Angle, it's 1.2* slacker on the N9 as it's a HT, which will steepen up when the fork is sagged, so should only be about .3-.5* slacker and you should set it up to suit, Also saying that, when you sag the fork the effective reach will also lengthen bringing things closer or maybe even longer than the Stumpy.

One other thing to remember if you're looking to swap the dropper is that for some reason spesh likes to make their frames with similar steep STA as everyone else, but then uses a setback post, so in reality the effective STA is actually slacker running that post.
    Thanks LyNx. All things to consider.

-img_20180219_141421030.jpg
    \(_o)/

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180219_141421030.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	1183732
    Nice! I just finished building one of those up myself, and took it out for its first ride today.

-img_1237.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2017

Post deleted

Last edited by babybabe; 1 Day Ago at 08:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017

Shakedown time

-photo-feb-21-11-02-49-am-small.jpg

2018 N9 small
    Chris King 40 head set
    Niner steel fork
    Canfield Bros BB and crank
    Sram 9-speed chain
    Surly cog
    Hope Pro 4 SS/T rear hub (142 w/HUB493 boost conversion), Hope Pro 4 front hub
    Stan's Flow rims, DT Swiss Spokes, wheels built by Gravy
    Sram Guide R brakes (Thanks, 5k bike...)
    Thomson 50mm stem
    Thomson Elite seatpost
    Salsa Lip-lock sp clamp
    Chromag Fubar OSX bars

^2 byoots
    \(_o)/

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234